PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Freeney injury status (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Is Freeney out for season?

I find Freeney to be the most overrated player in the league. I would take 2/3of a Seymour over him. I don't like players that make a spectacular play one play and get blown out the next. And that is Freeney. Maybe it's just me.

Seymour is a Dan Hampton, Bob Lilly, Merlin Olsen type player and multi-time complete "foundation" defensive lineman. Foundation linemen make all the other players on the line much better. The thing they all have in common is that they had or have complete games, equally facile against the pass or run, that merits constant double teaming. The other thing they have in common is that they all are or will be in Canton's Pro Football HOF.

Freeney is an undersized, overrated, can't play the run, pass rusher with one spin move. He no longer even gets many sacks, either. Being held to 3 last season, and a few more this year, as he lives off his past reputation. Over the past two years, despite injuries, Seymour has actually had a lot more Sacks than the poor excuse that brings only that to his game, and is a weakness every where else. The only way he gets into Canton, is to buy an admission ticket...

Well stated.....but he doesn't put up stats and the media digs stats.....

Eff stats, gimme a winner everytime and Seymour is a winner, perfect for our scheme.

ADPF, Freeney is not a 3-4 lineman. He cannot tackle running backs, and he cannot hold up the point of attack or draw double teams on running downs. He is a one-dimensional pass rusher. A great one-dimensional pass rusher, but not the right fit for a 3-4 lineman.

I think Warren's better than Seymour, but there's not many guys I'd rather have.

Last edited:

I'd take Freeney over Seymour in a heartbeat. In a heartbeat.

I don't think there's a defensive end in the league who has the kind of game impact he does. He was about 60% responsible for the Colts even being in the game last week.

Seymour in that Colts D wouldnt even play end, he'd play tackle. Definitely a round hole, square peg situation. And Seymour is by far the more dominant overall player. People talk about how tired McNabb was at the end of the Superbowl. Tired of getting hammered by Seymour. No coincidence this team won a Superbowl during Seymour's first season, and two since. He's not a 5-time ProBowler for nothin'.

I find Freeney to be the most overrated player in the league. I would take 2/3of a Seymour over him. I don't like players that make a spectacular play one play and get blown out the next. And that is Freeney. Maybe it's just me.

Really? Okay, I guess I just am way off base here.

I'd take Freeney over Seymour in a heartbeat. In a heartbeat.

I don't think there's a defensive end in the league who has the kind of game impact he does. He was about 60% responsible for the Colts even being in the game last week.

he weighs 268 (versus 310)!!! he can't play the 3-4!!! And if you think he can play the 3-4, there's no evidence that he can. We need someone to stop the run and take up two offensive linemen, not do spins.

Also, Seymour is 5 inches taller. He can actually bat down passes

Last edited:

POSTED 4:19 p.m. EST, November 12, 2007

FREENEY COULD BE OUT FOR A WHILE

Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney could be out for the team's Week Eleven game, and possibly longer, after suffering a foot/ankle injury on Sunday night against the Chargers.

Freeney sustained the injury while rushing San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers. His agent, Gary Wichard, told the Indianapolis Star that "it felt really weird and he was going to get it looked at. He told me he was stepped on when he was doing a spin move."

Also injured on Sunday night were offensive tackles Charles Johnson and Ryan Diem.

Though the team's overall injury situation has prompted many media types to make excuses for the Colts, let's not forget that one of the reasons that the team has limited depth is because G.M. Bill Polian has a bunch of money invested in a handful of guys.

Specifically, quarterback Peyton Manning, receivers Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, and Freeney are all devouring disproportionate amounts of salary cap pie. And although Polian has been able to surround Manning with enough starters to win a Super Bowl, the lack of cap space requires Polian to scrimp when it comes to the rest of the roster.

And it's not completely Polian's fault. Manning backed the Colts into a corner at a time when the franchise tender based on the cap number for the final year of his rookie contract would have crippled the franchise's efforts to field a competitive team. Still, he faced no such pressure to pay Freeney $30 million in guaranteed money, and might have been better off using the non-exclusive franchise tag and either forcing him to sign the one-year offer or trading him out from under it.

Seymour>>>>>>>Freeney

In a heartbeat. In a heartbeat.

Even while they are vastly different players and work in vastly different schemes. Seymour, at his best, can not be taken out of games. Freeney, at his best, CAN be taken out of games.

Seymour is a player that a 3-time Super Bowl Champion defense is built around.

Freeney? Not so much.

Teams don't gameplan to run at Seymour. 'Nuff said.

he weighs 268!!! he can't play the 3-4!!! And if you think he can play the 3-4, there's no evidence that he can. We need someone to stop the run and take up two offensive linemen, not do spins.

You really don't think with his talent, Freeney couldn't put on some pounds and play in the Pats system?

Or, a better question is, you don't think Belichick, who has proven he will tailor his game plans to his talent, wouldn't find a way to incorporate a talent like Freeney?

Freeney's RS career numbers (through 2006):

-74 games played in 5 seasons, including 16 games each of the last three and 14 in 2003. Rookie year: 12 games. Average of 14.80 per season.
-161 career tackles
-55 career sacks

Seymour's RS career numbers (through 2006):

-87 games played in 6 seasons. Rookie year: 13 games. Average of 14.50 per season.
-176 career tackles
-29.5 career sacks

So, statistically, they are close.

Now, gut reaction: You watch a game and Seymour is in there and Freeney is in there.

Who do you notice more? Who makes more of an impact?

Honestly?

You CANNOT answer honestly and answer Seymour.

Say you love Seymour because he is a Patriot, say you love him because you're a homer for all things New England, say you love him because he is perfect for this particular system as it is constituted today. Heck, say you plunked down $90 on a Seymour jersey and you just don't want to see him leave!

I will repsect all those answers.

But don't say Richard Seymour is more of an IMPACT player than Dwight Freeney!

Last edited:

Who do you notice more?

Freeney, because he's always in the backfield. Just because he's high-visibility doesn't mean he's making plays.

Not to mention that the Colts losing Freeney is much more serious than the Pats losing Seymour for the following reasons:

1) The Pats have greater talent and depth on the defensive line than the Colts

2) New England is accustomed to playing without Seymour due to his chronic injury history

3) Freeney is a player of greater impact than Seymour

(and don't anyone even start arguing that you'd take Seymour over Freeney, because if you do, you're just whacked. WHACKED!)

I wouldnt even have to think about taking Freeney over Seymour. I'd take Seymour over 2 Freeneys.
Freeney is a one-dimensional player who would sit on the bench in our system and come in as a 3rd down pass rusher.
He is horrendous against the run, and overrated because he gets a few sacks (and his #s still arent that good) by being allowed to rush the passer on every snap, while RBs go right past him.
Its not even close.

Now, gut reaction: You watch a game and Seymour is in there and Freeney is in there.

Honestly?

Say you love Seymour because he is a Patriot, say you love him because you're a homer for all things New England, say you love him because he is perfect for this particular system as it is constituted today. Heck, say you plunked down $90 on a Seymour jersey and you just don't want to see him leave!

do you actually watch the games?

You really don't think with his talent, Freeney couldn't put on some pounds and play in the Pats system?

Or, a better question is, you don't think Belichick, who has proven he will tailor his game plans to his talent, wouldn't find a way to incorporate a talent like Freeney?

Freeney's RS career numbers (through 2006):

-74 games played in 5 seasons, including 16 games each of the last three and 14 in 2003. Rookie year: 12 games. Average of 14.80 per season.
-161 career tackles
-55 career sacks

Seymour's RS career numbers (through 2006):

-87 games played in 6 seasons. Rookie year: 13 games. Average of 14.50 per season.
-176 career tackles
-29.5 career sacks

So, statistically, they are close.

Honestly?

Freeney averages 11 sacks a season. That is when ALL HE DOES is rush the passer.
Do you watch the games? Dwight Freeney on every snap, only rushes the QB. He spins, whirls, gets himself out of position, before even reading run or pass.
Seymour MUST ENGAGE THE BLOCKER FIRST. Seymours 29.5 sacks are BETTER than Freeney 55 given what they must do. If Richard Seymour was playing in a system where all he had to worry about was the pass rush, he would have many, many more sacks than Freeney does, and Freeney would get about one a month in a 2 gap system.
Its not even close.

Freeney reminds me of Wily Mo Pena. Swings for the fences every time, and sometimes he hits one where you just have to say, "Wow." The rest of the time, he's a non-factor.

And by the way, a COMPLETE DL who stops the run, and can rush the passer has a ton more impact than a pass rush only one-dimensional player.

Choosing media darling Freeney over (yes the oft-injured) Seymour is the result of listening to the blathering of the TV broadcasters and NFL pundits. My advice, don't do it.

If Freeney put on 30 lbs. (over time, that's steroid usage if it's fast), he'd be slow and sluggish. He isn't tall or sleek enough to play at that weight and maintain the same athleticism and speed that make him the player he is, like a guy like Seymour, Warren, or Mario Williams.

And Seymour has as much of an impact as Freeney if you actually pay attention to the games. Freeney can't tackle, and he doesn't command double teams. He can be blocked by a tight end. Seymour eats tackles for breakfast. There's alot more to the game than sacks (and it's not like Freeney's racking them up this year, either).

Last edited:

Seymour is FAR more of an impact player against the run. If the Colts get healthy, we'll need that to stop Addai.

Freeney can't hold Seymour's jock against the run. Freeney absolutely has Seymour hands down as a pass rusher, but he is not nearly as big & powerful as Seymour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back