PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent Signings around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that lots and lots of players would choose to live in JAX over CLE. There are lots of nice areas outside the city.

I don't doubt that. Cleveland is a pit.

And as far as the worst cities in America, many would NOT list Jacksonville.

Depends on how you'd quantify "many." Certainly it's not a Detroit or Gary, Indiana, but it's bad (I will concede I my judgments may be weighted by my anti-Florida bias).

And as far as the worst cities in America, many would NOT list Jacksonville.

The only people who would list Washington are people who don't realize we're not in the 1980s anymore.

Say what you want about Lloyd (and yeah, watching him trip over shadows can be aggravating!), but he won't be walking around in deep depression in his 40's

Actually, with his rumored bipolar disorder, he very well may have been walking around in his 20s in a deep depression.

The Bengals signed former Texans DE Sam Montgomery. In 31 games at LSU he had 19 sacks and 32.5 tackles for a loss before being drafted in the third round by Houston last year. Houston released him and two other players on a road trip to Kansas City for violating team rules, which was rumored to be for smoking weed; he had been inactive in all seven games up to that point. After being released Oakland signed him to their practice squad, but they cut him just three days later.

Bengals take flyer on Sam Montgomery

The Bengals annual rite of seeking diamonds in the NFL scrap heap added a name Friday. The team signed defensive end Sam Montgomery, a 2013 third-round pick of the Houston Texans who was a two-time first team All-SEC player while at LSU. That team won the SEC title game before losing to Alabama in the national championship.

Coming out of LSU red flags were raised regarding his effort. At one point he admitted taking plays off and placing bets with teammate Barkevious Mingo. That was part of his slide down draft boards to No. 95 overall.

Cincinnati has taken chances on talented players with a history of lacking effort on and off the field before. Names like Derrick Harvey and Aaron Maybin have joined the team only to be cut early in camp. The low risk, high reward flyer comes in hopes of landing the next version of Vontaze Burfict, who rose from an epic fall out of the 2012 draft and and undrafted college free agent to the NFL's leading tackler in 2013.​

In case there were still any lingering doubts, it looks like it is light's out on 29-year old Shawne Merriman's NFL career.

Former Maryland and NFL player Shawne Merriman joining the WWE family - Testudo Times

Yesterday on the John Layfield and Michael Cole show, the two announced that the former Terp and NFL linebacker would be "joining the WWE family." Now, we don't know what his role will be, but he's already begun training at the WWE Performance Center according to both Layfield and Cole.​

Details on the contract offer Jacksonville made for C Alex Mack:

- Five-year, $42,000,000 deal
- $18,000,000 fully guaranteed
- $26,000,000 guaranteed for injury
- Another $8,000,000 becomes fully guaranteed if on roster April 5, 2015
- No-trade provision for 2014-2015-2016
- 2014 base salary: $10,000,000
- 2015-2018 base salaries: $8,000,000 each year

Can Mack leave after 15? I know they cant tag him. Pretty sure thats the problem for Browns, but i can't see if Mack have the option to leave the team after 15 if he wants to.

There's also a player option after the 2015 season, but it doesn't kick in until after the time for franchising a player has past, which means that the team can't franchise him if he opts out.

Didnt take long for Browns to match Jaguars - Mack stays in Cleveland for now.

The Bengals signed former Texans DE Sam Montgomery. In 31 games at LSU he had 19 sacks and 32.5 tackles for a loss before being drafted in the third round by Houston last year. Houston released him and two other players on a road trip to Kansas City for violating team rules, which was rumored to be for smoking weed; he had been inactive in all seven games up to that point. After being released Oakland signed him to their practice squad, but they cut him just three days later.

Bengals take flyer on Sam Montgomery

The Bengals annual rite of seeking diamonds in the NFL scrap heap added a name Friday. The team signed defensive end Sam Montgomery, a 2013 third-round pick of the Houston Texans who was a two-time first team All-SEC player while at LSU. That team won the SEC title game before losing to Alabama in the national championship.

Coming out of LSU red flags were raised regarding his effort. At one point he admitted taking plays off and placing bets with teammate Barkevious Mingo. That was part of his slide down draft boards to No. 95 overall.

Cincinnati has taken chances on talented players with a history of lacking effort on and off the field before. Names like Derrick Harvey and Aaron Maybin have joined the team only to be cut early in camp. The low risk, high reward flyer comes in hopes of landing the next version of Vontaze Burfict, who rose from an epic fall out of the 2012 draft and and undrafted college free agent to the NFL's leading tackler in 2013.​

If the contract was signed for the minimum, I woud've taken a chance on him too.
Too bad that Bill didn't feel the same way.

It's pretty clear the pats are done with free agency, unless any good players get released from other teams between now and the start of the season. They have a lot of money ties up with brady and revis, not much room to maneuver.

where's the Chris Johnson to Jets signing?

New Jersey is a fine city??...I'm praying that they sign this guy.

Chris Johnson agrees to two-year deal with the Jets | espnNJ

Two-year deal reportedly worth $8,000,000, with another $1,000,0000 available in incentives based on yardage.

After a relatively conservative first month of free agency, the New York Jets made one of the splashiest moves of the offseason, reaching agreement with former Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson on a two-year contract.

New York finished sixth in rushing last season and has every running back returning in 2014, yet felt the need to add more speed. Johnson, 28, is one of the fastest backs in the league, although he's coming off a season in which he averaged a career-low 3.9 yards per carry.

Johnson's health is a question. He underwent surgery in late January to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee and resumed running only about a month ago. He said after the season that he first hurt his knee in Week 3. He didn't miss any games and became the fifth player in league history with 1,000 rushing yards in each of his first six seasons. Obviously, the Jets feel confident he will regain his explosiveness.

There's also a question about Johnson's role. He was a workhorse with Tennessee, averaging 290 carries per season, but he likely will have to accept a reduced role as part of a committee approach. The Jets' other veteran backs are Bilal Powell and Chris Ivory, who rushed for a team-high 833 yards. Ivory's power game should pair nicely with Johnson.​

While I don't think any of the moves individually are that great, the fact that the Jets have now signed a talented running back, a good wide receiver, and a decent quarterback, makes them intriguing. They always have a fair to good defense, so it makes sense they're trying to load up the offense. Just a question of whether all the pieces will fit together the way they hope (my early guess is no, they won't).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft