PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Future Extension for Cooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
We said the same about a cornerback Gilmore is proof for special players BB will break from his routine.

Well maybe in retrospect we overpaid for Gilmore. In that case, maybe it's not a good example to use.

I'm obviously not against that. I just think top WRs are the most overpaid of players compared to their value in winning Super Bowls/playoffs.
I think QBs need players to throw to.

With that said, if people watched JE11 on 2016 and guessed his pay, I bet people would have said $10m and not $4m

It's honestly impossible to believe the deal that he's on right now. Even with the incentives, it's SUCH a bargain.

It's a bargain because all other TEs suck so are paid a lot less. Gronk has been the highest paid TE for ages now and it's impossible for his agent to negotiate that he's been underpaid when he's already the highest paid TE in the league. It all works with benchmarks. Gronk has been vocal about seeing other TEs get paid more so that the top 5 paid average can go up and he can get paid more asking for a premium to it.

We're just lucky Gronk is so transcendental at his position.

Cooks disagrees.

Look- you are painting Cooks out to be the bad guy and that's ********. Payton and that organization hasn't exactly been winning 12 games every year. Quite frankly, they've sucked up until this year. They had problems with him and he had problems with them. That's it. It happens

You got me wrong Rob I don't think Cooks is a bad guy. I think he's a very good complimentary WR.

You got me wrong Rob I don't think Cooks is a bad guy. I think he's a very good complimentary WR.
So you think NE values him more than NO and he's not a WR1?

rob: Cooks only runs 7 - 8 and 9 routes here. That opens things up for Gronk over the middle. Cooks is doing his job if we had a healthy Hogan or Mitchell we would really see the true potential of this Offense. I wish Cooks ran more routes on our route tree but it is what it is. I am sure BB and McDaniels are happy with the way they use him for now.

The other thing is that Brady does look at Cooks' way a ton, so they do have something going there.

rob: Cooks only runs 7 - 8 and 9 routes here. That opens things up for Gronk over the middle. Cooks is doing his job if we had a healthy Hogan or Mitchell we would really see the true potential of this Offense. I wish Cooks ran more routes on our route tree but it is what it is. I am sure BB and McDaniels are happy with the way they use him for now.
Cooks only runs 7-9 routes?

I think so Deep Corner - Post and Fly Routes.
I dunna know man. These guys get a playbook the size of the white pages for Tokyo .

So in 2018 the Patriots chose not to extend an almost 26 year old Cooks because they have a 42 year old QB?
Are you saying Tom Brady’s age is what’s holding back Cooks?

His age is not holding back the potential of Gronk, Amendola, Rex Burkhead, and James White who look to have excellent chemistry catching Brady’s passes.

I just don’t see that’s same chemistry with Cooks.

Cobb's cap it is actually $12.675M for 2018 in the last year of his previous deal - none of it guaranteed except for the final pro-rated payment on his signing bonus. There are at least 15 WRs who will be hitting the cap for more than that - several for significantly more - in the middle years of their deals, with guarantees above and beyond signing bonus payments.

Cobb is just turning 28 next season. The Packers could offer him a 3-year extension through 2021 that would yield a 4-year APY around $7M-$7.5M (no guarantees beyond 2019). By 2021, $7M a year will likely seem pretty cheap.

But $5M? He'll likely get more from another from another team and be a solid contributor for them for another four years.

Do you think there's just too much talent at WR for him to pull down more at the Packers? Or do you think they are content at his production for $7M? Maybe I've just become to accustomed to Patriots underpaying for overproduction. I agree he's young but he hasn't looked the same since '14 - he get's his games that he looks amazing but I feel like it's more other WR's drawing the coverage. I feel like he might be exposed if he's relied on as a WR1 or a JE level possession receiver.

seems to me there's a subtle tradeoff here. If you've got great schemes and the coaching and scouting staffs to execute them that too can be something that changes how the opponents operates. And it changes the economics of how you operate, because now you can pay fair market value for those middle class players who fit your schemes at an affordable cap number. And you don't need to overspend on those truly top tier outliers because you don't need them to change the game for you.

I agree with that part but then you see Gronk catching the ball right above ground against the Steelers and a week later his TD on a ball that was anything but precise and see how having one of those blue chippers can increase your margin of error.

Are you saying Tom Brady’s age is what’s holding back Cooks?

His age is not holding back the potential of Gronk, Amendola, Rex Burkhead, and James White who look to have excellent chemistry catching Brady’s passes.

I just don’t see that’s same chemistry with Cooks.
No. You imply Cooks will be gone because of a lack of chemistry with Brady.

I say because of Brady's age, they are not getting rid of Cooks who is approaching his football prime.

No. You imply Cooks will be gone because of a lack of chemistry with Brady.

I say because of Brady's age, they are not getting rid of Cooks who is approaching his football prime.

I loved the Cooks trade and want to see him stay around, but I would hold off on paying him to see how this offseason translates into his play next season. Cooks can be a superstar WR if he learns how to get off the press and learn every WR position. He’s been productive and he’s got great talent but I wouldn’t give him the big money just to be a deep threat. He has the ability to be another Antonio Brown but he’s going to have to up his game significantly to get to that level.

I loved the Cooks trade and want to see him stay around, but I would hold off on paying him to see how this offseason translates into his play next season. Cooks can be a superstar WR if he learns how to get off the press and learn every WR position. He’s been productive and he’s got great talent but I wouldn’t give him the big money just to be a deep threat. He has the ability to be another Antonio Brown but he’s going to have to up his game significantly to get to that level.
So you propose letting him hit the open market?

Do you think there's just too much talent at WR for him to pull down more at the Packers? Or do you think they are content at his production for $7M? Maybe I've just become to accustomed to Patriots underpaying for overproduction. I agree he's young but he hasn't looked the same since '14 - he get's his games that he looks amazing but I feel like it's more other WR's drawing the coverage. I feel like he might be exposed if he's relied on as a WR1 or a JE level possession receiver.

Oh, hell no! Cobb isn't even close to being a WR1 or near Edelman's level!

To me, Edelman is the Pats' de facto "WR1", as was Welker before him - with the caveat that Gronk also shares that role. The Pats' offensive system has simply been very different from traditional systems in what positions and roles it has featured and emphasized, so traditional valuations don't work (similar on defense WRT "pass rusher"), although it has evolved and adapted to the personnel available, to at least some degree. However, until Edelman and/or Gronk are "done", guys like Hogan, Mitchell and even Cooks, are all effectively the #3 guys. Cooks, however, appears to have the chops to move up a bit. Unless he can somehow take over Edelman's role, he's unlikely to be a "WR1" with the Pats in any traditional sense.

A lot of folks key in on Cobb's 2014 as his "breakout" and, like you, see it as a disappointment that he hasn't continued at that level of production. Really, though, that was just an anomalous year for a reliable 600-800-yard pass-catcher who's a good #3WR to have on the roster as part of the supporting cast for others like Nelson and Adams. His consistency is probably best demonstrated by the fact that, this season he's posted nearly identical numbers to last season even though it's been Hundley at QB for half the year instead of Rodgers.

IOW, he fits very well where he is, and I think the Packers will try to keep him. My projection of $7M APY for him is certainly doable for them (especially if they extend/restructure the aging Nelson (their "slot guy"), because the Packers have generally managed their cap pretty well.

Cobb would also likely be a pretty decent #3 for 3-5 years elsewhere, and his price tag supported by the fact that, until the Pack acquired Trevor Davis a couple years ago, Cobb was their mainstay PR. He'd also likely be an asset (training wheels) for a young QB elsewhere.

However, it's possible that some team offers him a bit more than $7M and tries to squeeze him into a #2 role. That's the type of mistake that BB rarely makes. And I don't think he has done so with Cooks or will do so with Cooks' future.

I agree with that part but then you see Gronk catching the ball right above ground against the Steelers and a week later his TD on a ball that was anything but precise and see how having one of those blue chippers can increase your margin of error.

With Edelman out, Gronk has been the defacto "WR1" for the Pats this season. And Cooks has been a pretty effective WR2.

Cooks is 1200-1300+ if Brady hits him half of the plays he missed him. Brady is my guy but he is human, he himself has kicked himself for missing some sure TD and 50+ bombs to cooks when he has gotten behind the defense. This opens things up for the offense and people are leaving that out. If he takes traffic with him and it opens other routes up he has done his job. He will get paid handsomely and so will Gronk. 1000+ Yards in his first season and the complaints are still coming smh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3