PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Guregian's article on the offensive line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I nominate this as the worst analysis since we stopped discussing backup quarterbacks.

Our top six offensive linemen return from one the top three offensive lines in the NFL in 2012. Overall, they are healthier this year than last.

Scarnecchia can only do so much. Sometimes you just can't coach 'em up.

Your argument holds no water. Dante Scarnecchia coached the same five starting offensive lineman to the tune of 557 points scored last season.

2012 New England Patriots Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

I nominate this as the worst analysis since we stopped discussing backup quarterbacks.

Our top six offensive linemen return from one the top three offensive lines in the NFL in 2012. Overall, they are healthier this year than last.

You realize that your rebuttal attempts don't actually rebut what he was saying, at all, right?

You realize that your rebuttal attempts don't actually rebut what he was saying, at all, right?

Thanks Deus. I think I'm done with this thread. I just hope they fix the problem before Brady gets killed.

I mentioned this two days ago with some additional numbers that point out some of the other things that are causing this offense problems:

Morning Huddle 10/22 - Trying to Make Sense of Brady's Sack Total, Jones Off to a Good Start, Today's Links :Ian's New England Patriots Blog

Read the first part of this entry. The O-Line isn't playing as well both in pass protection and running the football. Although the level of defenses they seem to be playing this season are also better than last year as well, so there are a variety of issues in play here that are part of this overall problem.

Last edited:
I mentioned this two days ago with some additional numbers that point out some of the other things that are causing this offense problems:

Great read Ian.

I wasn't aware of this interesting Fins stat and it bothers me: "... The Dolphins have the fifth highest sack total in the league with 42, which poses yet another challenge.

Glad that we are playing @ home and hopefully our OL doesn't let Brady touched by any of the Fins.

We are all entitled to our wants.

Many posted believe that we would be better off with Connolly at center and Cannon at RG. Belichick and dante respectfully disagree. The choice is clearly there for bill and dante to make. They choose to have Cannon and Svitek as backups.

Our running against the jets was solid. Look at the YPC against one of the best run defense in the league. This was the case even though the jets chose to focus on defending against the run.

Mgtiech,

I was wondering when in this long post someone would finally get around to the problem and what to do about it. I think BB & DS planned to transition to Cannon at RG but it has been impossible to do so far, Svitek was brought in to free Cannon and take the job as swing tackle, He promptly got hurt, so Cannon had to stay at reserve OT. When Svitek got healthy, Cannon got injured. He is sporting a shoulder problem. That is the most debilitating injury for an Offensive lineman who can still walk, and who needs his shoulders to block.

We are hoping Cannon gets healthy so he can replace Connolly, in turn freeing him to take Wendell's spot, at least when we play teams with big,accomplished, DTs like the Bengals and Jets.

BB has always felt that you draft LOTs, move one to ROT and,then pick up whatever you can get for the interior line. I think he needs to draft an interior O-lineman in the 2nd to 4th round, to add some quality there.

I've been following this game for a long time

One rule is that when people are talking about the Offensive line, there's usually a problem.

The Patriots have been running 40-50 passing plays a game for years.

In Tom Brady's 12 previous years prior to this one, he has averaged slightly less than 34 attempts per game.

This current season, we're seeing an average of about 41 attempts per game, which is too high. At this current rate of a 41 average, Brady would throw the ball more times than any other season in his entire career.

Actually, in regard to the number of passing plays--"40" is the magic number lately (since the start of 2011). When Brady passes less than 40, the Patriots are 21-2 in their last 23 games. They also score more pts at 34 a game.

When he throws it 40 or more times, the Pats are just 9-7 and they only score an average of 27 pts--or a full TD less.

Bottom line....we'd like to see him keep it at 39 or less attempts, as it improves both the odds of winning and the total number of points scored.

Tom Brady?s Magic Number Is 40, And Patriots Are Better Off When He Avoids It | New England Patriots | NESN.com

I think he needs to draft an interior O-lineman in the 2nd to 4th round, to add some quality there.

I think it's practically a no-brainer that the position of interior lineman needs to be drafted high in next year's draft. Belichick often prefers to try and stay ahead of actual needs as much as he can, but sometimes it's inevitable, as we've seen at CB/S/WR lately. In my opinion, OL is definitely a "need" going into this year's draft.

I think there is even a decent possibility of a double selection like we've seen at front seven, TE, RB, and WR lately too. Selecting TWO offensive lineman (possibly one who can play both inside and out) seems to be a good way to go in rounds 1-4.

Then again, I think I wouldn't mind seeing another attempt at a trade down/out of the first round again to acquire more picks in rounds 2 and 3 again myself, as we could use several positions targeted such as OL, DL, S, CB, and best pick available (possibly even QB while Mallett is still here for one more year).

Read the first part of this entry. The O-Line isn't playing as well both in pass protection and running the football. Although the level of defenses they seem to be playing this season are also better than last year as well, so there are a variety of issues in play here that are part of this overall problem.

Without reading the article yet Ian, I am guessing that some of the problems and differences are:

--the fact that we have moved away from the "quick timing" 5-10 yd passes in the slot which allowed Brady to have the quickest release time at one point last season. One thought is that this may either be a pre-planned move, or they simply haven't been able to take advantage of Danny Amendola due to his injury problems so far. This surely made the offensive line look better and hid some weaknesses, just as we're seeing with Manning (It's nice not having to differentiate what Manning I'm referring to anymore)

--the lack of balance/success in the running game, as this too hid some weaknesses. As noted in the post above, the magic number for Brady pass attempts is under 40, as we are 21-2 since the beginning of 2011 when he passes for 39 or less attempts. This of course, leads to running the ball more. Our offense as a whole actually scores more pts on average during this period too, with a 34 ppg average. In comparison, we are just 9-7 in games that show 40 or more passing attempts, and average a full TD less at 27 ppg

--the tendency to have both QB and WR seeing different things in the defense, which has led to miscommunication problems with the rookie wideouts. This has led to having to hold the ball longer for Brady, which in turn exposes the weaknesses that we already had on the offensive line last season (RG--Connelly was often viewed as the "weakest link," and C--Wendell was likely the second weakest)

--the change in philosophy from the TE targets. Prior to Sunday's game we had targeted the TE position a whopping total of 15 times. Hopefully that changes with a healthy Gronkowski moving forward

--as mentioned, last season we were already having to deal with issues on the center/right side of the line, and those issues are clearly being exploited now due to some/many of these factors named above. This brings up a whole new issue of whether or not to extend Wendell and/or restructure Connelly's overpaid 3 million dollar cap hit in 2014. These issues will also coincide with our need for drafting an interior lineman in the first few rounds next spring, possibly even in the first round or two--and possibly even taking a "double dip" on the position of OL altogether, much the same as we did with front seven, RB, TE, and WR in the past few seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST