PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Franchise Tags- Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots made Logan Mankins a market-value contract offer earlier this off-season. The offer would have made him the third highest paid offensive guard in the NFL.
Is it quibbling to point out that you do not know the details of the alleged contract or even when it was to start. If you believe that you know the structure of the contract or its starting point, you are deluding yourself.
The Mankins’ camp clearly believes that anything short of the seven-year, $56.7 million contract that Jahri Evans got from the Saints is insulting.
This is your fantasy. If you can support it by quotes from Mankins's agent, do so.

Last edited:
My only problem with Vollmer is after he returned from his concussion his play has dipped for some reason. He looked like a star LT before the concussion.
Now this year Crumpler always lines next to him or they keep gronk next to him.Last year we saw teams go after him and get some success. This year crumpler and gronk help him a lot.

Light looks bad 1 or 2 plays a game and in most is all alone as the protection is sliding right to help vollmer.light is a very good LT. i can actually see him going to the Colts as man after tarik they have struggled alot with that position.

So IF vollmer goes back to his pre concussion self i will be thrilled for now or if kazur can hold the RT then we can slide the protection left to help him like this year.His footwork has struggled alot this year and crumpler has to held down to help him.

Agreed with most of this. Good observations.

I have also seen Crump and Gronk help out Vollmer more than Light. However I would contend that it is not to help Vollmer with pass protection b/c of his concussion rather than running behind Vollmer and Crump gives BJGE and the running game a better chance of success.

So, the CBA ends on or about March 1st with the union having de-certified a week before. And you think that games will go on pending appeals??????? First, the suits and injunctions will be in place. After all, Congress will not allow the nfl owners to collude.

It's not what I think mg. Anymore than it's about what you think :rolleyes:

It is what it is, it's what happened the last time ('89-93) and it's what all the people who have researched that strategy including DeMaurice Smith believe... Try reading some of the articles about it which started back in September after the agent who got the players to add his hat into the ring before Smith was elected laid it all out in his piece on why a lockout would not happen - because the union had the means to circumvent it and on some level as an alternative it actually worked for everyone kind of like a rolling bridge to the next CBA that allowed everyone to save face with their constituency (the union because players would be hurt less absent a work stoppage and probably net more (or lose less) in time and owners because they would not face the public wrath over a lockout while operating on their own more favorable terms for a couple of seasons before then getting many if not all the changes they desired in an ultimately compromised negotiated settlement with a newly formed union - just like what happened the last time).

I thought this was kind of interesting, of course we are missing some of the context but it looks like Light is prepared to move on.
This may be time to act on Mankins - The Boston Globe

"Asked if he would be disappointed if he had to hit free agency, Light said, “I’ll be playing somewhere next year.’’

Is it quibbling to point out that you do not know the details of the alleged contract or even when it was to start. If you believe that you know the structure of the contract or its starting point, you are deluding yourself.
This is your fantasy. If you can support it by quotes from Mankins's agent, do so.

Those quotes were of a news article, not my words.

I don't have to know all the details to know it's an unsatisfactory contract from his point of view. His behavior reveals what he thought of their offer. Using words like "liar" means that he feels like he wasn't dealt with fairly. That's what most people would conclude. Make your own conclusions though. He loves the contract offer. Thinks it was dandy.

I thought this was kind of interesting, of course we are missing some of the context but it looks like Light is prepared to move on.

"Asked if he would be disappointed if he had to hit free agency, Light said, “I’ll be playing somewhere next year.’’

Maybe he'll get his payday. Pats certainly want him to be happy, he's a great Patriot. He won't play anywhere but LT here, and I think they need to find out if Vollmer is their LT of the future.

The article states that teams have until 4pm on Saturday to extend current contracts and front load them into the uncapped year. I still have a funny feeling that Logan came back because the Pats knew that Neal was hurting and they gave him a new contract. Think about it, BB couldn't have been more effusive about Mankin's play (and rightly so) at his preser yesterday. Would BB put that out there if he didn't have him sign long term already? Maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part, but I think that the Pats and Mankins came to an agreement a few weeks ago and they are just waiting to announce it. Mankins has been interviewed many times since he has come back and has not said a word about his contract situation, wouldn't have been in his best interest to at least meniton it? We will see by 4pm on Saturday, if we don't hear anything by then, I was wrong. It just makes sense, the guy is playing his butt off, deserves the money, and signing him long term, would just make alot of sense for the Patriots (much like getting Vince and Brady re-signed was a must) I think re-signing Mankins is a no-brainer, and hopefully it has already been accomplished.

Last edited:
I don't have to know all the details to know it's an unsatisfactory contract from his point of view. His behavior reveals what he thought of their offer. Using words like "liar" means that he feels like he wasn't dealt with fairly.
Finally, you are restricting yourself to saying things that we actually know. In discussions of Mankins's contract situation, that is quite rare.

I am in complete agreement with the quote above. The quote, however, contains just about everything that we do know. Discussions about Mankins's contract would be much more intelligent if more people understood just how little we actually know.

My guess is that the major issue was not the amount of the contract but whether it started in 2010 or 2011. I believe that explanation fits what Mankins actually said, and what Mankins did not say, better than any other explanation that I have heard heard.

Finally, you are restricting yourself to saying things that we actually know. In discussions of Mankins's contract situation, that is quite rare.

I am in complete agreement with the quote above. The quote, however, contains just about everything that we do know. Discussions about Mankins's contract would be much more intelligent if more people understood just how little we actually know.

My guess is that the major issue was not the amount of the contract but whether it started in 2010 or 2011. I believe that explanation fits what Mankins actually said, and what Mankins did not say, better than any other explanation that I have heard heard.

maybe you're right. Maybe it wasn't theamount but the timing and how it was structured, etc.

Light's the best tackle on the team, and he's approaching his final payday. I'm sure he wants to get good value for his services, and that might mean that he'll be playing elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back