PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Front office still interested in Ryan Mallett: Cleveland Browns Insider

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Joe Haden aspect is interesting
Its possible could you imagine putting Haden on the field with Talib
Two things stop this from happening one Lombardi would have to be ****coo for cocoa puffs to part with Hayden.
2. Hayden will want paid sooner rather than later.
Now a move into their 1st round seems more logical.
Something like the Patriots trade Mallett and the 29th pick for clevelands 1st and third picks this year.
And a conditional pick as high as a second next year.
That would be exciting.

I'd trade Mallet for a 3rd and a 4th or a 2nd.

Matt Schaub fetched two 2nd rounds picks - 2008 and 2007. And, the Falcons swapped the #10 pick for the Texans # 8. Schaub was also an original 3rd round pick, but had more on his resume than Mallet.

The Pats may want a conditional 1st in 2014 dependent on Mallets wins.

The new cba states that you cannot restructure a contract with a player drafted post 2011 until they have 3 accrued seasons. Some sports writers believe this may be a holdup in the trade, but the other team could just franchise Mallet in 2014 if hes that good. Mallet signed a 3 mil contract so hed be playing on the cheap in 2013.

Matt Schaub fetched two 2nd rounds picks - 2008 and 2007. And, the Falcons swapped the #10 pick for the Texans # 8. Schaub was also an original 3rd round pick, but had more on his resume than Mallet.

The Pats may want a conditional 1st in 2014 dependent on Mallets wins.

The new cba states that you cannot restructure a contract with a player drafted post 2011 until they have 3 accrued seasons. Some sports writers believe this may be a holdup in the trade, but the other team could just franchise Mallet in 2014 if hes that good. Mallet signed a 3 mil contract so hed be playing on the cheap in 2013.

That's the thing I just don't get. How is it a BAD thing that they are guaranteed, at a minimum, one year of Mallett's services at a third-year rookie salary?

Most draft "experts" say that the true sweet spot in this years draft is in the late first and all of the second round (possibly spilling into the top of the third). Why would the Pats want to swap firsts? I'm assuming most of you assume they will then try to trade down back into the mid 20's and pick up extra picks in the process? I just don't see Bill picking at the 6th pick overall, even with the new salary structure in place.

I'd be fine with this years 3rd and next years second, and they could try and get a 2013 5th or 6th rounder if they still feel it's unbalanced. Seems like a great deal.

We got 33 or 34 for Cassel + Vrabel fer cryin' out loud! Even sadder, that pick was Patrick Chung! LOL!

A 3rd this year and a 2nd next is a good deal for the Patriots and a good enough deal for the Browns to make it viable if they believe Mallett has the potential to be a good starter. The Patriots should be able to get Cassel back cheap so they should make the deal if Lombardi is willing to do it.

The Browns aren't parting with a 1st for a 3rd rounder who hasn't played in the NFL. Had Mallett gotten a chance and played well the price would go up but with no real reps this is as good as it gets.

No, but I would send them Mallett and the 2014 2 for their 3 this year and their 2014 1.
This an interesting take, but getting a team's #1 is very hard. I think that any deal that would give the Pats any draft pick this season and a 2nd next would be a fair deal.

A one would be great, but unrealistic. The only way I could see a #1 would be conditional of Mallett leading the Browns to the playoffs.

A 3rd this year and a 2nd next is a good deal for the Patriots and a good enough deal for the Browns to make it viable if they believe Mallett has the potential to be a good starter. The Patriots should be able to get Cassel back cheap so they should make the deal if Lombardi is willing to do it.

The Browns aren't parting with a 1st for a 3rd rounder who hasn't played in the NFL. Had Mallett gotten a chance and played well the price would go up but with no real reps this is as good as it gets.

Why does everyone think Cassel is going to play for chump change? He's a borderline starter and might still think he'll geta chance to compete somewhere. Even if not, how much do backup QBs cost? Matt Moore just signed with Miami to be the backup (not even to compete) for $8m/2yrs.

They can't be holding out for a first? Can they?

Cousin, A First rounder would be higher than anyone expected except BB. Understand this. Mallet does not have a body of work in the NFL sure but he has been on the field, went to two camps, has been a model citizen on some probably trumped up accusations to lower his Draft status and is still young.His body of work was his college stats coming out as a Junior that are comparable to the best QB in this 2013 QB class Geno Smith. In fact Mallett threw tha ball at Arkansas 100 less times and his yards was perhaps only 400 less that Smith and still threw 32 TDs. Their QB rating was almost identical.

Now put in the fact that Mallett learned a bit from Bill O'Brien and Josh McDaniels and player behind future H of F QB in Brady and you tell me who the best QB is in this class if Mallett is included.

Mallette is 6'7" and 253lbs. Geno Smith is 6'2" and 218 lbs.

Geno Smith is known to have had meltdowns so he is not without flaws.
He is going in the first round.

Who do you think is more ready? You are playing in weather in Cleveland that has been know to be severe and wind. Smith is strong but Mallett still has the better arm.

My deal would be swap of picks and a third rounder in 2014. It would have to be done now so I can have the longest market to auction off #6. Then I would put a "for sale" sign up for that sixth pick today. Then pick up a few more 2013 choices.

It is a massive win for the Browns in that Lombardi can sill keep a first rounder has a first round quality QB who has had some NFL practice and field time and I say the risk for Mallett is way less than Smith who in an NFL unknown. Remember the Browns have no second round pick either.

Plan "B" would be to swap Mallett for SS T.J. Ward and perhaps the Browns third rounder for Mallett or maybe better rookie WR Josh Gordon instead of that third. Solves our problem and theirs.
DW Toys

Perhaps the Browns will give up the #6 pick* for Mallett.

In the 5th round

Why does everyone think Cassel is going to play for chump change? He's a borderline starter and might still think he'll geta chance to compete somewhere. Even if not, how much do backup QBs cost? Matt Moore just signed with Miami to be the backup (not even to compete) for $8m/2yrs.

Fair enough, I have been looking at him as damaged goods but you are probably closer to the truth.

Assuming they have serious interest BB needs to find a way to make the trade even for this year's 3rd and even as low as a next year's conditional 3rd. The Browns' 2013 3rd is a high pick so we could use our 3rd to trade up in the 2nd and get 3 good prospects, a WR, a safety and whatever, maybe an OG, OC or Vollmer replacement.

I'd love to see us swap 2nds and get their 3rd this year.

I've seen a lot of intriguing trade deals. Some are more optimistic than others, but the one consistent thing is that I think they are all premature. It makes more sense for me for Cleveland and other Mallett suitors to wait until late April, on or just before the draft would be the most appropriate time for any Mallett deal to occur. Cleveland would be better served by waiting for the first blush of FA to subside and see where they stand. Right now they've been pretty active.

Assuming they have serious interest BB needs to find a way to make the trade even for this year's 3rd and even as low as a next year's conditional 3rd. The Browns' 2013 3rd is a high pick so we could use our 3rd to trade up in the 2nd and get 3 good prospects, a WR, a safety and whatever, maybe an OG, OC or Vollmer replacement.

I'd love to see us swap 2nds and get their 3rd this year.

Once again, I agree. With Brady locked in for the rest of his career there is no need to hang onto Mallett and they need more ammunition for this draft. swapping seconds plus a 3rd is a great approach and would give them the ability to add both a quality WR and quality DB high in this draft.

The Patriots have 3 big needs imo, WR, DB, and another pass rusher. Right now it looks like they can address WR and DB with multiple players through those available in free agency and the draft but the pass rusher may have to be a veteran picked up later in this offseason as Carter and Anderson were.

Once again, I agree. With Brady locked in for the rest of his career there is no need to hang onto Mallett and they need more ammunition for this draft. swapping seconds plus a 3rd is a great approach and would give them the ability to add both a quality WR and quality DB high in this draft.

If Bernard Pollard is still in the NFL, no Patriot is truly safe. A succession plan is still needed, as Brady could (I said could not WILL, at least this year) begin to decline at a quick pace. You never know.

I'd assume BB is trying his best to emulate the 9ers from Montana to Young rather than Marino to... considering guys like Lemon and Pennington "upgrades" over what you had previously.

Brady's replacement will not be on the team before 2015. Why piss away a valuable draft pick on someone sitting on the bench? Instead use every pick to enhance the competitiveness of the team outside the QB position. A young, talented team surrounding a quality vet QB is the best use of draft capital.

Brady's replacement will not be on the team before 2015. Why piss away a valuable draft pick on someone sitting on the bench? Instead use every pick to enhance the competitiveness of the team outside the QB position. A young, talented team surrounding a quality vet QB is the best use of draft capital.

Yep.....................

If Bernard Pollard is still in the NFL, no Patriot is truly safe. A succession plan is still needed, as Brady could (I said could not WILL, at least this year) begin to decline at a quick pace. You never know.

I'd assume BB is trying his best to emulate the 9ers from Montana to Young rather than Marino to... considering guys like Lemon and Pennington "upgrades" over what you had previously.

If they can get the swap of seconds and a third then i would do it and grab a back-up. i don't believe that Mallett will be Brady's replacement.

I would love it if they could get something for Mallett and draft his backup - Tyler Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes