PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Freeney injury status (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Is Freeney out for season?

Come on, okay, Seymour is a good player, but think about this front seven:

Warren, Wilfork, Freeney, Vrabel, Thomas, Colvin, Bruschi/Seau

Definitely compares to the old Steel Curtain front seven:

LC Greenwood, Ernie Holmes, Joe Greene, Dwight White, Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, Blankenship/Toews

No I can't imagine it. or would wan to do so.

Now if you wanted to put Urlacher in that list imnplace of Freeney, that I would like to imagine. or Karlos Dansby.

Can anyone actually see Freeney getting much playing time on the Patriots with BB?

He'd be in there on passing downs, say 3rd and 10. He'd see a lot of special team work.

I would have to agree that for a guy who's only job is to sack the QB, Freeney is not getting the job done the way he's supposed to anymore.

Furthermore, I cannot recall how many times I have read or heard other head coaches say that when you prepare for the Patriots, you start with Seymore.

Freeney averages 11 sacks a season. That is when ALL HE DOES is rush the passer.
Do you watch the games? Dwight Freeney on every snap, only rushes the QB. He spins, whirls, gets himself out of position, before even reading run or pass.
Seymour MUST ENGAGE THE BLOCKER FIRST. Seymours 29.5 sacks are BETTER than Freeney 55 given what they must do. If Richard Seymour was playing in a system where all he had to worry about was the pass rush, he would have many, many more sacks than Freeney does, and Freeney would get about one a month in a 2 gap system.
Its not even close.

Freeney USED TO get 11 sacks a year. He doesn't any more. The last two years he hasn't got 2/3 of 11 sacks in both years combined.

He has one move a spin move, that other LOTs have studied, and figured out how to handle. It's not anywhere as dangerous or effective as it used to be. Freeney still gets into the backfield so he gets credits for "first pressures" that appear to be about to collapse the pocket and scare inexperienced QBs. But experienced vets know that he won't get any further and complete pases around and over him or send RBs right by him into the hole in the Defense that he just created.

Last edited:

No! You DID NOT just say that!

You're laughing right now, right?

"Got old Armen on that one! LOL!", right?

You're not really suggesting you'd take a guy who plays 7-9 games a season and has a backup who is arguably more effective than he is over the highest-impact-RPM-motor-running D-Lineman in the NFL, are you? ARE YOU?

Can you even IMAGINE Freeney on this team? With Adalius Thomas and Vrabel and Warren and Wilfork?

Oh, my God, you're talking late '70's Steelers, the greatest D-Line ever assembled!

Wow! The Kool-Aid has permeated deep!

I am certain - I KNOW - Belichick disagrees with you. So does Pioli.

If they could trade Seymour for Freeney tomorrow, straight up, it's done!

Armen,
Step back from the ledge.
YOU KNOW what BB would do?
Based on what?
How many 260lb DEs who cannot play the run has he drafted? Umm, zero.
How many 300lb DL who are a force against the run, and excel in a 2gap system has he drafted? Well, 3 in the first round in 4 years.

What exactly are you expecting Freeney to do on this team?

It would appear that you are expecting BB to ABANDON his principles of defense. You cannot put Freeney on the field in a 34, so BB would have to be so in awe of Freeney that he would change to a 43.
You can't put Freeney on the field in a 2gap system, or one that values stopping the run.
So, in your infinite wisdom, you KNOW that BB would abandon every principal he has about defensive football that he has developed over the last 40 years, because getting a guy on the field who can accumulate 9 sacks of the QB every 25 games is more valuable than everything BB believes about defensive football.

This is one of the most ludicrous arguments I have ever seen on this board.

(by the way, the ploy of proving your right by saying "I KNOW WHAT BB WOULD DO" is the first sign someone knows they are wrong)

Come on, okay, Seymour is a good player, but think about this front seven:

Warren, Wilfork, Freeney, Vrabel, Thomas, Colvin, Bruschi/Seau

Definitely compares to the old Steel Curtain front seven:

LC Greenwood, Ernie Holmes, Joe Greene, Dwight White, Jack Ham, Jack Lambert, Blankenship/Toews

Warren, Wilfork, Seymour, Vrabel, Thomas, Colvin, Bruschi/seau
is far better.
You want to take one of the best run defending DLs off the field in a 2gap system and replace him with a 260lb ballerina? How would we stop the run?
Please explain how Freeney will play 2gap against a LT.
Please explain what we gain? We wouldn't get 9 sacks in 25 games because he cant get those by engaging the blocker in a 2 gap system. He can only get that many if he is given free reign to worry about nothing other than rushing. In other words, giving him every advantage possible he can only get 9 sacks in 25 games. Make him play honest and it might be 5.
We have gotten more sacks out of the RDE position the last 2 years than the Colts, and you want to give away an All-Pro DL to bring in the guy who will get us fewer sacks?

Warren, Wilfork, Seymour, Vrabel, Thomas, Colvin, Bruschi/seau
is far better.
You want to take one of the best run defending DLs off the field in a 2gap system and replace him with a 260lb ballerina? How would we stop the run?
Please explain how Freeney will play 2gap against a LT.
Please explain what we gain? We wouldn't get 9 sacks in 25 games because he cant get those by engaging the blocker in a 2 gap system. He can only get that many if he is given free reign to worry about nothing other than rushing. In other words, giving him every advantage possible he can only get 9 sacks in 25 games. Make him play honest and it might be 5.
We have gotten more sacks out of the RDE position the last 2 years than the Colts, and you want to give away an All-Pro DL to bring in the guy who will get us fewer sacks?

I agree, if you are looking for stats go to another team.. the reality is that Seymour makes everyone look better.. did anyone notice how our role player, J. Green, did not allow Ty Warren not to look as good as he did last year. When Seymour is at full strength, Warren, Wilfork and all the LB's look better.

Armen,
Step back from the ledge.
YOU KNOW what BB would do?
Based on what?
How many 260lb DEs who cannot play the run has he drafted? Umm, zero.
How many 300lb DL who are a force against the run, and excel in a 2gap system has he drafted? Well, 3 in the first round in 4 years.

Freeney is barely big enough to be a Pats LB ... and who knows if he can cover.

I agree, if you are looking for stats go to another team.. the reality is that Seymour makes everyone look better.. did anyone notice how our role player, J. Green, did not allow Ty Warren not to look as good as he did last year. When Seymour is at full strength, Warren, Wilfork and all the LB's look better.

But even if you are looking for stats, Freeneys are worse than some backups, including Jarvis Green

Freeney is barely big enough to be a Pats LB ... and who knows if he can cover.

He probably isnt big enough, but there is no way he can take on a blocker in the running game anywhere close to as well as Vrabel, Colvin or Thomas.

Really? Okay, I guess I just am way off base here.

You are actually completely off. Dwight Freeney wouldn't be successful at all in NE's defense, and the fact that you've even suggested he would do better in the system than Seymour is downright laughable to me.

Last edited:

In an attempt to get this thread back on track:

From Indy Star

"With Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney expected to miss a “significant amount of time” with an injury sustained Sunday, the Colts on Monday acquired three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Simeon Rice off waivers, Colts President Bill Polian said.

Freeney, who has registered a franchise-record 60 sacks in six NFL seasons – including 3.5 this season – sustained a foot injury late in the Colts’ loss to the San Diego Chargers on Sunday night.

“We anticipate that Dwight will miss some significant amount of time – three, four games, maybe more,” Polian said Monday night on his weekly radio show.

Last edited:

Freeney be out a few weeks, that's suck. Hope he recovered.

Oh btw, Freeney can never take Seymour place in BB 2 gap 3-4. BB might consider him to be a LB but only if Freeney is good in coverages(which I dont think he is)

Also, our DL avg. 298 lbs.

Freeney be out a few weeks, that's suck. Hope he recovered.

Oh btw, Freeney can never take Seymour place in BB 2 gap 3-4. BB might consider him to be a LB but only if Freeney is good in coverages(which I dont think he is)

Also, our DL avg. 298 lbs.

A lot of Freeny's effectiveness comes from jumping around trying to penetrate via different gaps. That's not a good thing for a 3-4 DE to be doing.

Last edited:

Freeney clearly suffered a foot injury -- sprain? broken bone? it really doesn't matter. The entire forefoot is a sack of fragile bones held together by a web of ligaments. It doesn't heal worth a damn because, once it's destabilized, there's just nothing holding it together.

Think Ty Law.

The team will probably keep Freeney in a boot for five or six weeks, take the boot off, and see if he can run and cut. If he can, great. If he can't, season ending surgery.

The Eagles got to be experts at Lis Franc and other similar injuries. Their staff has written some papers suggesting that the best odds of recovery are putting the player immediately into surgery, putting in screws to stabilize the bones and let the ligaments really heal. Whether a bone is cracked or not isn't the issue. It's the fact that the adjacent bones are constantly moving around and stretching the injured ligaments holding the bones together. Using screws to stabilize a couple of adjacent bones allows the ligaments to heal. Apparently waiting the couple of months "to see if rest will fix it" reduces the odds of long term pain-free stability.

Deon Branch has the same kind of injury. He's been "week to week" for a month now. Shaun Alexander had this kind of injury last year and claimed "god heeled his foot" after a month. But, he's not the same player...probably because he's suffering pain that he won't admit to. I suspect that Law has played in pain ever since his injury.

The theory is that today's ultra lightweight football shoes may be contributing to a rash of these injuries as they provide zero support for 200 and 300 pound men pounding away on their feet. But, guys like Freeney want to wear wide receiver shoes "to make them quicker".

Last edited:

I really hope Freeney makes it back and is full strength for the playoffs. I don't want to give any team any excuses for not being able to stop this machine: the 2007/08 Patriots.

The theory is that today's ultra lightweight football shoes may be contributing to a rash of these injuries as they provide zero support for 200 and 300 pound men pounding away on their feet. But, guys like Freeney want to wear wide receiver shoes "to make them quicker".

The field was in terrible condition especially in the second half last night.

oh boy..all the colts fans bold predictions that they will handle the Pats at the Razor sem to be crumbling into dust

Both Seymour and Freeney are both tremendous DE's there is no denying that. But to compare them is a little bit unfair especially for the roles they are designed to do. With that said, if i were to anchor my defense i would take Richard Seymour over Freeney because he offers far more versatility in pass and rush defense. Defending Seymour is also very intimidating to play against considering how fast for a person measured at 6'6" and at 310 pounds. He is stunningly quick for a person who takes up that much gravity.

Seymour though bigger, does not need to constantly utilize great bursts of speed and agility like Freeney does in order to be effective. Freeney's relatively small size absolutely requires the need for these burts, but it also takes a great deal of energy to accomplish those maneuvers. Seymour on the other hand can dominate on defense in a more consistent and sustained effort because of his natural and physical strength. His size and natural ability automatically gives him an advantage over 80% of the offensive lines in the NFL. The big advantage that Seymour has over Freeney is in the run defense. He is head and shoulders far more dominant in this area in comparison to Freeney.

Both are great but in all honesty i would take Seymour over Freeney in a heartbeat.

he weighs 268 (versus 310)!!! he can't play the 3-4!!! And if you think he can play the 3-4, there's no evidence that he can. We need someone to stop the run and take up two offensive linemen, not do spins.

Also, Seymour is 5 inches taller. He can actually bat down passes

Freeney would be an OLB for us, not a DL.

Freeney better than Seymour ?

What are you, High ?

It's not even worth arguing over. It's not a feasible discussion.

It's like saying who's better, Chad Pennington or Tom Brady ?

Freeney is an excellent pass rusher, but a one-dimensional player.
He fits right in on the colts, who, like the chargers, think stats define players.

Seymour is a stud, who passes on stats, in favor of rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes