PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Front Office got worked over in draft trade!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember reading this board when the 28th draft pick came up last year & a trade was announced that we had traded our 28th pick for S.F.'s '08 #1 & their '07 4th rounder??

90% of the people posting on this board were saying we just got ripped off, horrible trade etc etc.

Sure, I remember. Nobody minded trading away the 1st toward the future -- in fact, many of us predicted such a trade because the draft class was weak. The complaint was that the only sweetener was a 4th! That's extremely unusual, you usually get far more in that situation. It was taken as a sign that BB&SP really, really, really didn't like the 2007 draft class.

The subsequent trade of a 4th for Randy Moss was an absolute steal...but a separate trade. The subsequent torrent of injuries to the 2008 49ers are making the swap of #1s look more valuable than anyone could have imagined, but again that doesn't affect whether a 4th was a good enough sweetener.

This is like the Maroney/Addai thread yesterday: "Hey, looking back in hindsight after a series of unpredictable outcomes I've concluded that XX made stupid blundering decisions in the past!" It does't work that way. You make decisions based on the information at hand.

Besides, I still wish SF had given a 3rd rather than a 4th, don't you? Then it would have been our own 4th we traded for Moss and we would have taken LB Stewart Bradley with the 3rd (per Reiss) rather than Kareem Brown in the 4th.

There was definitely a lot of complaining about what the Pats did on draft day.

I personally wrote it off as some fans invest so much of their time and energy researching and getting excited about the draft that they got very disappointed that the Pats used very few picks.

The Pats thought last year's draft was horrible. I remember BB saying on WEEI the day before the draft that there were guys going to be picked on day 1 that the Pats had with UDFA grades. I remember thinking it was him referring to guys with character issues or soemthing. The next day it became clear he didn't think many of those guys could make his team. Having watched the team for 9 weeks - he was right.

Last edited:
There was definitely a lot of complaining about what the Pats did on draft day.

I personally wrote it off as some fans invest so much of their time and energy researching and getting excited about the draft that they got very disappointed that the Pats used very few picks.

The Pats thought last year's draft was horrible. I remember BB saying on WEEI the day before the draft that there were guys going to be picked on day 1 that the Pats had with UDFA grades. I remember thinking it was him referring to guys with character issues or soemthing. The next day it became clear he didn't think many of those guys could make his team. Having watched the team for 9 weeks - he was right.

There's no question about it...they traded away 5 picks for veterans and 2008 picks! Of the picks they actually exercised, half were untradable comp picks.

But I don't really think Patsfans draftniks were much surprised. For a reality check on how the Patsfans.com community evaluated the 2007 draft class before the draft, here are a couple of blast-from-the-past threads:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=53363
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=52173

The consensus, if you're not it a browsing mood: 2007 looks like a very weak draft for Pats-style players; expect to see a lot of picks traded away to 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case