PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Freeman: Pats fans are the most obnoxious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Freeman:pats fans are the most obnoxious

I agree with you - racism does exist everywhere. It's Freeman who disagrees, to a significant degree, with both of us. If you Google "Mike Freeman Boston" and read the article he wrote in the Jacksonville paper which excoriates Boston fans and paints all of us with the same racist brush, I think you might consider that I'm not that far "off base." Without a doubt, Boston was one of the most racist cities in the United States in the 1960's and 70's. While things aren't perfect now, they are a whole lot better than they were then and, having traveled extensively, I can tell you that it is a worse in other cities. Freeman, clearly, disagrees. His agenda is not with the Patriots and their coach. Rather, it is with the fans of Boston/New England.

yeah, mass. is so racist they elected an african american governor. he should try being in san diego.

Anybody trying to say one fan base is more obnoxious than the rest is laughable and ignorant. Every fan base has their good and bad. Every fan base has fans that will boo a performance like Sunday's I don't care who you are. This is stupid.

As much as I hate to see the fans leaving the stadium early and hear the boos during the Patriots' sorry performance, I've got to agree that the vast majority of fan bases would act the exact same way in the same circumstances.

That's the way people are. It has nothing to do with whether you're a Patriot fan, a Charger fan or a Steelers fan. It's just the way it is. :(

I was upset about the booing, although I've been to games in the past where we've booed because we took a knee before half time (and these were the superbowl years) but as for the fans leaving in the 3rd quarter, so what? Fans of all teams do that when they're getting blown out, not only that but has this guy ever tried to get out of foxboro via route 1 after a pats game? Feckin' forget about it man you'll be there for hours if you wait until the end of the game

"Congratulations, New England Patriots fans, your testicles have dropped. You are the top dog when it comes to whiney fans who take winning for granted."

I like it. That was disgusting to watch from so far away. I don't care how much they pay for tickets.

I agreed with the booing. Not for the losing, but for the quitting. You spend you family's money watching multimillionaires let up against the worst team in football on a Sunday afternoon you have a right to boo. If the team is trying, then booing is unthinkable.
Quitting?? Really...they walked off the field and quit??? Must have missed that..so you pay and that means what?? Guess one isn't a fan......hmmm.

As much as I hate to see the fans leaving the stadium early and hear the boos during the Patriots' sorry performance, I've got to agree that the vast majority of fan bases would act the exact same way in the same circumstances.

That's the way people are. It has nothing to do with whether you're a Patriot fan, a Charger fan or a Steelers fan. It's just the way it is. :(

well could be. ..but i didnt see anyone in green bay leave sunday night down 27-9 ..less than 5 mins to go.

I was upset about the booing, although I've been to games in the past where we've booed because we took a knee before half time (and these were the superbowl years) but as for the fans leaving in the 3rd quarter, so what? Fans of all teams do that when they're getting blown out, not only that but has this guy ever tried to get out of foxboro via route 1 after a pats game? Feckin' forget about it man you'll be there for hours if you wait until the end of the game

I've said my piece on the booing but some of the media and fans of other teams have been all over that.

Regardless of the sport or the City, when the home team is getting blown out the fans leave.

Do you remember the AFC Championship Game against the Steelers in January of '05? That place was empty halfway through the 4th quarter. I didn't see anyone calling out the Steelers fans.

well could be. ..but i didnt see anyone in green bay leave sunday night down 27-9 ..less than 5 mins to go.
For most of those yahoos, Packer games are the only occasions they've ever been out of the house socially other than barn-raisings. If they leave the stadium, the only place left to go is to the bathroom.

That's a terrible example. All Green Bay has is the Packers. They would sit there if the team was losing 300-0 in the 1st qtr as there is nothing else going on.

I didn't read this whole thread so mea culpa.

I agree with some of his points, especially his remarks about the corporate crowd. Reading his article you get the sense he does indeed 'like' the Patriots, or at least respects them, plus he defended BB during Spygate.http://www.sportsline.com/print/nfl/story/10683571/2

I don't know anything about the racist thing-Wilbon had the same complaint about Boston.

I thought some of the comments were pretty interesting- I didn't read them all but this has definitely become a polarizing issue here in Patriot Nation.

I understand the differing viewpoints about booing but what I don't get is why it's such a HUGE issue. Sox fans have booed many,many times but the world doesn't hold it against them nor does the team-they reciprocally forgive and forget.

So the story goes, back in the Larry Bird days the Celtics had just won 8 championships in a row...amazing... Anyway the Celts fans went on to boo a bad play by Larry Bird. I have no idea if anyone questioned those fans' 'fanhood', and if anyone did it certainly never came down to such a polarization as Sunday has become.

Think of the teams who just pray someone will even show up to watch them. Fan diversity is a consequence of being a great and legendary team. If you're mediocre, nobody cares what fans do.

Maybe this furor should be taken as a compliment-it's not every fanbase who questions itself like this one does.

As far as I am concerned anything anyone says about us or the Pats is a knee jerk reaction to a bad day.

More than one person on here has said they give the Pats a mulligan on the last game. They get beat bad by a supposedly mediocre team. We should reserve judgement on the rest of the season until we see how they respond as a team.

I think we should do the same for our fellow fans. Weren't we all stunned by the last game? Weren't we all taking by surprise and unprepared to handle a situation like this? I think the fans deserve a mulligan also. Lets all take a deep breath and show some love.

Have a nice day

Y'all ought to be ashamed of yourselves. I love the top of this article.

It's official. The most spoiled, brat-ish, fat-baby, knee-jerk, jerk-faced, obnoxious fans in all of sports are no longer New York Yankees followers. They've been usurped. And that's saying something.

They've been eclipsed by another group that is a clear No. 1 after booing one of the great dynasties in the history of organized sports. Congratulations, New England Patriots fans, your testicles have dropped. You are the top dog when it comes to whiney fans who take winning for granted.

You elevated the spoiled-brat fan phenomenon in sports to an entirely different level when on Sunday you heavily booed a team that's only one of two to win three Super Bowls in a four-year span, went undefeated in the regular season and generated the two longest winning streaks in NFL history.

Sure, go ahead and boo. The Patriots have obviously and clearly sucked.

I'm not sure why all of you don't think that article is trash. He clearly says all Boston fans "don't know football" because a group of them booed. It's just a hate piece, the type of which we're all used to seeing, designed to spark controversy for an aspiring writer.

I'm not sure why all of you don't think that article is trash. He clearly says all Boston fans "don't know football" because a group of them booed. It's just a hate piece, the type of which we're all used to seeing, designed to spark controversy for an aspiring writer.
A hate piece?? Maybe people don't like it because there is a lot of truth about the way fans acted and MANy here see that as well. It seemed more than a few...and many just walked out...MANy not just a few..DROVES!!

A hate piece?? Maybe people don't like it because there is a lot of truth about the way fans acted and MANy here see that as well. It seemed more than a few...and many just walked out...MANy not just a few..DROVES!!

I think the root of the problem is that for many years the Boston Sports Media cultivated a following by creating it's own us against the world mentality here. Our Basketball and Hockey teams were elite and respected and successful predating the sports media explosion. Our Baseball and Football teams were not. And there were teams in those sports in NY in particular that were. So the stage was set to create the illusion that while our teams (and thier ownership and management) were not elite our fans and media who deserved better were at least intellectually superior to other fan bases/media. It was an easy sell. Still is.

Last edited:
personally i totally agree with the article

i didn't liked it either

here we have another attitude

a fan is a fan in the BAD and in he GOOD times

and i'm too like that

instead booing eventually i would have been silent but not booing and not leaving early the stadium

simple

i would love to see ANY Patriot game and to be in the Stadium making on Sunday my best to help the team to win !

Last edited:

You're right; Green Bay is different. In fact, there seems to be tremendous peer pressure in Green Bay to not leave early.

QUESTION...To those that boo the home team, think it is OK...what is so OFF TARGET with the Freeman article?? SO far..I have not heard anyone state why it's off base...please..I am trying to understand why???

QUESTION...To those that boo the home team, think it is OK...what is so OFF TARGET with the Freeman article?? SO far..I have not heard anyone state why it's off base...please..I am trying to understand why???

IMO his article is pretty accurate of how the fans acted last Sunday.

IMO his article is pretty accurate of how the fans acted last Sunday.
I'm HOPING there are others who disagree with it and can state their case..I KNOW there are many..but whether they can actually answer all or some of the points made in it??? (Actually it's a rather sad article..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes