PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agency - Week Two has ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Free Agency - Week Two has started

Final 8 rule

The rule will restrict the final eight teams in the playoffs from signing free agents. The final four teams shall not be permitted to negotiate and sign any unrestricted free agent to a player contract except for players who acquired their status by being cut or were on the final four team when their contract expired. Playoff teams five thru eight get a break to sign one player with a salary of $4,925,000 or more and any number of players with a first-year salary of no more than $3,275,000 and an annual increase of no more than 30 percent in the following years. There is a mechanism to permit the final eight teams to sign an unrestricted free agent for each one of their own unrestricted free agents who sign with another club as long as they don't spend more than what their own lost player received from his new club

2010: An uncapped year odyssey

Plus, players who are CUT are not UFAs and anyone can sign them.

I gotta go eat......

We are not a final 8 team.... I was under that impression.

Are we a final 8 team? Am I wrong?

The Patriots did nothing but sign their own players, which was something that should have been done long before. Giving them credit for this is like giving a 35 year old healthy adult with an above average I.Q. credit for remembering to pee in the toilet instead of his pants.
I agree, signing your own playing doesn't make you any better. These signings are expected. That's great that the Pats signed their own players, but they have to improve their team. They have not gotten any better by re-signing their own. Because this draft is so hyped up to be deep, the Pats need to ace it or it will set them back big time. I will go as far to say that if the Pats can't find one impact player in this draft that starts week one on either side of the ball, they will not win another super bowl with Brady as their QB.

Last edited:

I gotta go eat......

We are not a final 8 team.... I was under that impression.

Are we a final 8 team? Am I wrong?

No, the Pats were NOT a final 8 team. The discussion was referring to the Jets and Brandon Marshall.

The Patriots did nothing but sign their own players, which was something that should have been done long before. Giving them credit for this is like giving a 35 year old healthy adult with an above average I.Q. credit for remembering to pee in the toilet instead of his pants.

It wouldn't have been prudent of the Pats to sign their own players long before because of the uncertain status of the CBA. Capped vs. uncapped would could have made a big difference in what kind of contract to offer players.

And I hope your "credit for remembering to pee in the toilet" was hyperbole. Locking up four major contributors of last year's team was no mean feat. Besides Chicago and Detroit, who has made more moves since the FA period began?

It wouldn't have been prudent of the Pats to sign their own players long before because of the uncertain status of the CBA. Capped vs. uncapped would could have made a big difference in what kind of contract to offer players.

And I hope your "credit for remembering to pee in the toilet" was hyperbole. Locking up four major contributors of last year's team was no mean feat. Besides Chicago and Detroit, who has made more moves since the FA period began?

You are crediting the team with such amazing signings as TBC, who signed a deal during the season, before it was nixed, and who knows that he failed in S.F. after leaving N.E. the firts time, along with Kevin Faulk, who wasn't even listening to other offers and came back for a simple salary agreement, and Vince Wilfork, who was already franchised.

Look, the reality is that the Patriots made one signing of even questionable difficulty, and that was Bodden. He was only a signing of that sort because he's the player who was on a one year "prove it" contract, and we didn't know if he meant it when he talked about wanting to stay in N.E..

Great, the Patriots kept some of their own free agents, after needlessly allowing them to get to free agent status in the first place. Why the hell should they get a cookie for that? Do you congratulate yourself for adding oil to your car after you were the one who let the oil level get low enough for the light to go on in the first place?

Last edited:

What a strange analogy!

So, if Bodden had signed elsewhere, and we had signed someone else as good, then we would have really done something important and taken a step forward??????

Great, the Patriots kept some of their own free agents, after needlessly allowing them to get to free agent status in the first place. Why the hell should they get a cookie for that? Do you congratulate yourself for adding oil to your car after you were the one who let the oil level get low enough for the light to go on in the first place?

You are crediting the team with such amazing signings as TBC, who signed a deal during the season, before it was nixed, and who knows that he failed in S.F. after leaving N.E. the firts time, along with Kevin Faulk, who wasn't even listening to other offers and came back for a simple salary agreement, and Vince Wilfork, who was already franchised.

Look, the reality is that the Patriots made one signing of even questionable difficulty, and that was Bodden. He was only a signing of that sort because he's the player who was on a one year "prove it" contract, and we didn't know if he meant it when he talked about wanting to stay in N.E..

They signed Wilfork to a long term contract 11 days after putting the tag on him. You can't discount that - how many teams have been able to do the same thing? I don't know how you can't call that a signing of questionable difficulty. They could have just let him play out the year on the tag.

Again I point the uncertain status of the CBA being a factor in these signings. You say they needlessly allowed them to get to FA status when instead it looks like they allowed the FAs to get that far so they could take advantage of a uncapped year by signing front loaded contracts.

In reality, as soon as the Pats noticed the oil was low, they drained the remainder of the old oil, changed the filter, and put a brand new, more efficient type of oil in the car. And I'll give them a cookie for that.

Last edited:

To continue with this analogy ... the FO can have their cookie, but when they are done eating it they need to get back to work, because the car still is not running right.

Last edited:

They signed Wilfork to a long term contract 11 days after putting the tag on him. You can't discount that - how many teams have been able to do the same thing? I don't know how you can't call that a signing of questionable difficulty. They could have just let him play out the year on the tag.

Why can't I? By their own statement, they were close to a deal and used the tag to keep working on it. So we should sing their songs for finally getting the deal done, a year late, and after the start of free agency?

Again I point the uncertain status of the CBA being a factor in these signings. You say they needlessly allowed them to get to FA status when instead it looks like they allowed the FAs to get that far so they could take advantage of a uncapped year by signing front loaded contracts.

Kevin Faulk's one year contract needed to be front loaded?

In reality, as soon as the Pats noticed the oil was low, they drained the remainder of the old oil, changed the filter, and put a brand new, more efficient type of oil in the car. And I'll give them a cookie for that.

It's the same players. Using the analogy, they let the oil drain out of the car, and then turned around and put the same oil back in the car. They signed a player to battle for a special teams spot, so that's like cleaning off the dipstick when checking the oil level. Again, you people are talking about rewarding a team for doing what should have been done months ago.

To continue with this analogy ... the FO can have their cookie, but when they are done eating it they need to get back to work, because the car still is running right.

So you didn't watch the team play last season, then.......

What a strange analogy!

So, if Bodden had signed elsewhere, and we had signed someone else as good, then we would have really done something important and taken a step forward??????

I'm not sure what parts of "kept their own players" you seem to be struggling with here this evening. Do you expect to be rewarded for every day your wife/girlfriend doesn't divorce/leave you?

I'm not sure what parts of "kept their own players" you seem to be struggling with here this evening. Do you expect to be rewarded for every day your wife/girlfriend doesn't divorce/leave you?
Deus, I'm with ya. People are having a hard time understanding this concept.

Why can't I? By their own statement, they were close to a deal and used the tag to keep working on it. So we should sing their songs for finally getting the deal done, a year late, and after the start of free agency?

If I bring up the capped vs. uncapped issue one more time, will you address it?

Kevin Faulk's one year contract needed to be front loaded?

I was obviously talking about the multi-year deals Deus so that comment is just plain asinine.

It's the same players. Using the analogy, they let the oil drain out of the car, and then turned around and put the same oil back in the car. They signed a player to battle for a special teams spot, so that's like cleaning off the dipstick when checking the oil level. Again, you people are talking about rewarding a team for doing what should have been done months ago.

And again you are ignoring the uncertainty of an uncapped vs. capped 2010 season. If the FO knew the status of the CBA in January, who's to say all these guys wouldn't have been signed in February?

I don't know mgteich personally, but I'm pretty sure he would be happy if she didn't leave him when her contract was up.

Crumpler is the man for Week 2. I guess he is our replacement for Watson. We still need another TE, as as part of replacing the remaining six.

THOMAS
BAKER
BURGESS
GREEN
WELKER
HANSON

I expect another TE or WR this 3rd week.

========================================
I expect a WR or a TE this week.
==================================
We had a GREAT week one, re-signing our own.
===================================
We still need to re-sign or replace or upgrade for these SEVEN positions
WATSON
THOMAS
BAKER
BURGESS
GREEN
WELKER (actually we need a #2; Edelman replaces Welker in the slot)
HANSON
===================================
There may be many more opportunities to upgrade or bring in camp competition, but these seven NEED action.
==============

Crumpler is the man for Week 2. I guess he is our replacement for Watson. We still need another TE, as as part of replacing the remaining six.

THOMAS
BAKER
BURGESS
GREEN
WELKER
HANSON

Patten doesn't count? :)

:) Are you asking whether Patten counts as a replacement for Welker?

Yes, Patten counts as
1) competition with Stanback for the #5 WR position.
2) competition with Tate for the #4 WR position, in case Tate isn't ready to be #4 immediately (and be the backup for Moss and the #2 WR.
3) general camp competition and insurance against injury.
==========================================

I am fine with Slater and Aiken being the #6 and #7 WR/STer, if they even makes the team.

Patten doesn't count? :)

THOMAS
BAKER
BURGESS
GREEN
WELKER
HANSON

I sincerely hope that Crumpler is the replacement for Baker rather than for Watson.

I sincerely hope that Crumpler is the replacement for Baker rather than for Watson.

Sounds like he's big enough to replace both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL RECAP
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft