PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Freddie Roach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slagathor

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of folks on here mentioning how Roach is having a good camp and I haven't read any specifics.

He was darkhorse for me going into camp.

How's he holding up? Does he look like a sure thing or is it too soon to tell?

I've heard the opposite from Casale:

http://www.patriots.com/search/inde...0322&pcid=44&special_section=trainingcamp2006

Linebacker Freddie Roach continues to struggle, not reading plays well and filling the wrong holes.

http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=19877&pcid=41

Roach had two knee injuries in college, which pushed him down the draft boards. He looked a little slow moving laterally in mini-camp, but with a strong training camp, he has a shot for the practice squad as well.

And "I'm Ron Borges?" offered up a similar opinion:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=38380&highlight=roach

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Putting Alexander and Roach in the same category is crazy. Alexander is in his third year in the system and has lined up with the second-team defense so far. Roach is an undrafted free agent who has barely stepped on the field yet in training camp. I've been to three practices and haven't seen him out there once. Just because you know the name "Freddie Roach" doesn't mean he has a chance to make the team. From what I've seen so far, he's even behind Corey Mays, who you didn't even mention. Alexander is way ahead of Roach at this point.

Quite frankly, I agree. When I was at practice, Roach looked to be behind Gardner, Izzo, Davis, Beisel, Bruschi, Alexander, and even Mays on the ILB depth chart.

It seems to me that Roach, Britt, and Stone are definitely getting overhyped by some around here (Stop the presses! Pats1 said something negative!). Just because BB has kept an UDFA on the roster the last 2 years doesn't mean he'll keep one this year. Just because Roach received a signing bonus doesn't mean he's ahead of the rest of the UDFA pack. I don't follow college football that much at all and don't recognize 90% of the draftees' names, but it sounded like everybody else on the board knew his name well and thought of him as the next Gay or Wright. Many are throwing them on the team just because "youth is needed at LB." It just isn't that simple.

With Britt, he was cut by the Chargers but is suddenly now a near-lock to make the team by some, even "starting quality." He may have gotten injured, but let's wait until he actually plays a down in the NFL before we start proclaming his greatness. He has an uphill battle to climb to make the roster.

John Stone faces a similar situation, as fans are reading into him starting with the first team when Brown, Jackson, and Branch were out. By a process of elimination with the other WRs vying for the last WR spot, he seems to always get the nod in roster predictions.

Undrafted rookies or street free agents like Stone or Britt have to be spectacular during camp to make the roster. BB will take the best 53 he has, and not say "OK, we need a #6 WR," and pick from a mediocre group.

Last edited:
Easy on Big Freddie, please. BB still is in the process of working his miracle on Roach, so a little patience may be required.

One of the most recent Patsfan.com reports muttered about Roach hitting the wrong holes and looking bad, but they also reported BB stayed after practice to work with Gardner and Roach on something, then left them working on a specific drill together...teaching, it's fundamental.

From my views hes slow but everyone knew that about him coming in. What he looks good at is his ability to tackle and find the running back. He's bad at moving side to side and being the Roman Phifer type player in coverage.

He still looks very good for an UDRFA you cant expect the guy to be flawless hes a work in progress.

SeanBruschi54 said:
From my views hes slow but everyone knew that about him coming in. What he looks good at is his ability to tackle and find the running back. He's bad at moving side to side and being the Roman Phifer type player in coverage.

He still looks very good for an UDRFA you cant expect the guy to be flawless hes a work in progress.

Seems to me Roach is the exact same guy coming in. We all knew he's a good ball player, he just is slow. Hmm...I think this whole season and next offseason would be a great time for Roach to start running with weight on his legs and squatting more. Lets get that speed up Freddie.

Does anyone hear anything on how Tully Banta-Cain has been doing? If he could contribute (which he seemed to a lot in the 2004/05 playoffs -- just look for #48 on "Three Games to Glory III"), that would make a huge difference. Vrabel could move back inside (which might actually help him prolong his career as any loss of speed would be less of a problem). What about Eric Alexander -- I seem to be reading a lot of his name in various contexts, but where has he been the last few years?

Last edited by a moderator:
FourInSixYears said:
Does anyone hear anything on how Tully Banta-Cain has been doing? If he could contribute (which he seemed to a lot in the 2004/05 playoffs -- just look for #48 on "Three Games to Glory III"), that would make a huge difference. Vrabel could move back inside (which might actually help him prolong his career as any loss of speed would be less of a problem). What about Eric Alexander -- I seem to be reading a lot of his name in various contexts, but where has he been the last few years?

Horrible. Every sinlg eperson, reporter, etc. has said nothing but bad things about him this TC.

FourInSixYears said:
TBC is doing mostly ST work and playing on third and second team D's. Nothing special probably not where he should be from a coachs POV.

Alexander was on the PS the last two years. He either makes the team or is released.

This team needs a young Ted Johnson very, very badly. Unfortunately, it appears as if that man is not currently on the TC roster.
Vrabel could be that man, but who then steps into his OLB spot?
We need one more player...somehow...somewhere...
Donnie Edwards at the right price, i.e., restructured contract, conditional 2nd day pick, would be welcome; his skill set more closely resembles Bruschi's, not TJ's, however.

Last edited:
captain stone said:
This team needs a young Ted Johnson very, very badly. Unfortunately, it appears as if that man is not currently on the TC roster.
Donnie Edwards at the right price, i.e., restructured contract, conditional 2nd day pick, would be welcome; his skill set more closely resembles Bruschi's, not TJ's, however.

Oh yeah completely agree. We needed either a high round pick or developmental ILB for a few years now.
I feel the real problem is in the college ranks. Few inside linebakcers in college carry the bulk needed to take on guards. Most of the good young inside linebackers like Vilma and Tatupu are just too small to play in our system. And converting OLB's to the inside is always risky.

Last edited:
****Warning bad joke of the day****

Heard he got smoked on a few plays today:rolleyes: .

Last edited by a moderator:
Either my faith is being severely tested or the Pats are looking at one more pickup, (Jeff Posey?).

Teaching is fine, but you still can't make chicken salad out of you know what.

captain stone said:
This teams Ted Johnson is Monty Beisel. Big tackling hitting player just cant cover for the life of him.

Jeff Posey at OLB would be a servicable addition.

SeanBruschi54 said:
This teams Ted Johnson is Monty Beisel. Big tackling hitting player just cant cover for the life of him.

Ted Johnson was excellent at reading guards, pickin a gap and bulling straight ahead. Plus he could really take on guards at the point of attack.

Monty Beisel, as probably been discussed over and over, lacks any instinct at ILB. He is by far one of the slowest reacting LB's I've seen. On a lot of plays I've seen he is usually a second or two behind all 21 other players on the field. Because he is slow to react, guards get into his body or his angles are horrible. I do not think these instincts are taught and Beisel will not be someone we can live with at ILB for long.

Did Beisel ever play ILB before he got here? I know he played on the outside with the Chiefs and DE at Kansas St.

Last edited:
SeanBruschi54 said:

Jeff Posey at OLB would be a servicable addition.

I wasn't a huge Johnson fan, but even Lloyd Bentsen knows Beisel is no Ted Johnson.:D

Ichiro said:
Ted Johnson was excellent at reading guards, pickin a gap and bulling straight ahead. Plus he could really take on guards at the point of attack.

Monty Beisel, as probably been discussed over and over, lacks any instinct at ILB. He is by far one of the slowest reacting LB's I've seen. On a lot of plays I've seen he is usually a second or two behind all 21 other players on the field. Because he is slow to react, guards get into his body or his angles are horrible. I do not think these instincts are taught and Beisel will not be someone we can live with at ILB for long.

Did Beisel ever play ILB before he got here? I know he played on the outside with the Chiefs and DE at Kansas St.
Beisels big thing last year was not being able to shed blocks and not knowing where he was supposed to be. Apparently hes put close to 8 pounds of muscle on to help shed blockers and has a better uderstanding of the system.

Beisel played the line in KC.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Beisels big thing last year was not being able to shed blocks and not knowing where he was supposed to be. Apparently hes put close to 8 pounds of muscle on to help shed blockers and has a better uderstanding of the system.

Beisel played the line in KC.

What I can't figure out, is how did Monty play at close to 270 at Kansas St.?
I could take a guess, I suppose.

PatsRI said:
****Warning bad joke of the day****

Heard he got smoked on a few plays today:rolleyes: .

Yeah - by Jonathan Sullivan no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes