PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3-game review: offensive line

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So I think a lot of us agreed going into the season that offensive line was the biggest long-term question mark on this team. Through three games, I think we've seen enough to at least form some kind of an impression, though obviously it'll remain a work in progress. For a quick overview, I think it's good to check out this tweet from Jeff Howe:

So... we've good some good news and bad news. The good news is that Solder looks like he's not only all the way back, but playing at his peak level from Scarnecchia's first stint. He looks like an offensive foundation type player, rather than just an adequate left tackle like he looked under DeGuglielmo. Through three games, he hasn't screwed up, and has delivered some punishing blocks along the way.

Unfortunately, that good news comes with bad news, and the bad news is Marcus Cannon. Just from watching the games I thought he'd been pretty bad so far, but Howe's tweet is pretty sobering re: exactly how bad. I don't think he's as bad as those numbers indicate, but he has been bad, and IMO he is the weak link in this offense right now. I hope he improves in the coming weeks, and he's probably awaiting Brady's return more eagerly than anyone, but I'm not exactly counting on it. Hopefully Vollmer can beat the odds and be ready late in the season, and if so this could maybe even be a blessing in disguise if it gets him into the playoffs healthy.

On the interior, Thuney looks like the real deal. I'm more excited about him than I've been of any C/G prospect since Mankins; it looks like the Pats got an absolute steal with him, even with the expected rookie miscues that have come along the way. The platoon at RG has been credible, but I'm hopeful that Cooper getting back on the field might raise the level of play there and make the Pats a little more effective at running to the right. I haven't checked the stats so I could be way off base here and suffering from a case of confirmation bias, but it seems like the big runs have all gone to the left, behind Thuney and Solder.

So I think a lot of us agreed going into the season that offensive line was the biggest long-term question mark on this team. Through three games, I think we've seen enough to at least form some kind of an impression, though obviously it'll remain a work in progress. For a quick overview, I think it's good to check out this tweet from Jeff Howe:

So... we've good some good news and bad news. The good news is that Solder looks like he's not only all the way back, but playing at his peak level from Scarnecchia's first stint. He looks like an offensive foundation type player, rather than just an adequate left tackle like he looked under DeGuglielmo. Through three games, he hasn't screwed up, and has delivered some punishing blocks along the way.

Unfortunately, that good news comes with bad news, and the bad news is Marcus Cannon. Just from watching the games I thought he'd been pretty bad so far, but Howe's tweet is pretty sobering re: exactly how bad. I think it can be reasonably said that he's the offense's weak link right now, and while I hope he improves I'm not exactly counting on it. Hopefully Vollmer can beat the odds and be ready late in the season, and if so this could maybe even be a blessing in disguise if it gets him into the playoffs healthy.

On the interior, Thuney looks like the real deal. I'm more excited about him than I've been of any C/G prospect since Mankins; it looks like the Pats got an absolute steal with him, even with the expected rookie miscues that have come along the way. The platoon at RG has been credible, but I'm hopeful that Cooper getting back on the field might raise the level of play there and make the Pats a little more effective at running to the right. I haven't checked the stats so I could be way off base here and suffering from a case of confirmation bias, but it seems like the big runs have all gone to the left, behind Thuney and Solder.

Great post.

Solder is playing incredibly well however he allowed a couple of hits vs AZ. He should be on the list.

Thuney has also been very good.

I'm not sold on Shaq but hes been ok.

Andrews has been ok

Cannon...ugh. He hasn't been abysmal but.....it is what it is.

I think these numbers are really misleading, and somewhat silly without knowing the blocking scheme or gameplan. Cannon did a very solid job last night against JJ Watt. He's absolutely a starter-level RT in this league. Could he be better? Absolutely. But let's wait a while to see how he does with Scar back. I think he'll be just fine.

This is a weird time for a Cannon hate thread. He's been fine for two weeks. He was not fine week 1.

Week 1: 2 sacks, hit, pressure, hold
Week 2: hit, pressure, hold
Week 3: hit, pressure

December 18 the oline will take the von Miller test. I know it's 2months away, but mark that down as a harbinger for how the playoffs (wood knock) will pan out. There's going to be a lot of changes between now and then (guys figuring it out/melding together, scar tinkering,Brady back).

Cannon isn't a ideal RT, but I've actually been encouraged so far.

One thing that struck me....in the past when scar was oline coach, we were (I was) constantly frustrated with the state of the running game most years. By comparison, our oline is owning it this year.

Unfortunately, that good news comes with bad news, and the bad news is Marcus Cannon. Just from watching the games I thought he'd been pretty bad so far, but Howe's tweet is pretty sobering re: exactly how bad. I don't think he's as bad as those numbers indicate, but he has been bad, and IMO he is the weak link in this offense right now. I hope he improves in the coming weeks, and he's probably awaiting Brady's return more eagerly than anyone, but I'm not exactly counting on it. Hopefully Vollmer can beat the odds and be ready late in the season, and if so this could maybe even be a blessing in disguise if it gets him into the playoffs healthy.

On the int erior, Thuney looks like the real deal. I'm more excited about him than I've been of any C/G prospect since Mankins; it looks like the Pats got an absolute steal with him, even with the expected rookie miscues that have come along the way. The platoon at RG has been credible, but I'm hopeful that Cooper getting back on the field might raise the level of play there and make the Pats a little more effective at running to the right. I haven't checked the stats so I could be way off base here and suffering from a case of confirmation bias, but it seems like the big runs have all gone to the left, behind Thuney and Solder.
So I guess you are NEVER going to get off your "thing" for Marcus Cannon regardless of what a lot more intelligent analysts are saying.

For example let's look at where you are going for your information. Jeff Howe. :rolleyes: the official assigner of blame for the Boston Herald. These are the same people who gave us spygate, Felgar and Borges. Do you know exactly how he makes his judgements. Has he ever given where he even gets his info. It's not the coaches tapes that's for sure.

But let's assume his numbers ARE correct. The Pats have run approximately 2oo offensive plays this season so far. Only 87 have been passes. So assuming Cannon has given up 2 sacks this season, and that is a big assumption. He has been successful at protecting his QB 98 percent of the time. If we want to be even stricter and add the 3 QB hits Howe subscribes to Cannon, that would be an additional 3% failure rate. So given he's had to face, the 2nd best (at worst) pass rusher each game these 3 teams had to offer, 95% of the time Cannon has kept his QB from being hit or sacked.

BTW- The Pats have given up 5 sacks this season in 3 games. There are 13 other teams who have allowed 5 or more sack in JUST two games.

I would think that your "eyeball" assessment of Cannon's performance based on this information is pretty ridiculous, especially when so many "experts" have said Cannon has played so well. You have to wonder if there is another agenda here?

So I guess you are NEVER going to get off your "thing" for Marcus Cannon regardless of what a lot more intelligent analysts are saying.

For example let's look at where you are going for your information. Jeff Howe. :rolleyes: the official assigner of blame for the Boston Herald. These are the same people who gave us spygate, Felgar and Borges. Do you know exactly how he makes his judgements. Has he ever given where he even gets his info. It's not the coaches tapes that's for sure.

But let's assume his numbers ARE correct. The Pats have run approximately 2oo offensive plays this season so far. Only 87 have been passes. So assuming Cannon has given up 2 sacks this season, and that is a big assumption. He has been successful at protecting his QB 98 percent of the time. If we want to be even stricter and add the 3 QB hits Howe subscribes to Cannon, that would be an additional 3% failure rate. So given he's had to face, the 2nd best (at worst) pass rusher each game these 3 teams had to offer, 95% of the time Cannon has kept his QB from being hit or sacked.

BTW- The Pats have given up 5 sacks this season in 3 games. There are 13 other teams who have allowed 5 or more sack in JUST two games.

I would think that your "eyeball" assessment of Cannon's performance based on this information is pretty ridiculous, especially when so many "experts" have said Cannon has played so well. You have to wonder if there is another agenda here?

All-caps declaration, sarcastic quotes, implying I have an agenda for some reason, declaring a source non-credible while alluding vaguely to experts that allegedly support your case. And lastly, trying to shift the goalposts to the point that surrendering 2 sacks in 3 games is not a cause for concern. Would be 3 if the Dolphins hadn't been flagged for a fortunate hands-to-the-face penalty. We have an irrational, think-skinned homer bingo, folks

Probably one of the better examples of it I've seen here. If you can't acknowledge that giving up 2 sacks in 3 games is an issue, then there's no intelligent conversation to be had with you. You're not looking for an actual discussion, you're just looking for a circlejerk.

All-caps declaration, sarcastic quotes, implying I have an agenda for some reason, declaring a source non-credible while alluding vaguely to experts that allegedly support your case. And lastly, trying to shift the goalposts to the point that surrendering 2 sacks in 3 games is not a cause for concern. We have an irrational, think-skinned homer bingo, folks

Probably one of the better examples of it I've seen here. If you can't acknowledge that giving up 2 sacks in 3 games is an issue, then there's no intelligent conversation to be had with you. You're not looking for an actual discussion, you're just looking for a circlejerk.
I believe that smarmy response is beneath you.

Here is what you didn't do.

You didn't back up the credibility of the stats under which you were making your assumption. So in my mind all you've done is keep arguing a position you've had since before TC under the guise of Jeff Howe's suspect stats

You did nothing to discredit anything I opined. Instead you just hid behind some kind of self righteous indignation and refused to come out and play. Tsk Tsk, FTW.

Third you ignore all the reports which ascribed good play from Cannon. I read somewhere here where he faced Watt something like 14 times one on one and allowed on 1 assisted tackles to him, no sack hurries or hits.

But I don't want to get into some DI/Andy pissing contest with you. I just didn't like you continued your "Cannon Bashing" based on Howe's suspect stats and didn't want to just let it ride without comment. And that is NOT "homerism". (and I took offense at that too, btw)

I believe that smarmy response is beneath you.

Pot and kettle, ken. After a post like the one you wrote, you lose any and all ability to try to claim the high road going forward, so just get off that track right now.

Here is what you didn't do.

You didn't back up the credibility of the stats under which you were making your assumption. So in my mind all you've done is keep arguing a position you've had since before TC under the guise of Jeff Howe's suspect stats

How are Jeff Howe's stats suspect? Again, give specifics here. In your first post you used "he works at the Herald, therefore nothing he says or writes has any credibility", which is pretty self-evidently ridiculous. Jeff Howe has been doing this for quite a while now, since long before he worked at the Herald. We should all be pretty familiar with his work. I'm not quoting Michael Felger here. This guy actually likes the Patriots. You seem to be claiming he's making up stats for the specific purpose of making Cannon look bad, but what are you even basing that on? What possible motive could someone who isn't an obvious, outright troll have to do that? It's so ridiculous that I don't see how it warrants further response, but I'll go ahead and give it one anyway:

1) You seem to be claiming that the Herald has some vested interest in inventing false stats to make Cannon look bad. Why would he do this?

2) Why would Howe, specifically, not be credible? I've done a podcast with him in the past, and he seemed to be a great guy. He likes the Pats a lot, enjoys interacting positively with fans, actually has a noted tendency to rip on the local contrarian clowns, and is happy to see the Pats succeed. Ian hooked me up with him for the podcast, as they're on pretty friendly terms as well. In short, there's basically nothing in the guy's track record to suggest that he is what you so flippantly claim he is. He's the opposite.

Also, what position are you referring to that I've had since before TC? Again, be specific. I've said that he wasn't good last year (he wasn't), that therefore I was concerned about him as a starter and I hoped he improved this year under Scarnecchia. But sure, until I see that improvement I'm going to be worried, because we've seen exactly what a weak link on the OL can do to this offense.

You did nothing to discredit anything I opined.

Ridiculous opinions that you arrive at without any shred of evidence don't need to be exhaustively discredited. How about you provide a single shred of evidence supporting your claim that Howe is fabricating stats to make Cannon look bad. If you can do that, maybe the rest of your post will be worth taking somewhat seriously. Until then, it's solidly in the 'funny conspiracy theory' bin.

FWIW, I'm pulling down some rips of all three games right now. Since there seems to be some contention re: Cannon's level of play overall, I intend to do a deep dive on it tonight or tomorrow. I'll post the results here.

Last edited:
All-caps declaration, sarcastic quotes, implying I have an agenda for some reason, declaring a source non-credible while alluding vaguely to experts that allegedly support your case. And lastly, trying to shift the goalposts to the point that surrendering 2 sacks in 3 games is not a cause for concern. Would be 3 if the Dolphins hadn't been flagged for a fortunate hands-to-the-face penalty. We have an irrational, think-skinned homer bingo, folks

The Pats are headed for an mid 20s annual sack rate. That is a good, but not superb performance, made all the more impressive since they have played two playoff teams in their three games. and a third team with a good DL. Even while they are experiemnting and creating a coherent line.

Pot and kettle, ken. After a post like the one you wrote, you lose any and all ability to try to claim the high road going forward, so just get off that track right now.

How are Jeff Howe's stats suspect? Again, give specifics here. In your first post you used "he works at the Herald, therefore nothing he says or writes has any credibility", which is pretty self-evidently ridiculous. Jeff Howe has been doing this for quite a while now, since long before he worked at the Herald. We should all be pretty familiar with his work. I'm not quoting Michael Felger here. This guy actually likes the Patriots. You seem to be claiming he's making up stats for the specific purpose of making Cannon look bad, but what are you even basing that on? What possible motive could someone who isn't an obvious, outright troll have to do that? It's so ridiculous that I don't see how it warrants further response, but I'll go ahead and give it one anyway:

1) You seem to be claiming that the Herald has some vested interest in inventing false stats to make Cannon look bad. Why would he do this?

2) Why would Howe, specifically, not be credible? I've done a podcast with him in the past, and he seemed to be a great guy. He likes the Pats a lot, enjoys interacting positively with fans, actually has a noted tendency to rip on the local contrarian clowns, and is happy to see the Pats succeed. Ian hooked me up with him for the podcast, as they're on pretty friendly terms as well. In short, there's basically nothing in the guy's track record to suggest that he is what you so flippantly claim he is. He's the opposite.

Also, what position are you referring to that I've had since before TC? Again, be specific. I've said that he wasn't good last year (he wasn't), that therefore I was concerned about him as a starter and I hoped he improved this year under Scarnecchia. But sure, until I see that improvement I'm going to be worried.

Ridiculous opinions that you arrive at without any shred of evidence don't need to be exhaustively discredited. How about you provide a single shred of evidence supporting your claim that Howe is fabricating stats to make Cannon look bad. If you can do that, maybe the rest of your post will be worth taking somewhat seriously. Until then, it's solidly in the 'funny conspiracy theory' bin.

FWIW, I'm pulling down some rips of all three games right now. Since there seems to be some contention re: Cannon's level of play overall, I intend to do a deep dive on it tonight or tomorrow. I'll post the results here.

OK! it's a start

My problem with Howe isn't about his effort or his intentions. It is about the effectiveness of his observations. The criticism is the same as with PFF only worse.

1. I would opine that it's impossible to ascribe blame to a player UNLESS you know the play, the individual responsibilities, the calls, and all the post snap adjustments they've been coached to make. I would assume Jeff had none of this information.

2. I would also opine that if you were inclined to actually make the attempt to GUESS at who's to blame, you would need to at least have the coaches tapes to even make the attempt. Trying to do it with just the TV feed is simply an exercise in futility Now coaches tapes are now public record and IIRC correctly you can get them either Wednesday or Thursday after the game with some NFLN package. There is no way he could have access to coaches tapes for Houston this early in the week, which leads me to believe he's using the TV feed for his assessments, and thus increases my questions about the accuracy of his stats

3 I ran into the stats I mentioned on Cannon vs Watt. The "accurate" Stats were be blocked Watt 24 times, 16 in one one conditions, and allowed just one assisted tackle. What's interesting is the tweet gives this info comes from none other than Jeff Howe. His comment was "he beat the bag out of him" Not exactly the kind of indictment you made. But my questions on the accuracy of the stats that happen to support my position are the same as the stats you use to support yours. (FYI, the Howe tweet was in the idle thoughts thread)

Bottom Line: I get it. You don't like Cannon. You never liked Cannon. But the fact is that Cannon has played well over our expectations so far this year. Besides even the best of the league's tackles allow hits and sacks. You know they pay those guys too. In fact they pay them even more.

BTW- The one QB hit I CAN ascribe to Cannon came in the Cardinal game on a very nice inside move by Chandler Jones.

So in the end I'm not trying to change your mind. I wrote what I wrote to challenge the basis on which you are making your assessment.

And unless my math was wrong, calling my opinions "ridiculous", well is ridiculous.

FWIW: I just watched a segment with Zoe and Chatham that basically gave Cannon two thumbs up.

Personally I felt that Cannon has played much better compared to last year and that is without Gronk.

More importantly this O line as a whole has played well. Running game and Protection have both improved over last year.

Btw: Zoe and Chat also attributed the O line improvement to the return of Devlin and Scar.

OK! it's a start

My problem with Howe isn't about his effort or his intentions. It is about the effectiveness of his observations. The criticism is the same as with PFF only worse.

1. I would opine that it's impossible to ascribe blame to a player UNLESS you know the play, the individual responsibilities, the calls, and all the post snap adjustments they've been coached to make. I would assume Jeff had none of this information.

That's oftentimes true, but there are plenty of times when you can pretty clearly assign credit/blame just based on what you see. The simplest example being that if there's no one outside the tackle and he gets beaten to the outside and gives up a sack, it's on him. Or, for an example I just saw while rewatching the Cardinals game, if there are two rushers coming from the right side, and he takes the inside guy, leaving the outside guy untouched and the RG with no one to block, then he clearly blocked the wrong guy.

Here's a quick that speaks to the invalidity of point 1: if it was true, it would be impossible for anyone outside the Pats locker room to make any kind of assessment, good or bad, re: line play. It would also be literally impossible to scout linemen. Since that's not reflective of reality, this point cannot be true.

2. I would also opine that if you were inclined to actually make the attempt to GUESS at who's to blame, you would need to at least have the coaches tapes to even make the attempt. Trying to do it with just the TV feed is simply an exercise in futility Now coaches tapes are now public record and IIRC correctly you can get them either Wednesday or Thursday after the game with some NFLN package. There is no way he could have access to coaches tapes for Houston this early in the week, which leads me to believe he's using the TV feed for his assessments, and thus increases my questions about the accuracy of his stats

Again, disagreed. The coach's tape is much, much easier to work with, but you can work with the TV tape. I'm doing it right now. It just takes longer and you generally have to watch each play a few times. And besides, the argument you're making here kinda counters your own argument in general, since if you can't analyze line play without coaches' tape, and coaches tape isn't available for the Houston game yet, then anyone who's claiming Cannon did a good job yesterday must also not know what they're talking about either.

3 I ran into the stats I mentioned on Cannon vs Watt. The "accurate" Stats were be blocked Watt 24 times, 16 in one one conditions, and allowed just one assisted tackle. What's interesting is the tweet gives this info comes from none other than Jeff Howe. His comment was "he beat the bag out of him" Not exactly the kind of indictment you made. But my questions on the accuracy of the stats that happen to support my position are the same as the stats you use to support yours. (FYI, the Howe tweet was in the idle thoughts thread)

I agree with you to the point that Cannon played a good game last night. Elevated his body of work so far this season from very, very bad to... less bad, but still alarming.

Bottom Line: I get it. You don't like Cannon. You never liked Cannon. But the fact is that Cannon has played well over our expectations so far this year. Besides even the best of the league's tackles allow hits and sacks. You know they pay those guys too. In fact they pay them even more.

How do you figure? I want Cannon to be good. and I'm pulling for him to succeed. I'm not one of those weird contrarian posters who seems to enjoy it when the team or any of its players fail. Never have been. The guy ****ing beat cancer on his way to carving out a career for himself in the NFL, even if he wasn't a Patriot it would be impossible not to like the guy, and since he is a Patriot I'm going to root for him regardless. None of this changes the fact that I think he's the weak link on this offense, and that the states and reviewing the game tape has born it out so far (I just finished the Cardinals game, starting the Dolphins game).

BTW- The one QB hit I CAN ascribe to Cannon came in the Cardinal game on a very nice inside move by Chandler Jones.

Earlier in that same drive is another one, on the first play of the 4th quarter. 2 free rushers come from the right side, Cannon attempts to block the inside guy but whiffs. Both hit the QB, outside rusher goes helmet to helmet resulting in a roughing the passer flag. The fumble in the 2nd quarter was also on Cannon, it was his man (Golden) that beat him around the edge and stripped Garoppolo. And the first play from scrimmage on the Dolphins game looks like another QB hit allowed by Cannon. Can't say with 100% certainty since it's a blown assignment, but it sure looks like it's on him since he elects to double team while the guys on either side of him are engaged, which is what opens up the lane that the free rusher comes through. He gave up another QB hit at 4:45 of the fourth quarter of the Dolphins game. And FWIW, on the play where Garoppolo was injured, Cannon wasn't directly responsible for the hit, but it was Wake beating both Bennett and Cannon in succession that flushed Jimmy out of the pocket and set that chain of events in motion. And it technically doesn't count, but he gave up a third sack at 7:18 in the 2nd quarter of the Dolphins game when Wake beat him around the edge, but it was nullified by ticky-tack hands to the face penalty that occurred on the side of the field that Garoppolo didn't look at until the pressure was already there, so he lucked out of that one going into the official stats.

Both the hit that you mentioned and the first QB hit I mentioned were part of a nightmare drive for Cannon. In between those two hits, he also committed a hold that offset what would've been a 25 yard pass interference that put the ball on the 1. That penalty cost us 4 points, and if Catanzaro nails that 48 yard FG he's the single biggest reason why we lost, because he would've been directly responsible for 2 sacks, one of which resulted in a turnover, as well as a penalty that wiped 4 points off the board.

FWIW, he did redeem himself somewhat later in the 4th on Blount's 13 yard run on 3rd and 11. His block was the the most instrumental to springing that run, he did a great job. I'm happy to give him credit when it's due. He's been good in stretches, including being good last night. I'm rooting for him to consistently get to the level that he displayed even in the first half of the Cardinals game, let alone the Texans game. But when things go bad, they go very bad, and giving up 2 sacks in 3 games is not adequate performance from a starting tackle. He has been a liability overall to the offense.

Last edited:
I do not think the o line is playing better than last year. I think they are more assignment sound than last year.

Thuney has been lights out incredible and having solder back is beyond huge.

Mason is a future all pro and karras our future center.

Cannon is still jag, but a better jag than last season.

December 18 the oline will take the von Miller test. I know it's 2months away, but mark that down as a harbinger for how the playoffs (wood knock) will pan out. There's going to be a lot of changes between now and then (guys figuring it out/melding together, scar tinkering,Brady back).

Cannon isn't a ideal RT, but I've actually been encouraged so far.

One thing that struck me....in the past when scar was oline coach, we were (I was) constantly frustrated with the state of the running game most years. By comparison, our oline is owning it this year.
Without Stork waving Miller when the snap would start, i like Cannon against him. Maybe he will let some sack or hurry but with help from Bennet and Gronk i dont see Denver as a big problem even in Denver.

And with few more games Cannon and Mason will be more than fine. They need good coaching and dante is back.

I do not think the o line is playing better than last year. I think they are more assignment sound than last year.

Thuney has been lights out incredible and having solder back is beyond huge.

Mason is a future all pro and karras our future center.

Cannon is still jag, but a better jag than last season.
So could you find me a team who happens to have a better 3 OT on the roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News