PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Freeman: Pats fans are the most obnoxious

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm HOPING there are others who disagree with it and can state their case..I KNOW there are many..but whether they can actually answer all or some of the points made in it??? (Actually it's a rather sad article..)

It is a sad article...

I am not sure if I can state my case about it...but I will say this. What happened last sunday IMO proves that fans will do what they want when they go to games on their own free will. They will cheer and jeer when the team does well and boo and curse when they dont.

We as Patriot fans have been spoiled over the last 7 years to have a very successful organization. I for one have enjoyed all of it and I dont think I am alone.

The point I am trying to make is fans will do what they want during a game whether we think its a good idea or not. I personally dont think it helps but then again, I am just a homer.

It is a sad article...

I am not sure if I can state my case about it...but I will say this. What happened last sunday IMO proves that fans will do what they want when they go to games on their own free will. They will cheer and jeer when the team does well and boo and curse when they dont.

We as Patriot fans have been spoiled over the last 7 years to have a very successful organization. I for one have enjoyed all of it and I dont think I am alone.

The point I am trying to make is fans will do what they want during a game whether we think its a good idea or not. I personally dont think it helps but then again, I am just a homer.
It really isn't whether any of us think it's a bad idea or not..just that it shows a real lack of perspective, appreciation and a larger view of football, the NFL or this organization. I doubt you are a "homer"..I am more willing to bet that you have seen the organization in worse times and know the difference between those lean times and now. When one has experienced some of the worst one can differentiate between those times and now..in coaching, management and owners. The Pats had some good players in teh past..but could not get them on the same page.
And that's just it..very simple..it's all immediate, instant gratification and emotion. Pretty thin fandom.

It really isn't whether any of us think it's a bad idea or not..just that it shows a real lack of perspective, appreciation and a larger view of football, the NFL or this organization. I doubt you are a "homer"..I am more willing to bet that you have seen the organization in worse times and know the difference between those lean times and now. When one has experienced some of the worst one can differentiate between those times and now..in coaching, management and owners. The Pats had some good players in teh past..but could not get them on the same page.
And that's just it..very simple..it's all immediate, instant gratification and emotion. Pretty thin fandom.

Yeah that makes sense then. It seems as you said, our fan bases is thin and is all about instant gratification. Anything less, bring on the boos and the cursing.

Quitting?? Really...they walked off the field and quit??? Must have missed that..so you pay and that means what?? Guess one isn't a fan......hmmm.

Pats726 - why are you or others even bothering debating whether the team literally, or figuratively quit?

Unless you are utter and blatant hypocrites, you've firmly established that it wouldn't matter if the team refused to come off the bench. That would not be a reason to boo - there is NEVER a good reason to boo. You and AJ and Tunescribe and others have been quite clear about that.

So be clear and honest here. You would cheer the team if they literally walked off the field and quit? That's the standard you've previously established. No reason ever to boo.

So unless you're a complete hypocrite tell us all that if the team literally walked off the field and quit, you would not boo, as booing is NEVER constructive.

Given the fact that they're coming off a winning streak (oh, wait, now you've changed that to include other years so you can continue to righteously mock other fans if need be now that the streak is over) they CANNOT be booed no matter what, right? The team literally lies down and you, a good and righteous fan, continues to cheer.

I think the issue here is that we have fans and cult members - and if anyone does or says anything the least bit critical of a team that didn't give 100% and let a 1-17 team make an 18-0 team look like a 1-17 team, you guys go into Cult Mode and attack your fellow fans.

That and the fact that you're gullible enough to agree with the Mediots. That's pretty clear since the fans booed the Patriots in their 41-17 home loss to the Chargers in '05.

Back then, even right on the tail of the Third Super Bowl, there were no articles by Mediots questioning why fans would boo such a poor performance - and thus, no criticism by righteous cult members of the fans that booed. This time, with no additional Super Bowls since that time, an article appears and everyone has a knee jerk reaction to agree.

Last edited:
Pats726 - why are you or others even bothering debating whether the team literally, or figuratively quit?

Unless you are utter and blatant hypocrites, you've firmly established that it wouldn't matter if the team refused to come off the bench. That would not be a reason to boo - there is NEVER a good reason to boo. You and AJ and Tunescribe and others have been quite clear about that.

So be clear and honest here. You would cheer the team if they literally walked off the field and quit? That's the standard you've previously established. No reason ever to boo.

So unless you're a complete hypocrite tell us all that if the team literally walked off the field and quit, you would not boo, as booing is NEVER constructive.

Given the fact that they're coming off a winning streak (oh, wait, now you've changed that to include other years so you can continue to righteously mock other fans if need be now that the streak is over) they CANNOT be booed no matter what, right? The team literally lies down and you, a good and righteous fan, continues to cheer.

I think the issue here is that we have fans and cult members - and if anyone does or says anything the least bit critical of a team that didn't give 100% and let a 1-17 team make an 18-0 team look like a 1-17 team, you guys go into Cult Mode and attack your fellow fans.

That and the fact that you're gullible enough to agree with the Mediots. That's pretty clear since the fans booed the Patriots in their 41-17 home loss to the Chargers in '05.

Back then, even right on the tail of the Third Super Bowl, there were no articles by Mediots questioning why fans would boo such a poor performance - and thus, no criticism by righteous cult members of the fans that booed. This time, with no additional Super Bowls since that time, an article appears and everyone has a knee jerk reaction to agree.

Exactly. Every true fan of the Patriots was pained by what they saw on the field last Sunday.

The difference is that now, with the loss of TB among other things, no one knows which way this team is headed.

Some fans (most of whom were not at the game) witnessed booing and people leaving the stadium early on their Teevee sets, adding insult to injury.

Then on top of it, people who have just been chomping at the bit to find ways to belittle the Patriots are highlighting the behavior of some of the fans at the stadium as one of them.

Some fans who need somewhere to place the blame for what happened and can't admit that some of it should fall on the shoulders of their beloved team or coach are falling for it hook line and sinker. That's the really sad part about it.

As a Mexican big fan who has never been in a Patriots game, I must say I was furious when I saw so many people booing and leaving the stadium early. This team have won so much in this decade to act this way in their first terrible game since 2006.

Yes, the game was a nightmare and yes, fans have the right to express their frustration, but this was out of proportion.

If Pats go 3-13, well, they might deserve some booing, but they are 2-1! We have to accept that, without Tom Brady in the picture, we'll have some very bad days, but this is the time when the team needs most our support. It was very easy to say "I'm a Patriot" last year, today we can see who the truly fans are.

Here goes an analogy. I'm a big fan of Pumas in soccer. My team won two championships in 2004 (we have two tournaments per year), then had a terrible 2005. We had waited 13 years for a title, so when Pumas started to decline the fans kept cheering for them. Yes, we ended booing coach Hugo Sánchez (despite he was Mexican best player ever and the first manager to win consecutive titles in Mexican League since 1996), but that was after 10 months of constant losing, not in the first defeat.

Ahhhhhh yeah..

Whatever you guys say is reasonable....I'm there......

Yeah, that's it...I'll "Be"there....... sure I will..

Whatever............

That article is ridiculous...a few fans booing at certain points of the game make Pats fans obnoxious.

My guess is he wasn't at the game so doesn't really know what it was like.

I can't believe I took the time to read that article.

Some fans who need somewhere to place the blame for what happened and can't admit that some of it should fall on the shoulders of their beloved team or coach are falling for it hook line and sinker. That's the really sad part about it.

Exactly... and while I didn't boo, I sure didn't cheer what I felt was a team that really wasn't engaged and giving 100% effort... seems like some fans in the stands noticed that too.

Hopefully AJ, Pats726 and Tunescribe's refusal to respond to the question of whether there'd be a reason to boo if players only gave 75%, 50% or even 0% effort means they finally understand that YES, there are times when fans feel justified in booing.

There have been far less talented teams that have seemingly given more than 100% - and deserve to be cheered even if they finish 3-13

A pro bowl Defense that allows a 1-17 team make an 18-0 team look like a 1-17 team is a different story.

The Patriots fan base is funny because they care so much about what people think of them. The booing is in part to the team really not showing up to play against Miami and in part to the frustration of losing Tom Brady for the year. The fans love the team. But this could be a long season and if we hear more boos, I think it's frustration and that's it.

Quote:

>>>Some football fan purists with more intricate knowledge of the sport are being replaced by corporate metrosexuals who see a football game as nothing more than a way to impress a client or get laid.<<<<<<<<

I'm not a prude but that is one expression that you don't often see in the mainstream media or in a national magazine or reputable website. He couldn't have cleaned it up or couched it in language less crude (e.g. get lucky). It's one thing to post it on a BB or forum like here. It's another for it to be part of CBS.sportsline....
Just my $0.02

I totally agree with your take on this....

The Kansas City crowd today watched their team take the lead in a game absolutely no one thought they could win. The team did this through a pure, physical effort by every player on the field. At the end of the first half they were winning by 2 points and called two short runs rather than try to score more.

They got booed by their home crowd.

So is every KC fan that booed a terrible hopeless vile bandwagon scumbag? Or is it only wrong to boo if you have a winning streak? Could it be possible that booing doesn't always mean "I hate you and you suck"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore