PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent Signings around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carrington to the Rams as well (source is lost somewhere in my twitter feed).

Had some interest in him.

Carrington to the Rams as well (source is lost somewhere in my twitter feed).

Had some interest in him.

Damn. We need talented youth on the DL, yet Bill lets another get away while Wilfork eats up
our remianing cap space, literally. Cut this guy already for feck's sake.

Jared Allen to the Bears on a 4 year deal according to Schefter. Wow!

At least it's not the 'Hawks.

So does this end the "Seahawk defense will be as good as the 85 Bears and 00 Ravens" talk?

And I guess this also ends the talk that Allen priority is to play for a contender to win a Super Bowl.

Allen was never a realistic possibility for the Pats knowing his asking price. Rather see him go to a fringe playoff contender in the NFC than a real playoff contender in the AFC.

So does this end the "Seahawk defense will be as good as the 85 Bears and 00 Ravens" talk?

And I guess this also ends the talk that Allen priority is to play for a contender to win a Super Bowl.

No, considering the 2013 version was on par with them.

They were nowhere on par with those teams. It was clearly the best defense of the NFL last year and probably the last few years, but nowhere near as good as the 85 Bears or 00 Ravens. Those two defenses are in a class all to themselves along with the 76 Steelers.

People forget how those defenses carried below average offenses (in Chicago's case) and awful offenses (in Baltimore's case). And they both played at times when defenses were allowed to play.

We will never ever see a defense on par with the 85 Bears or 00 Ravens the way the NFL is today. We may see individual performances in the playoffs on par like in the Super Bowl, but never over the course of the entire season.

I wouldn't even put this defense as the best defense of the over the last decade. I would argue the 2008 Steelers hold that title (they held the opponents to 13.9 PPG and an amazing 3.8 yards per play). The 2004 Steelers and 2003 Patriots have a shot at that title too although I would put the 2013 Seahawks ahead of them.

They were nowhere on par with those teams. It was clearly the best defense of the NFL last year and probably the last few years, but nowhere near as good as the 85 Bears or 00 Ravens. Those two defenses are in a class all to themselves along with the 76 Steelers.

People forget how those defenses carried below average offenses (in Chicago's case) and awful offenses (in Baltimore's case). And they both played at times when defenses were allowed to play.

We will never ever see a defense on par with the 85 Bears or 00 Ravens the way the NFL is today. We may see individual performances in the playoffs on par like in the Super Bowl, but never over the course of the entire season.

I wouldn't even put this defense as the best defense of the over the last decade. I would argue the 2008 Steelers hold that title (they held the opponents to 13.9 PPG and an amazing 3.8 yards per play). The 2004 Steelers and 2003 Patriots have a shot at that title too although I would put the 2013 Seahawks ahead of them.

I've never seen anything like the 85 Bears defense, and that includes the 00 Ravens (who would be 2nd). EVERY play seemed like a jailbreak.

Not even close. The Bears only gave up 198 pts. that year, 187 the next. Nowhere near the Ravens and even Titans in '01. Sea gave up 231 last year, more on par with '03 Pats (238). I know it's only one stat to throw out there, but IMHO it's the most important one. Games and championships aren't won by rankings in the NFL, that's reserved for college. There decided by the final score.

If you want to pump out a whole bunch of irrelevent stats to refute me, by all means. I still won't be convinced Seattle's '13 D was on par with the '85 Bears.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/bestNFLdefense.html

Not even close. The Bears only gave up 198 pts. that year, 187 the next. Nowhere near the Ravens and even Titans in '01. Sea gave up 231 last year, more on par with '03 Pats (238). I know it's only one stat to throw out there, but IMHO it's the most important one. Games and championships aren't won by rankings in the NFL, that's reserved for college. There decided by the final score.

If you want to pump out a whole bunch of irrelevent stats to refute me, by all means. I still won't be convinced Seattle's '13 D was on par with the '85 Bears.

ESPN.com - Page2 - The List: Best NFL defense of all-time

Ok, so I can't even state my case?

2013 Seahawks: 14.4 ppg (1st), 273.6ypg (1st)
2013 Bears: 12.4 ppg (1st), 258.5ypg (1st)

2013 Seahawks: 63.4 opposing passer rating, in the pass happy fantasy football goodell era where the average qbr is 88!

The 85 Bears played in a time when the average offense scored 2-4ppg less and quarterbacks had qbrs 8-10 points less. The #1 offense in the NFL tore apart the 85 Bears in the regular season (the fish). The Seahawks destroyed the Broncos with the best superbowl performance of all time.

To say they "aren't even close" is just disingenuous. When you factor in the eras they played in, they are easily on par with each other.

Also, the 2008 Steelers? Please. The defense that let Kurt Warner throw 400 yards on them and Matt Cassel would of had a solid day if Moss didn't have stone hands in the regular season game.

Same thing I said when I first saw the news as well. Allen on that DL would be borderline unfair.

I've never seen anything like the 85 Bears defense, and that includes the 00 Ravens (who would be 2nd). EVERY play seemed like a jailbreak.

I think it's very difficult to compare defenses from different generations, particularly with the more pass-oriented league and rules favoring the offenses. The 3 best defenses I've ever seen were the '76 Steelers, '86 Bears and 2000 Ravens, all of which preceded those eras. The Steelers and Bears didn't have to deal with the salary cap and free agency in terms of maintaining player continuity across years. They were allowed to get away with things that wouldn't fly today.

I think that this Seattle defense and the 2008 Steelers' defense are the best defenses I've seen since the Ravens in 2000, and belong in the discussion of legitimate "great" defenses. That's enough for me. It will be interesting to see if the Seahawks can keep enough of a nucleus together to put together a multi-year run, which would only increase the rarity of what they have achieved.

Same thing I said when I first saw the news as well. Allen on that DL would be borderline unfair.

Allen's good, but at 32 he's not worth what the Bears will be paying. They re-set the clock back two years and put themselves in the same spot they were in with Peppers. Good replacement, but not a long-term solution.

Allen's good, but at 32 he's not worth what the Bears will be paying. They re-set the clock back two years and put themselves in the same spot they were in with Peppers. Good replacement, but not a long-term solution.

Peppers goes from Chicago to GB. Allen goes from Minny to Chicago. It's the NFC North's version of musical chairs.

4/$32M with $15.5M guaranteed? No, thanks.

Ok, so I can't even state my case?

2013 Seahawks: 14.4 ppg (1st), 273.6ypg (1st)
2013 Bears: 12.4 ppg (1st), 258.5ypg (1st)

2013 Seahawks: 63.4 opposing passer rating, in the pass happy fantasy football goodell era where the average qbr is 88!

The 85 Bears played in a time when the average offense scored 2-4ppg less and quarterbacks had qbrs 8-10 points less. The #1 offense in the NFL tore apart the 85 Bears in the regular season (the fish). The Seahawks destroyed the Broncos with the best superbowl performance of all time.

To say they "aren't even close" is just disingenuous. When you factor in the eras they played in, they are easily on par with each other.

Also, the 2008 Steelers? Please. The defense that let Kurt Warner throw 400 yards on them and Matt Cassel would of had a solid day if Moss didn't have stone hands in the regular season game.

I am assuming you are too young to see the 85 Bears defense play. If you did, you wouldn't be making this argument. That defense literally went on a two month stretch where they gave up only two offensive TDs in seven games (and one was a trick play with James Lofton throwing a TD pass). Also during that stretch, the Bears' DEFENSE scored 29 points (three pick sixes and three safeties) while opposing offenses combined to score 31 points in seven games. That is something the Seahawks didn't even come close to.

And why do you look at individual games to judge a season? Yes, the 2008 Steelers did give up a lot of yards (only 20 points) in the Super Bowl, but they were awesome the entire year.

And when did Kurt Warner become a scrub? You do realize that Warner passed for 4,583 yards and 30 TDs in the 2008 season? You do realize that Warner and the Cards had the #2 ranked passing offense that year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes