Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

October 09, 2006
Gaffney signed

FOXBOROUGH -- The Patriots signed receiver Jabar Gaffney today and released defensive lineman Johnathan Sullivan and cornerback Hank Poteat.

Gaffney was one of four receivers to work out for the Patriots last Friday, along with Charles Rogers, Kevin Johnson and Lashaun Ward. He entered the league in 2002 as a second-round draft choice of the Houston Texans and spent the first four years of his career with them. Gaffney was signed by the Eagles prior to the 2006 season, but was cut before the season began.

Meanwhile, Sullivan was acquired by the Patriots in a trade with the New Orleans Saints this offseason. The team traded receiver Bethel Johnson to acquire Sullivan.

Poteat had been re-signed by the Patriots in the week leading up to the team's Oct. 1 game against the Bengals.

The Patriots now have 52 players on their roster, with one open spot. With Gaffney's addition, the team's receiver group gets a jolt, as Gaffney joins Troy Brown, Reche Caldwell, Doug Gabriel and Chad Jackson.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 01:39:57 PM

There is now 1 open spot on the 53-man roster, and 1 open spot on the practice squad.

I'm surprised Spann is still around, and the Poteat bongos are shut down for the night instead. :(

Last edited:
and the Patsfans.com server starts to buckle.....

Ah...another Florida WR. Perhaps one of the most dissapointing ones...

Good ol Hank. Poteat will be back at some point I'm sure. He's basically an outside contractor to the Pats. We'll call him again when we need him.

Too bad about Sullivan not ever contributing, but really, we don't need him, the DL is nasty enough.

Gaffney will suffice to help WR depth, but I still wish we had taken a shot at Rogers. I'm sure Gaffney won't be leapfrogging anyone on the depth chart anyway. Our WR corps is going to be really very good as long as CJ emerges as the number 2 threat and overtakes Caldwell in terms of plays.

Here's the scouting report for Gaffney, who isn't exactly a surprise signing after his workout this week:

Scouts, Inc.:

"Excellent route runner...smooth in/out of cuts...not a blazer, but has very good quickness...can 'lull a defender to sleep because he doesn't look like he's running very fast'...smart receiver...excels in reading coverages...drops catchable balls...will make bonehead plays like 'where he had a chance to score on a reverse but was hot-dogging with the ball and fumbled it out of the end zone.'...doesn't play to his 4.49 speed...struggles to seperate against man coverage...not physical or tough, doesn't like contact...plays soft..."

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Oh crap.....

Sullivan I'm not shocked at. But Bongos gone? With a roster spot left? Who else are they bringing in that they'd cut a serviceable DB in a thin backfield?

Pass getting activated?

Brownfan80 said:
Sullivan I'm not shocked at. But Bongos gone? With a roster spot left? Who else are they bringing in that they'd cut a serviceable DB in a thin backfield?

Pass getting activated?

Maybe, but the backfield ain't that thin - you gotta love Hank Poteat, but with Samuel, Scott, Hobbs, Rodney, Wilson & Hawk, that's plenty especially considering you got a couple guys in there that can play either CB or S.

Kdo5 said:
Ah...another Florida WR. Perhaps one of the most dissapointing ones...

How so? Can't say I've followed him, but he has 171 catches to 166 for Givens in the same period of time.

Brownfan80 said:

Pass getting activated?

I think they're bringing in a DB for the bye. Sanders looks too small to play safety to me.

Brownfan80 said:

Pass getting activated?
It was actually a double-edged 'crap'. Oh crap I hate it when Hank gets sent home, and oh crap I did NOT want Gaffney signed.

RayClay said:
How so? Can't say I've followed him, but he has 171 catches to 166 for Givens in the same period of time.

I'm not sure what led the Eagles to drop him - anyone have specifics?

But Gaffney's #s through 4 years are pretty solid as you point out. I guess I missed why he was released - that could be why fans seem skeptical of him.

Again - what's the big deal either way, he's going to be our number 5 WR.

Last edited:
As always, nice job Hank. We'll see you in a couple weeks. I hope the Krafts at least buy ole' Hank a new Buick or somthing just to let him know how much we appreciate the effort.

I'm excited for Gaffney as well. Anyone know if he has experience with kickoff/punt returns?

Does the open spot mean Pass is ready to come off PUP after the bye?

pats1 said:
That can't come until after the Buffalo game.

(So... October 23rd)

Ah, then the open spot truly is a surprise.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
It was actually a double-edged 'crap'. Oh crap I hate it when Hank gets sent home, and oh crap I did NOT want Gaffney signed.

Gotcha. I honestly thought that if we did bring in a WR it'd be Kevin Johnson. I didn't see Gaffney as truly being on the radar. We'll see what happens with that. I just don't like the fact that 'soft' comes up in his scouting report.

How's this for irony?

(Although I guess it would be greater if it was Poteat covering Gaffney, not Iwuoma)

gaffneyiwuomazg6.jpg

PHILADELPHIA - AUGUST 25: Wide receiver Jabar Gaffney #80 of the Philadelphia Eagles lines up for a play during a preseason game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on August 25, 2006 at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Eagles defeated the Steelers 16-7. (Photo by Len Redkoles/Getty Images)

Last edited:
RayClay said:
I think they're bringing in a DB for the bye. Sanders looks too small to play safety to me.

Any idea who they might be looking at? I saw that they had some DBs in for workouts a couple of weeks back..

Gaffney is a very solid receiver, I'd say a step above Caldwell.

RayClay said:
Just checked good point. I will admit I have never seen him play! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes