Game Thoughts - Brady is looking for a retirement home with a moat edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here we go:

• In reference to my thread title, can we stop this Brady is starting look look like declining from age stuff. The Bucs have a great defense. They made Brees look worse last week than Brady did today. Brees completed 56.5% of his passes (vs. Brady's 69.4%). Brees had one TD vs. 2 INTs where Brady had 2 TDs vs. one INT. The Saints scored 16 points and the Pats scored 23 (and they could have scored at least 3 more on the last drive).

• I think many of Brady's struggles is his lack of confidence in his receivers and his desire to do too much. Once the receivers started to click, Brady started to become money (except three goalline throws which two were due to poor pass protection.

• The rookie WRs had a good day. I think Dobson may be ahead of Thompkins at this point. From the second quarter on, they were both mostly solid. I think we can say them getting open last week was not just because the Jets' secondary sucked. They were open quite a bit today. I can't wait until the Pats get Amendola, Geonk, and Vereen back. This could be a very strong offense in December.

• Although I liked the high flying Pats of recent years, I love the Pats we saw today. That is my favorite type of team. Strong defense and efficient offense. Would rather win games 23-3 than 38-24. This is the type of team that can win Super Bowls as long as the rookies continue to progress.

• Kudos to the defense. It wasn't pretty all the time and the Bucs aren't a great offense even with their skill positions banged up, but any time you hold a team to 3 points you are doing your job. I am excited to see them go against the Falcons offense next week.

• Talib is perfect to take away big receivers like Vincent Jackson. Even before he left the game, Jackson did nothing other than one play where Talib was inadvertently picked by Jamie Collins. Even the pass Jackson dropped down the sidelines, I don't think he could have pulled in because Talib was able to rip one arm before he could have pulled it in.

• It is a little concerning about Wilfork. He doesn't seem to be the same player he was before. Luckily, he doesn't have to be. The Pats d-line is still arguably the best d-line they have had in a long time. I am hoping he is just injured and will come into form. I do think he looks a lot bigger this year (after slimming down a bit last year for what was arguably his best season). I wonder if that has something to do with it.

• I think a lot of people owe Gostkowski an apology. His kick offs are stellar. He has been nearly money this year even with a few difficult kicks. All kickers, including Vinatieri in his prime, have up and down years. Last year was Ghost's down year.

• If Spikes ever learned how to play in coverage, he could be one of the most premiere LBs in the league. He is dominant in the run and strong rushing the passer. He does time the rush off the snap better than most defenders. Not so much in coverage.

• I am disappointed that Sudfeld has just not done anything. I am hopeful that when Gronk returns, he emerges when he takes the #2 TE role rather than the primary TE.

• Bolden did a pretty good job in the Vereen role. Not nearly consistent as a runner (the 46 yard run was real pretty though), but he did bring something to the passing game.

• The Pats are 3-0 for the first time in a long time. If they play like they did today, there is no reason to believe that they can't be 6-0 after the toughest stretch on their schedule the next three games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard Brady was looking old. I have the perfect replacement....

600x4116_1.jpg

TB looking old what horse sht

Agree re Wilfork. But I'm optimistic.

Brady's two worst plays were probably ones where he forced the ball to Sudfeld -- the miss where two other guys were open behind the secondary, and the INT. Oh well; nobody said Tom was perfect.

Agree re Wilfork. But I'm optimistic.

Brady's two worst plays were probably ones where he forced the ball to Sudfeld -- the miss where two other guys were open behind the secondary, and the INT. Oh well; nobody said Tom was perfect.

I didn't understand that throw on the interception. Not sure what he saw/what was supposed to happen. Just an odd play.

wilfork's size is ridiculous and clearly a problem - its upsetting on multiple levels

he is not getting any younger. Give our golden boy some weapons!!

Now sure using Saints and Brees as a measuring stick is a good idea, its a divison game, and an away game. 7 more points at home is not that impressive. I think your defense did really well :) though… I mean vs the amazing Bucs offense, hehe

Bree's played at Tampa in a downpour. As much as I love brady and would love for the inference to be true you can't in this case

That said I agree, a lot of hesitant could be due to lower confidence in rookies but looked good today

Now sure using Saints and Brees as a measuring stick is a good idea, its a divison game, and an away game. 7 more points at home is not that impressive. I think your defense did really well though

I am using it just to point out that Brady looked old today is stupid. Yes, he made some bad throws, but he did complete just about 70% of his passes. Many of the bad throws had more to do with his inexperience with these receivers and not having the timing down with them.

Yes, there are legitimate reasons why the Saints didn't look like they were firing on all cylinders last week.

I am using it just to point out that Brady looked old today is stupid. Yes, he made some bad throws, but he did complete just about 70% of his passes. Many of the bad throws had more to do with his inexperience with these receivers and not having the timing down with them.

Yes, there are legitimate reasons why the Saints didn't look like they were firing on all cylinders last week.

Yeah, I though Brady looked great today, thats a very good D to pass against with rookie WR's.

I think things will settle down once his confidence in the young receivers improves. The "talking heads" during the game stated TB was holding onto the ball longer than in years past. I have to agree with them at this point.

Holding onto the ball longer=more pressure during throws

More pressure during throws=less throws on target

trade whatever we have to get Larry Fitz. let's do it!! window is closing!!

A significant fraction of the opposition's plan, every week, is to mess with Brady. They don't bat .000 in doing so. So be it.

One highlight of the game for me -- Tom seems to finally have the rhythm back on his swing passes. They were bread-and-butter in his early years, but more recently they've tended to land in the grass or something. They weren't a big part of the game even today, but at least the ball seemed to get to the right place at the right time, resulting in positive plays.

anyone else notice that talib was shadowing VJax? usually our cb's stay on their respective side of the field, but w/ talib today that was not the case

cant remember the last time we did this was

anyone else notice that talib was shadowing VJax? usually our cb's stay on their respective side of the field, but w/ talib today that was not the case

cant remember the last time we did this was

He did it with Boldin in the AFCCG before he got injured.

He did it with Boldin in the AFCCG before he got injured.
He did it against Andre Johnson both times last year as well. Most important player on the defense imo.

Solid post RobO........... as always.

While I agree that it's a little early to wheel TFB out to the old folks home just yet, it's clear that when he presses too much....... he gets ineffective. You can get away with that as a younger QB, but as you get older, you have to take what the D gives you. All the greats that have lasted in this league had to make that transition....... and Brady will to.

Today's game is a perfect example........ When he was pressing..... he didn't look good and his accuracy was off. When he settled in a bit, and began to trust in his receivers more and take what the defense was offering, he was pure money. I don't think that its sacrilegious to point out the obvious........ Brady is no spring chicken. That doesn't mean he's near retirement, it just means that he has go about his business a little smarter.

Ultimately, having these kids around him will force him to do just that. Once the other weapons start cycling in the rotation..... this offense could be deadly.

He did it against Andre Johnson both times last year as well. Most important player on the defense imo.
I'll disagree with him being the most important, but his play and attitude is making it likely he becomes a fixture.
Solid post RobO........... as always.

While I agree that it's a little early to wheel TFB out to the old folks home just yet, it's clear that when he presses too much....... he gets ineffective. You can get away with that as a younger QB, but as you get older, you have to take what the D gives you. All the great that have lasted in this league made that transition....... and Brady will to.

Today's game is a perfect example........ When he was pressing..... he didn't look good and his accuracy was off. When his settled in a bit, and began to trust in his receivers more and take what the defense was offering, he was pure money. I don't think that its sacrilegious to point out the obvious........ Brady is no spring chicken. That doesn't mean he's near retirement, it just means that he has go about his business a little smarter.

Honestly I think whenever a QB presses bad things happen. I think the makeup of the team and Brady caused him to press a bit less when he was young. Despite the interception and few misses I thought this was a brilliant game by Brady, and I think those that weren't seeing some vintage Brady might need to check their prescription.

very good post.

The Dobson incomplete/Sudfeld INT sequence was Bad Brady, but as you said: TB has an above-average defense. I don't think Dobson ran hard the whole way through his route and Sudfeld never turned around on the INT.

Now sure using Saints and Brees as a measuring stick is a good idea, its a divison game, and an away game. 7 more points at home is not that impressive.

Did Brees have no TE's and 3 rookie WR's?

'Nuf ced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes