PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Planning

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
A poster on another Board said that Hobbs had dropped the ball and revealed that the Pats were trying to put a defense to counter the dink and dunk. It is very interesting to hear Hobbs' comment.

The fear I had of the Jets is that their ONE and ONLY strength, is directed at the (purposeful) weakness of the Pats Defense.

The Pats want to keep plays in front of them, so they allow the dink and dunk, while working to stop the big play and the run. They believe in normal circumstance that a drive will die because of a penalty, drop, screw up, or the Defense actually stopping a play. But the ONLY thing the Jets do well is Opie's great ability to complete lots of 5 yard completions on 3 & 4; and 7 yard completions on 3 & 6. He can do this so consistently that that they can break the "bend don't break". The Jets are the also the least penalized team in football, so a penalty screw up doesn't happen very often.

In the last game they had two drives for 10 of their 17 points that went for almost 30 plays taken together and both led to scores. They won. In the earlier game two big plays merely made the rout from 24-3 to 24-17 look closer, as I recall.

Strength against weakness is a bad recipe. I'm glad that BB is trying to do something about it.

I don't see how that is dropping the ball. Everyone has said that is what the Jets do, how they use that as their running game similar how the Pats use to.

Isn't it obvious they would try to install some sort of defense to take away the short passing game.

I don't think that is dropping the ball.

If true then,
Hobbs ...shut up .... lose lips sink ships. Even a single bit of info suggesting what PATs are thinkig is too much.

Pennington is similar to Brady in the way that if he gets time to throw, he will find an open man. I would like to see BB and Peas use a lot of zone and delayed blitzes. None coming with regularity and from the same side of the field.

But more than anything, getting hits on Pennington is huge because he is one of the QB's who wear a glass slipper and getting his bell rung will cause him to worry about the hits when in a passing situation. Forcing him out of the pocket and throwing on the run is not his stregnth either. But Pennington finds a way to get the job done. And I think the Pats bring the best out of him.

I would think that he might throw it a couple of balls downfield and look for a way to stretch the field or get a flag but his stregnth is throwing underneath the coverage. Short passes with chances of breaking one into long one. Despite knowing this. Its still hard to stop sometimes.

But with thier weakness being stopping the run. I would think that we would spend a lot of time getting the running game going and using up the clock on long drives....tiring out the Jets D and keeping Pennington off the field.

In all honesty. The Mangini and the Jets will put up a good fight but if this game is called fairly by the refs, we might be too much for them We are definately not the same team they saw in week 10.

I think we should play a little tighter on the Jets this weekend secondary-wise because their niche is, as said, making those short passes and being able to score on the bend/don't break style. I mean it would somewhat play to the Jest weaknesses, or at least Pennington's. We all know and have seen Pennington not be able to put enough zip or length on his long balls so why not try and force him to make those passes? Worst coems to worst we go back to the no big plays/stop run type style.

Please dont add any more ammo to my feeling about the fact that I think , as a starting corner, Hobbs sucks. :D

Really miss Eugene Wilson now. That must have been a bad hamstring injury for him to be out even for the playoffs. Can't help but think that with Geno and Assante out there we would have been OK.

Which leads me to think......Could we see a lot of Mickens tomorrow in the short passing style the Jets use? He knows the Jets pretty well and I believe he was picked up for this type of defense.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft