PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent Signings around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that Rex looks to be going back to his initial ground and pound/heavy D based approach with Jersey. Hopefully the Patriots will field a D capable of stuffing this mentality.

Is it narcissistic to wonder whether he's doing so because he thinks it will be our Patriot's greatest weakness. ;)

Beat the Patriots once in regular season... keep your job.

Last edited:
I see the Jets, Dolphins and Bills as plucky AFC East competitors who will be, more than anything, an annoyance to the Patriots. In terms of NFL rankings, they all look like middle of the road, swing a game either side of .500 teams.

It's interesting that Rex looks to be going back to his initial ground and pound/heavy D based approach with Jersey. Hopefully the Patriots will field a D capable of stuffing this mentality.

Yes, "annoyance" probably would have been a more appropriate word, but the comment was for those who tend to automatically consider our 6 games vs AFCE opponents victories before they're played.

As we know, we lost to both MIA and the NYJ last season, and had a very narrow victory at BUF as well, where they came back to win late in the 4th quarter by 2 points.

I would certainly assume a 4-2 record (at worst) vs our division, but I could see either one of MIA/NYJ contending for a wildcard spot late in the year.

Still get pissed every time I think about passing on Muhammad Wilkerson. I really thought that he was as close to an automatic choice that year as it could get. I'm not normally one to cry over spilled milk, but that move seems to stir something up for me.
Agreed it just seemed obvious

Is it narcissistic to wonder whether he's doing so because he thinks it will be our Patriot's greatest weakness. ;)

Beat the Patriots once in regular season... keep your job.
So it seems. From my observation, the Bills, Jets and Dolphins all place the target on the Patriots. The Patriots appear concerned with winning the AFC East first and foremost then the rest of the NFL. It's why they continue to do as well as they do. No opponent is given more credence than the one the Patriots play every week.

Still get pissed every time I think about passing on Muhammad Wilkerson. I really thought that he was as close to an automatic choice that year as it could get. I'm not normally one to cry over spilled milk, but that move seems to stir something up for me.
I agree with your response to me supa (regarding the annoyance). One thing I will begrudgingly admit is Rex has a knack for drafting very good Defensive Lineman. Most of us thought Wilkerson was a lock to the Patriots. Our lament has been the Jets gain. Who would have thought given their ability to suck.

I agree with your response to me supa (regarding the annoyance). One thing I will begrudgingly admit is Rex has a knack for drafting very good Defensive Lineman. Most of us thought Wilkerson was a lock to the Patriots. Our lament has been the Jets gain. Who would have thought given their ability to suck.

Well, Quinton Coples is turning into a bad selection for Rex when he could have had Chandler Jones instead who fits far better to how they are trying to use Coples and is far more of an impact player.

Also, Sederick Ellis has not lived up to expectations.

Wilkerson was a goldmine where they took him. Sheldon Richardson was a high first rounder. So he should have panned out.

Last edited:

We will find out this year if the Pats made a mistake passing on Wilkerson. Wilkerson didn't really become a special player until year three. The pick the Pats would have taken Wilkerson ended becoming Chandler Jones and Shane Vereen. Let's see if Jones jumps into elite status in his year three before we decide if they made a mistake.

Chris Johnson will get 1000 yards on 400 carries...Ivory will sit there and seethe...Dog Killer will start them off fast and get smashed before the mid point in the season leaving Gee No!!! to step into the broiler as de facto hand offer...

Well, Quinton Coples is turning into a bad selection for Rex when he could have had Chandler Jones instead who fits far better to how they are trying to use Coples and is far more of an impact player.

Also, Sederick Ellis has not lived up to expectations.

Wilkerson was a goldmine where they took him. Sheldon Richardson was a high first rounder. So he should have panned out.
It doesn't matter where you draft @Rob0729, the player still needs to pan out. The Jets are decent at selecting players on the DL. Fortunately, they can't scheme nor draft on O to save their lives.

It doesn't matter where you draft @Rob0729, the player still needs to pan out. The Jets are decent at selecting players on the DL. Fortunately, they can't scheme nor draft on O to save their lives.

IDK, they are two for three in the first round (I will not give them credit for the Gholston disaster which belows to the previous regime, but Richardson and Wilkerson were success and Coples is a disappointment) and Ofer in other rounds (although they did pick up a pretty good undrafted free agent two years ago in Damon Harrison). Kendrick Ellis is a JAG. So all in all they are either 2-2 or 3-2 in drafting DL under Ryan depending if you are going to count Harrison.

I would say decent is a good way to describe their ability to draft DL. Not great, but certainly not bad. Unfortunately for the Jets fans, it is the only area that they have anything more than rare success in drafting. They have had far more misses than hits in virtually every other area they have drafted.

@NFL_ATL: Report: Raiders to cut Pryor on Monday if no trade materializes http://t.co/54zu0hJfGR

This relates to the idea of drafting Logan Thomas late as a TE. Is Pryor worth a camp signing as an athlete/potential WR conversion?

Source says the current plan for Rolando McClain following reinstatement is to join Ravens as soon as Monday for start of offseason program

https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/457207229457133568

McClain's return didn't last very long.

Rolando McClain of Baltimore Ravens retires again - ESPN

Rolando McClain is walking away from the NFL again, this time for good.

On the day that the linebacker was due to report to the Baltimore ravens for the first day of the team's offseason workout program, he sent a text to ESPN.com saying, "I gotta follow my heart. It ain't football. If football made me complete I would play. But whenever I think of it my heart pulls me away from whatever reason. ... This means I'm done."

Last week the Ravens activated McClain, 24, off the reserve-retired list. Last year, after McClain had been released by the Oakland Raiders following a string of arrests, the Ravens signed him to a one-year contract worth the veteran minimum of $700,000.

McClain had not played football since the 2012 season and was no lock to make the Ravens' roster. He was reportedly late for a workout with team officials last week, which he later disputed. Left undisputed was that the workout did not go well. He reportedly failed a conditioning test and it would not have been surprising if the team had released him.

In college at Alabama, McClain won the Lambert award, given to the nation's best linebacker. The Raiders drafted him with the No. 8 overall pick in 2010.​

Seahawks acquired QB Terrelle Pryor from the Raiders for a seventh-round draft pick.
PFT

Seahawks acquired QB Terrelle Pryor from the Raiders for a seventh-round draft pick.
PFT

I can see why he'd be worth a late round 7th for the Seahawks. Not a bad move at all for that specific team.

Too funny. Was just asking my Cboys fan wife why DAL wasn't resigning him on a shortened deal, since no one else seemed to give a damn. Not more than an hour later they end up doing it.

Now I am beginning to think like Jerry Jones, so I fully advocate spending millions of dollars on marginal talent and moving up to draft idiots like Mo Clairborne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes