PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Front office still interested in Ryan Mallett: Cleveland Browns Insider

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's the browns offer we would laugh at them. We invested a 3rd. High third. Mallett has done nothing to show he is worth less thsn that. In fact he had 2 years of exoerience. We would have to get better than that to trade him. Least if give him up for would be a 2013 3rd and 2014 2nd. I don't even know if I'd accept less than next years 1. Nonetheless just because the browns don't currently have a 2nd that's not to say they can't get one. From us or anyone else.

I don't think that it's zero %. I tend to believe Mallett is a better QB prospect than Geno Smith, Matt Barkley or Ryan Nassib and I think many scouts and GM's would agree.

Trade the beast!

I'm not arguing that the Jones trade was fine for Cleveland I just wanted to point out what it took the Falcons to get at 6. Cleveland was on the receiving and on this deal you really believe they would feel good to give up all those picks for Ryan Mallett? I agree completely that Little and especially Weeden (honestly how can you pick a guy in the first round knowing he'll be 29 in his first season and isn't even an elite talent)

I think they see Mallett as an option and let him compete with Weeden for the starting position but I highly doubt they see him as a franchise QB. Like I said 3rd rounder this year 2-3rd rounder next year and both sides would be happy. Just a shame they don't have 2nd round pick this year.
Weeden is a scrub. It won't be a competition if Cleveland brings in Mallett. As a matter of fact, Mallett should have been a first round pick (IMO). There's nothing of note in this year's QB market for rookies.

Cleveland has brought this situation on themselves. A deaf, dumb and blind mute could see Weeden was a waste of a pick.

Well Daniel Jeremiah who's a former NFL scout said that he'd be his 2nd rated QB in this draft class.

The one problem for teams maybe trading for Mallett is they can't negotiate a contract with him until next year. What if he doesn't want to negotiate with them? They give up a valuable draft pick for a 2 yr rental. It's a risk.

They could always franchise him...:rolleyes:

Well Daniel Jeremiah who's a former NFL scout said that he'd be his 2nd rated QB in this draft class.

The one problem for teams maybe trading for Mallett is they can't negotiate a contract with him until next year. What if he doesn't want to negotiate with them? They give up a valuable draft pick for a 2 yr rental. It's a risk.

2 years at an inexpensive price is a fabulous deal for a starting QB -- who is potentially a franchise QB. Mallett is better than any1 in this draft. He also has real value to the Pats as Tom Brady's backup.

I would not trade Mallett for anything less than a 1st round pick. Bedard even suggested Belichick allow Mallett to host his own "pro day" before the April draft open to all interested teams. Pats should stop looking for the Browns to do them a favor -- rather create a real competition among Arizona, Cleveland, Philly, and any1 interested. Along with a willingness to keep him as Brady's backup.

Remember, to sign a backup now, teams are paying $3 to 4 million. Pats might have to do same. That factors in to Mallett's value.

Weeden is a scrub. It won't be a competition if Cleveland brings in Mallett. As a matter of fact, Mallett should have been a first round pick (IMO). There's nothing of note in this year's QB market for rookies.

Cleveland has brought this situation on themselves. A deaf, dumb and blind mute could see Weeden was a waste of a pick.

Unless he was too busy playing a "mean pinball" ;)

I wouldn't finalize a deal at that price unless I was pretty sure I could get Cassell or Hoyer back.

And by the way, either of the would eat more cap room than Mallett.

Still, I lean favorably.

I've seen a lot of intriguing trade deals. Some are more optimistic than others, but the one consistent thing is that I think they are all premature. It makes more sense for me for Cleveland and other Mallett suitors to wait until late April, on or just before the draft would be the most appropriate time for any Mallett deal to occur. Cleveland would be better served by waiting for the first blush of FA to subside and see where they stand. Right now they've been pretty active.

Yes, by all means wait so another team can make an offer for Mallet. Thats why theyve been the Browns. Good thinking.

I wouldn't finalize a deal at that price unless I was pretty sure I could get Cassell or Hoyer back.

And by the way, either of the would eat more cap room than Mallett.

Still, I lean favorably.

Cassell signed with Minnesota. $4m I think. Hoyer is a restricted free agent, may even be a 2nd rounder we'd have to give up. They aren't options

The backup qb position is another reason I'm certain we won't trade him for less than a 2nd and mist likely a 1st. If we are going to give up a good young backup qb with the skill set of a first round pick who could step in and lead our team if needed, there has to be an offer worth out while to give up that luxury

Hey guys, there's seriously 0% chance the Browns give up the 6th overall pick for Mallett, please stop discussing this as if there is any reasonable way it happens.

More likely is some combo of a lower pick this year (like a 4/5) and next years 3rd. No way they get a 1st, little chance they even see a second out of it.

Theres 0 chance that the Pats accept a 4th or 5th this year for Mallet. How is that getting value when he was taken in the 3rd round and has 2 NFL off seasons under his belt?

Who knows if Mallet will be a good NFL QB or not, but hes basically in this draft class if youre shopping for a young QB.

Yes, by all means wait so another team can make an offer for Mallet. Thats why theyve been the Browns. Good thinking.

If we had a lot of people clamoring for Mallett's services I'm guessing we would know it by now.

If we had a lot of people clamoring for Mallett's services I'm guessing we would know it by now.

I don't think I agree with that. We are one of the most tight lipped organizations in football. Other teams aren't going to announce they're interested in a player or leak that info because by doing so it would only drive up the perceived demand for a player and require them to pay more to get the player.

I don't think I agree with that. We are one of the most tight lipped organizations in football. Other teams aren't going to announce they're interested in a player or leak that info because by doing so it would only drive up the perceived demand for a player and require them to pay more to get the player.

I meant in the sense that if there was so much interest a trade probably would have been consummated. I think given his lack of game films he is a hard sell to front offices. I'm banking on the Browns being the place he ends up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes