PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Garcia being shopped. Maybe Belichick knew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats have a way to solve malcontent players who show up on their doorstep so I wouldn't be overly worried about that possible isue with Garcia.

As for Garcia's play. In 13 games last year the guy threw for over 2400 yards including 13 TD's and just 4 INT's and went to the pro bowl. And that was with way past their prime WR's Galloway and Hilliard.

Originally Posted by mcsully
Honestly rather have him the Rattay or Simms anyday..

Really? I disagree completely.

First, I'd rather see what Cassel has than sign any other FA.

But Garcia is a much better option than Simms or Rattay. I think it was Football Outsiders who last year was singing Garcia's praises and basically saying he is one of the most underrated QBs of this era. He's had a QB rating over 90 four seasons in his career and his career rating is 87.0. Simms has a career 71 rating and Rattay with 81.9 in much more limited playing time, for reference.

Garcia is a good starting QB in the NFL. Can't say that about Simms or Rattay.

You guys are saying the same thing.
Dont you think BB would sit down with him, tell him what he expects from him and if he doesnt tow the line, he doesnt come here, its that simple.

Garcia's reputation as a malcontent comes from TO and John Gruden; which is a real case of pots and kettles. I heard no complaints about his attitude when he was at Philly (a very similar situation to the Pats now). The only concerns I would have are with his injury status and the fact that he performs better in the West Coast offense. When he had to play in a vertical passing offence with poor protection he flopped. However, the Patriots offence emphasises quick checkdowns and accurate passing both of which Garcia does well. I think he would suit Welker and Watson well and should be able to get Moss the ball enough to keep him happy.
Regardless of Cassel's potential, if we have a chance to sign a veteran QB with Garcia's record we have to do it.

I'm wondering if Brady has somehow veto'd the idea of signing a vet QB for now?
Just a guess from reading that SI article and the beautiful situation of having 3 system QB's on the roster without taking up the space of 3 QB's.

garcia wants to be a starter and has 2 yrs left on his contract. i dont see BB trading for him for 1 yr and then letting him and cassel both go next yr

Why not????

Year: 2006
Record: 6-2
TD/INT: 10/2
Final Result: NFC East Champions (1-1 Playoffs)

Year: 2007
Record: 8-5
TD/INT: 13/4
Final Result: NFC South Champions (0-1 Playoffs)

Not wanting Jeff Garcia based on his play alone is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm as big as a Let's go Cassel! guy there is but you have to at least consider this if it can actually happen. Personally I feel Garcia would be absolutely thrilled to come here and try to put together a career defining season.

He has four distinct disadvantages when compared with Matt G.

1. He is hurt.
2. He doesn't know the play book.
3. He will cost cap space.
4. He will cost at least one draft pick.

I think those are almost all advantages:
1. He wont need to start til Cassel messes it up(if he does)-a month is plenty of time to heel a sprained ankle.
2. He again will have a month to learn the playbook.
3. You cant take it with you, having a QB on the roster who knows playoff caliber defense cant be understated....we dont have one thats started a game yet!
4. The likelihood of a 5th rd pick making this team gets smaller all the time, for all of you Slater lovers you know what I mean. And if he fits he might not be a bad QB to keep as the 2-3 QB for the next couple years as well......

Matt G. can still be on the PS, nothing wrong with him there. But there is no reason Garcia cant do the same thing here that he did in Philly a few years ago. He never got a fair shot in Cleveland or Detroit, give the guy a chance, he is the best QB available and wouldnt be much of a risk.

Last edited:
For those of you on the fence, I give you Mrs. Jeff Garcia. (Apparently, Terrell Owens was wrong about Jeff being gay.)

http://xoomer.alice.it/ginello/cdc/images/04-lrg.jpg

Unless Garcia's wife starts throwing touchdown passes, that's completely irrelevant. Same goes for Cassel. He could start dating Shakira and it wouldn't make a difference to me. I'm judging him by his performance on the field.

Living just outside Tampa I figure I'd weigh in on my thoughts about Garcia. To me, if the Pats can pick him up for a reasonable price, he'd be a great pickup. However, the chance of that happening may be slim. GM Bruce Allen tends to drive a hard bargain; for example, his desire to get too much in return for Chris Simms, waiting for another team to overpay for him, was the reason no trade was ever made. He reportedly had multiple trade offers but kept wanting more or waiting for an injury that would make some other team desperate. The Pats don't overpay for players in trades or with their contracts, so this may not happen.

Garcia came in a year ago and became the team leader immediately in off-season OTA's. Although he made a game ending INT last week, he seldom makes bad decisions on the field. Garcia was a pro and team player all last year, just as he was in Philadelphia, and he is an accurate passer. He is ten times better than Simms or any of the other names being thrown out as possible replacements. The fact he wants to start is part of his competitive nature, just like most pro athletes.

Tampa Bay clinched the division with two games to go last year, so Gruden did not play him in those two games in order to avoid the risk of injury. He missed three games last year, but only one due to injury. Gruden's decision to sit Garcia cost him substantial bonus incentives that he would have made had he played. Apparently Gruden told Garcia he would be taken care of, but that never happened. This wasn't the first time Gruden didn't come through on a promise; he did the same thing with Keenan McCardell a few years ago which led to a prolonged holdout and eventual trade to the Chargers.

So while many fans focus on Garcia's age and the audacity of him to ask for an extension, this situation goes back to the bonuses - $1mil+ - not received and broken promises. Follow that up with Tampa Bay openly trying to trade for Favre, and now Gruden saying that Garcia needs to 'get right mentally' - i.e., he was benched and this is not due to an injury - and you have the potential for an ugly situation. That fact may give the Bucs incentive to trade him, and an out of conference team like the Pats would make more sense than an NFC team they face this year such as Chicago or Minnesota.

Here's a few links to what they're saying down here:
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article805345.ece
http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/4616
http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?topic=27866.0
http://bbs.buccaneers.com/showthread.php?t=163888

The guy, despite his size, is a monster on the field. He has the type of fire and desire to win that is hard to match. If they could get him, this is an absolute no brainer....

Garcia would be a great pickup.

Re: Garcia on the trading block?

Would I mind the Pats having the best backup in the league? No, no I would not.

Hindset is 20/20 but i thought this a long time ago, seriously. it is obvious their relationship (Gruden-Garcia) was rotting and the Favre thing put another hole in it.

I can see garcia here and would like to see him here. He is also a very mobile QB, makes good decisions and I think he is a smart QB, which Bill would like.....

He would be a nice pick up , only if AND IF, cassel fails.. But he needs 4 games..

He has four distinct disadvantages when compared with Matt G.

1. He is hurt.
2. He doesn't know the play book.
3. He will cost cap space.
4. He will cost at least one draft pick.

Rather than listing the reasons a QB with 113 starts, 150 TDs / 78 INTs is better than some undrafted free agent from Idaho that clears waivers without even getting a stiff... rather than all that, I will stick to your points.

1. I concede, if he is really injured then the gig is up.
2. Jimmy Johnson was on WEEI today, he said one year they picked up Bernie Kosar after 10 days he came into a playoff game for an injured Aikman and beat SF. The 'they don't know the playbook' thing is overrated for veterans, for unproven rookies it is a big deal for seasoned vets it is not that huge. Fahhh Fahhh Fahhrve seems to have picked up the Jests, plus he added his own ridiculous no look hail mary hook-shot into the mix.
3. Cap - What cap? When was the last time a team had cap trouble? The Redskins have spent like drunken asian blackjack players and always seem to have money. I think they could make the cap work.
4. Draft picks? Fans love their draft picks, remember the uproar when the traded a 2nd rounder for Welker? Man, what a dumb move that was. The team is stocked for next year a 1, two 2s, two 3s. Here is some recent 2nd round picks, some how I think a quality QB is worth more than all of them together. Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, Marquise Hill, Adrian Klemm. Yes, yes, there were some good ones Branch, Light, etc. but they don't help my case.

As a side note Garcia is the funniest interview I have ever heard, he talks like he is a cast member of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. The press conferences alone would be awesome.

3. Cap - What cap? When was the last time a team had cap trouble? The Redskins have spent like drunken asian blackjack players and always seem to have money. I think they could make the cap work.

But seriously folks, what is our cap situation? Also, how much cap space have we used during past years for injuries that are bound to happen? But I agree, if we can afford him, he improves the team. Doesn't BB always say that is his goal?

Last edited:
Do it if at all possible. Moss is not getting any younger and I'm still far from sold on Cassell. Garcia has had good success in this league and does not turn the ball over. We don't know much about Cassell right now other than he hasn't started a game since he was 17.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back