PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gaffney signed, Poteat and Sullivan released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clonamery said:
That pretty much sums it up.

Actually, it's pretty funny when you think about it. He's either Ron Borges on here mixing it with fans who hate his guts and despise his laughable impersonation of a journalist, justifying his own petty-minded prejudices and poorly argues theses. Which is insecure pathetic.

Or he's someone impersonating that person. Which is slightly less pathetic, but pretty sad all the same.

R_T26 said:
doesnt it seem the Pats always bring in 4 guys at a certain position, and end up signing the one you least wanted i.e. poteat over schulters. The other roster spot must be going to Pass.

Poteat knows the system. Now that they have 2 weeks, maybe they will work someone else in.

I'd like to see the team go for Porter. We can get by with the current roster of receivers, but we'll be a serious threat to win the Super Bowl if we picked up a talent like Porter. I do not feel that the current receiving corps is good enough to allow us to make any kind of run in the playoffs.

Troy is the #1 receiver? Give me a break! Great fellow and all. Really versatile and everything, but we're in sad shape if he's our #1.

Reading the rookie stats of today's outstanding receivers around the league doesn't give confidence that we'll see much out of Chad Jackson this year. So, it's Brown, Gabriel, and Roche. Now we've added Gaffney. Help!!! :bricks:

amazinPats said:
Reading the rookie stats of today's outstanding receivers around the league doesn't give confidence that we'll see much out of Chad Jackson this year. So, it's Brown, Gabriel, and Roche. Now we've added Gaffney. Help!!! :bricks:

On the one hand, rookie wideouts have a bytch of a time producing their rookie year it seems. On the other hand, the Pats seem not to have much of a choice but to put CJ in there and ask him to produce.

CJ has 2 more weeks to get healthy and learn the system and run the plays, I really hope that when we come back from the break, we see CJ and Gabriel lining up every play, and Caldwell and Brown come in on 3rd down (both seem to be pretty good at making catches for 1st downs).

Last edited:
5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Methinks Sullivan will be in a Colts uniform soon.......

Me too, that's one of the first things I thought when I heard he was released. I was hoping to get a draft pick from the desperate Colts.

Still, with BB and Georgia-alum Seymour, I think NE is the only place where Sullivan had a chance to excel.

The Gr8est said:
Me too, that's one of the first things I thought when I heard he was released. I was hoping to get a draft pick from the desperate Colts.

Still, with BB and Georgia-alum Seymour, I think NE is the only place where Sullivan had a chance to excel.
I would say even more likely he'll wind up with the Jets.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Gaffney is a very solid receiver? lol Only on Patfans.com. He's so solid that he couldn't beat out an undrafted free agent in Philly and no team wanted to touch him for five weeks. Yeah, he's a very solid receiver. I'm with the people from this planet who think he'll be the fifth receiver and catch maybe 12 passes this season. Although since he's so great, I'm assuming you have him as Brady's new top target?

He was released due to character issues (possession of an unlicensed firearm), not because of his lack of ability.

primetime said:
He was released due to character issues (possession of an unlicensed firearm), not because of his lack of ability.

I was of the understanding that he was let go for an inability to pick up the west coast offense that the Eagles run.

As well with them picking up Stallworth (who knows the same type offense already) a few days before the final cuts, they likely had no real need for GAffney anymore.

This really isn't that much of a suprise. Did people really expect them to continue the season with only four WR's on the roster?

Sad to see Hank go. He'll be back.

Gaffney might fit the system better than as a west coast WR in the Eagle system. Nate Burleson, the RFA, like some other WRs is slow on picking up the WR position for the Seahawks because the West Coast offense demands preciseness on the part of the WR. Deion Branch was told to learn the 4th WR position for now for the Seahawks because it takes awhile to learn the whole playbook....

Gaffney right now is our 5th WR, a guy who probably will be de-activated gametime, and when he is activated, he will probably be running fly patterns to run off coverage (ala Andre' Davis).

As far as the extra spot, that spot goes to Pass which helps STs.

As far as Poteat, I'll bet that this isn't the last time we see him in a Patriot uniform.

As far as Sullivan, too bad. Bethel didn't make the Saints either. Trash for Trash. No harm, no foul.

As far as Gaffney, it doesn't really suprise me ... I almost posted yesterday that I thought we would sign Gaffney if Kevin Johnson isn't healed (which he most likely isn't). Guys, four WR is not enough ... we needed to either bring Bam up or sign a JAG.

What I saw no one mention is Le Kevin Smith -- the Pats must REALLY like what they see out of this young DE/NT. They could have easily cut him and put him on the PS because he is PS eligible ... but they won't risk it.

Last edited:
Sorry to see Hank go, wish him and his family the best.
Hope you're back, Hank.

It's somewhat oblique I'll admit, but kudo's to the brethren here noting Hank Baskett's talent months ago. Guns or not, Gaffney would still be on the Eagles unless they had Baskett who looked pretty sharp yesterday. He's the only undrafted FA obtained by trade before he ever played an NFL down that I've ever heard of. Baskett might be pretty good, but like Brady, McNabb can make nearly anyone look like a star when he's on.

As for Gaffney? he not only has better numbers than Caldwell, Gaffney accumulated better numbers than Gabriel while playing on one of the most consistently awful teams to grace the NFL in years. A classic number 2/3, if BB can get Gaffney's mind right he will be on the this team for years and quite possibly fill Troy Brown's role, if the hard-ass ever retires (I hope not because I love watching him play).

Brady'sButtBoy said:
It's somewhat oblique I'll admit, but kudo's to the brethren here noting Hank Baskett's talent months ago. Guns or not, Gaffney would still be on the Eagles unless they had Baskett who looked pretty sharp yesterday. He's the only undrafted FA obtained by trade before he ever played an NFL down that I've ever heard of. Baskett might be pretty good, but like Brady, McNabb can make nearly anyone look like a star when he's on.

As for Gaffney? he not only has better numbers than Caldwell, Gaffney accumulated better numbers than Gabriel while playing on one of the most consistently awful teams to grace the NFL in years. A classic number 2/3, if BB can get Gaffney's mind right he will be on the this team for years and quite possibly fill Troy Brown's role, if the hard-ass ever retires (I hope not because I love watching him play).

A lot of people wanted us to get Baskett in the Draft Forum, IIRC.

I like the signing. The Pats needed another body at reciever. To trade Bethel for Sullivan was a waste. Should have kept Johnson at reciever.

Not only were Gaffney and Reche Caldwell teammates at Florida, they were called "the most explosive receiving tandem in college football."

That was then...and this is the NFL, but hopefully that energy they once displayed will resurrect with the Pats.

To quote the eloquent T-shirt, "oh crap."

"Police stopped Jabar Gaffney for improper passing after an incident June 20th and spotted a handgun in the glove compartment of Gaffney's car. The charges were just announced today after an investigation by New Jersey State Police.

The gun was registered, but not in New Jersey. Gaffney has the gun registered in Texas, which is his home state, making it illegal for him to carry the weapon in New Jersey. "He thought that was fine on his move up here. He was pulled over and that is all pending now," said head coach Andy Reid."

from Scout.com http://eagles.scout.com/2/550627.html

Doesn't sound like the gun thing was really that serious IMO. It wasn't like he whipped it out in a fight at a nightclub...

since67 said:
"Police stopped Jabar Gaffney for improper passing after an incident June 20th and spotted a handgun in the glove compartment of Gaffney's car. The charges were just announced today after an investigation by New Jersey State Police.

The gun was registered, but not in New Jersey. Gaffney has the gun registered in Texas, which is his home state, making it illegal for him to carry the weapon in New Jersey. "He thought that was fine on his move up here. He was pulled over and that is all pending now," said head coach Andy Reid."

from Scout.com http://eagles.scout.com/2/550627.html

Doesn't sound like the gun thing was really that serious IMO. It wasn't like he whipped it out in a fight at a nightclub...

Thank you. Reading the actual details, I'd cut the kid some slack.

Re: Gaffney

As pointed out here and on another thread, the firearms charge with Gaffney is really a non-issue. Would a careful person have researched all firearms laws when moving from one state to another? Sure. But because he didn't, does that mean he'll be a distraction to the team? I'm guessing not based on that information alone. Dunno if anything else was going on there, Philly sure did look like they needed WR's.

From a numbers perspective, Gaffney looks like a decent 4th/5th WR. Here are his Football Outsiders numbers, mixed in with some regular numbers for his career (2002-2005):

Code:
 [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=1]
YEAR    DPAR         DVOA       Pass  Rcpts Catch% Yds  YPR YPA  TD
-------------------------------------------------------------------
2005    1.3(75th)  -13.1%(74th)  90     55   61%   492  8.9  5.5  2
2004   16.7(34th)   20.9%(21st)  68     41   60%   632 15.4  9.3  2
2003    5.7(44th)    4.6%(39th)  57     34   60%   402 11.8  7.0  2
2002  - 0.2(75th)  -15.9%(75th)  81     41   51%   483 11.8  6.0  1
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Looks like he was below average last year and in his rookie season, but above average in 03-04. Don't forget he was on Houston. The numbers above can take into account quality of opponent, but not the quality of the components on his own team (QB, O-line, etc.). In fact, Carr was ranked, from 2005-2002: 41st, 18th, 27th, 47th in DPAR, so the good years Gaffney had corresponded to the times when Carr had slightly better years. I don't know about the items on the scouting report, but from a numbers perspective, it suggests Gaffney's at least worth a try, especially since he'll be cheap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye