PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent Signings around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anytime you can hitch your wagon to a 30 year old QB who has never hit 90 QBR for a season, has never thrown for 30 TDs, is good for about one inexplicable pick per game, has only won one playoff game in his career, and was outperformed last year by his 34 year old journeyman backup, you gotta go for it. That's the guy who's going to take you to the promised land.

Generally, I think it's a bad sign when a QB is 30 and everyone's still talking about his potential. If you haven't hit your ceiling by then, you're not going to.

Well, the Bears have a razor thin chance of competing for the Super Bowl. The Raiders have less of a chance than my nephew's Pop Warner team of competing for the NFL Super Bowl.

Granted if winning was that important, he should have just taken much less and played for the Seahawks.

Evan Mathis supposedly available for trade. Maybe a 6th rounder would do it. I think he would be good. Need some cap space, ahem, cut Wilfork.

You want to trade a pick that could get you Bitonio, Marcus Martin, Travis Swanson, Richardson, etc. AND add 5 million to the cap for a 32-year-old guard?

No thanks.

He's the best guard in the league. Yes, I would add $5m to the cap in a heartbeat and give up a pick that's likely practice squad fodder.

He's the best guard in the league. Yes, I would add $5m to the cap in a heartbeat and give up a pick that's likely practice squad fodder.

But it isn't $5m, he's on the block because he wants a pay rise. A 3rd round pick is hardly "likely practice squad fodder", either.

But it isn't $5m, he's on the block because he wants a pay rise. A 3rd round pick is hardly "likely practice squad fodder", either.

That may very well be, Big-T. That's a big 10-4.

Actually, I read your post and did some reading on Mathis...and, yeah, you win.

I had no idea he was THAT good.

33 years old? No, thanks.

The poster I quoted suggested a 6th rounder was too much to pay. The Patriots have drafted seven trillion guys in the 6th round in the last decade and few make it.

That said, I don't think the Eagles would part with him for a 6th rounder. But if you could cut Wilfork and trade a 6th rounder for Mathis, you do it in a heartbeat. Like I said, he's the best guard in the league. The Patriots would instantly go from a middling offensive line when everyone's healthy to arguably the best in the NFL if they added Mathis.

@AdamSchefter: Former Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno reached agreement on a one-year deal with the Miami Dolphins, per league source.

The first RB domino falls for Blount Force Trauma/MJD.

Blount should be meeting with the Steelers today or tomorrow. Lets hope he comes to his senses.

Most people in the know say the Pats told Blount to go out and see his market and come back to them. I think they will have the right to match any offer. And no one is going to offer him a take it or leave it offer that he will have to sign immediately or it goes away.

If Moreno signed an one year deal, Blount ain't getting a good deal.

Cutler hasn't proven himself the way that "elite" QBs do, but he's certainly capable of slinging the ball around to Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffrey, and Martellus Bennett. Having Matt Forte as your bell-cow RB isn't a bad thing either.

Yup. Don't forget Joe Flacco won a SB last year.

Anyone else surprised the Broncos may roll with Ball, Hillman, and Anderson? That's a risky group of a RBs. Maybe they are a darkhorse team for Blount/MJD, although Blount wouldn't fit that offense at all.

They seem strangely content with losing a RB that touched the ball 300 times last year.

Anyone else surprised the Broncos may roll with Ball, Hillman, and Anderson? That's a risky group of a RBs. Maybe they are a darkhorse team for Blount/MJD, although Blount wouldn't fit that offense at all.

They seem strangely content with losing a RB that touched the ball 300 times last year.

On the surface it seems odd for sure. But RBs in a passing offense are a dime a dozen if I were a Denver fan I would have no problem with Ball and a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rd rookie.

As a Pats fan I am not even sure Blount is our best option. I might draft one in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th and start training him as both Vareen and Ridley are FAs next year and unless Vareen has a fully healthy year and Ridley fixes his fumbling problems I am not sure how much I would invest in their futures.

In no way am I giving up on both or either but I think we can better prepare ourselves for the future if our 3rd back was younger than Blount in case one of Vareen or Ridley fail.

Next free agency we are gonna bring back Danny Woodhead, that will give us another 3rd down back with great passing skills. That will work as insurance in case Vereen leaves.

The replacement or addition to Ridley though should join this year via draft.

imo riddley is on the outside looking in when it comes to the future of the patriots RB position. Unless he has a monster fumble free year hes going to be a free agent next year.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m
Maurice Jones-Drew is visiting the #Raiders tonight and tomorrow, per source. Wow. Could get serious.

There goes MJD.

From the Jags to the Raiders...yeesh.

imo riddley is on the outside looking in when it comes to the future of the patriots RB position. Unless he has a monster fumble free year hes going to be a free agent next year.

And put up over 1000 yards and 10 Tds.

I'll wait for the definition over the RB position to open a thread about that, what would like to be his goals for the next year to be one of the top FA's on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes