PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

For those who thought BB should have chosen Danny Watkins instead of Nate Solder....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: For those who thought BB should have chosen Danny Watkins instead of Nate Solder.

Except that it wasn't Butler and Brace they drafted with the picks that they got from trading down.

I'm pretty sure that Patchick has mentioned the 4 players we got instead of Matthews.. Patchick, could you repeat those 4 again????

Off the top of my head, it was the very mixed bag of Butler, Gronkowski, Tate and Edelman. Even with only Gronkowski and Edelman remaining, that's still very good value for the #26 pick.

Here's a fun game. Let's say with full hindsight, you can take any player drafted from #26 on in the 2009 draft EXCEPT Matthews...
2009 NFL Draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...or you can have Gronkowski + Edelman.

Who would you choose? How many of the players available at #26 were worth more than what they got?

Re: For those who thought BB should have chosen Danny Watkins instead of Nate Solder.

Lets not strain any muscles patting ourselves on the back just yet. Solder isn't starting yet either (and ftr I thought Watkins was a decent possibility @ 33, no earlier).

Good thing we went with who we did, if only to keep TSK from instead being TheWatkinsKing, which doesn't really have the same ring to it. :)

Castonzo(whom we could have gotten later in the draft) is the guy we need to compare Solder with. Time will tell...

Castonzo(whom we could have gotten later in the draft) is the guy we need to compare Solder with. Time will tell...

Still think Solder is the better pick. Time will indeed tell.

That will definitely be an interesting long-term comparison. But "could have gotten later in the draft"? :confused: Castonzo went #22 overall, the very next OL taken.

J Carpenter was benched too lol.

But it wasn't as bad as the time they wasted a 1st on a special teamer who wouldn't have a chance of cracking their CB lineup. Now THAT was a move fans knew for sure was a blunder. ;)

I swear to GOD that 78.6% of the folks here get their "opinions" cut + pasted DIRECTLY from Idiot Radio ~ that's 98.5, for those scoring at home.

I actually remember where I was, the first time I heard Felger ~ or whoever it was ~ play Bill The Mad's "He's a 4 Down Player" quote and then declare that we had drafted a Special Teams Player!!

MORON.

Oh, there are plenty I'm sure BB would like to do over! It's just weird to me how fixated people seem to be on Clay Matthews.

Kind of funny, too, that at the time opinions were wildly divided about which of half a dozen OLBs was the right choice, but now that Matthews is the ONLY one to have panned out, everybody knew all along he was a stud. :)

I seem to remember Clint Sintim having at least as many fans as Matthews around here. Barwin probably had more than both of them combined.

Last edited:

I swear to GOD that 78.6% of the folks here get their "opinions" cut + pasted DIRECTLY from Idiot Radio ~ that's 98.5, for those scoring at home.

I actually remember where I was, the first time I heard Felger ~ or whoever it was ~ play Bill The Mad's "He's a 4 Down Player" quote and then declare that we had drafted a Special Teams Player!!

MORON.

The best is that people were especially pissed because we not only picked a STer, but we did so while Kyle Wilson, the clearly superior CB, was still on the board. Jets fans spent the next month over here gloating about how Belichick had let a future all-pro fall into their laps.

I added the draft positions to your post. Thanks for looking up the details.

So, yes, other first rounders are doing fine so far. FIVE of the eight are starting in their first game. That's not a knock on Solder. After all, not many teams with two probowlers at OT draft an OT in the first round. Of course, Light was a free agent.

As someone has indicated, Constanzo is the more interesting comparison. For many, Costanzo was the expected patriot choice at 17. Watkins was considered a second rounder my most.

Based off ESPN's Depth Chart or other news sources.

9 Tyron Smith - Cowboys - Starting RT
15 Mike Pouncey - Dolphins - Starting C
17 Nate Solder - Patriots - Swing Tackle
22 Anthony Costanzo - Colts - Starting LT
23 Danny Watkins - Eagles - Reserve Guard
25 James Carpenter - Seahawks - Starting RT
29 Gabe Carimi - Bears - Starting RT
32 Derek Sherrod - Packers - Reserve Guard/OT

I've not seen any of the others play, yet. Being that we'll see the Packers on Thursday, we'll see if Sherrod gets any time. We'll get a 1st hand look at Pouncey on Monday.

The best is that people were especially pissed because we not only picked a STer, but we did so while Kyle Wilson, the clearly superior CB, was still on the board. Jets fans spent the next month over here gloating about how Belichick had let a future all-pro fall into their laps.

I think it's funny that even Coach Ryan, kinda said back in Dec, that he had hoped to get Devin.

I have never gotten the love for edelman. Can somebody tell me what this guy has done to get so much love? He returned a punt for a touchdown in a meaningless game against the dolphins in week 17. Is that it? That's the only play he made last year. He sucks as a wide receiver (can't catch), and can't play two games in row without getting injured. This is a classic case of overrating a overachieving little white player.

Danny Woodhead is an overachieving little "white" player too...really can't see what's wrong with that....I'm guessing that since BB prizes versatility, Edelman's value is somewhat buttressed by the fact he played QB in college and in a pinch, could carry out that assignment if the Pats 1 and 2 go down during a game, seeing as how the 3 most likely will be inactive every game

I'll have a hard time getting down on any rookies this year, especially early on in the season. They got screwed by the lockout.

Last edited:

I have never gotten the love for edelman. Can somebody tell me what this guy has done to get so much love? He returned a punt for a touchdown in a meaningless game against the dolphins in week 17. Is that it? That's the only play he made last year. He sucks as a wide receiver (can't catch), and can't play two games in row without getting injured. This is a classic case of overrating a overachieving little white player.

He had that good game when Welker was out his rookie year, hes fast, he shows promise and I guess thats why most of us like him on the team.

Off the top of my head, it was the very mixed bag of Butler, Gronkowski, Tate and Edelman. Even with only Gronkowski and Edelman remaining, that's still very good value for the #26 pick.

Here's a fun game. Let's say with full hindsight, you can take any player drafted from #26 on in the 2009 draft EXCEPT Matthews...
2009 NFL Draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...or you can have Gronkowski + Edelman.

Who would you choose? How many of the players available at #26 were worth more than what they got?

Not really.....it's basically Gronkowski for Matthews.....edleman is a scrub.

Why can't I choose matthews? I didn't need any hindsight regarding brace......taking mike Thomas instead of mckenzie is the answer for Edelman.

I'm just saying.....at this point, we have nothing to show for 2 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders in 2009......that some poor decision mking

Good thing we went with who we did, if only to keep TSK from instead being TheWatkinsKing, which doesn't really have the same ring to it. :)

Imagine what TSK would have called himself on Patsfans 8 years ago if he was a big fan of Randall Gay coming out of college then signed by NE? :eek:

Last edited:

There are a multitude of reasons why many like Julian Edelman.

1) He was a 7th round draft choice who successfully made the conversion from QB in college to WR and ST in the pros. That's impressive.

2) He plays hard on every single snap. That can't be said for every player. For Edelman, he seems to give his all, even dispite his usual physical mismatches. We all remember the BAL playoff game, which led to all of the off season talk last yr (when WWW was hurt) in which some posters predicted an easy 100 catches for him in Welker's absence. Luckily, we didn't have to see that, but in 2009 he did have close to 40 catches. There's obvious potential there. Now if Edelman screws up future opportunites/larger sample size, I will be the first to admit that he should go.

3) He has versatility as a WR (albeit in a backup role due to the depth chart) and his punt returning talent is obvious. He's shifty, quick, can make guys miss. He has the potential to take it to the house on many of his touches. You may remember the week 17 game vs. MIA, but there have been some other nice punt returns too. Last yr the team averaged 15.3 yards per punt return when Edelman took over the duties.

4) He's extremely cheap, playing under a rookie contract. That's also very important.

5) He seems to have a good work ethic and people tend to like the underdog role. For all of the supposed "oft-injued" talk, Edelman has played in 26 of 32 possible games since being drafted. That includes 15 of 16 possible games last yr. So really, he was hurt for a few games during his rookie year. To me, that does not seem to be much reason for an "oft-injured" label.

6) He's young. 24 yrs old, and could be part of our future receiving core, especially if Welker is not re-signed (I certainly hope that Welker is re-signed). Regardless, there's really no reason NOT to keep him at this juncture.

Last edited:

Not really.....it's basically Gronkowski for Matthews.....edleman is a scrub.

Why can't I choose matthews? I didn't need any hindsight regarding brace......taking mike Thomas instead of mckenzie is the answer for Edelman.

I'm just saying.....at this point, we have nothing to show for 2 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders in 2009......that some poor decision mking

It's called the draft being a crapshoot and you using hindsight to claim poor decision making when you don't have all the information. It's what I like to call talking out your arse.

The fact is that you have no idea how Clay Mathews would have played in this Defense (and no, it's not the same as in Green Bay) and you have no idea how Mike Thomas would have done in this system. Never mind how they would have handled Belichick's coaching, dealing with the other coaches, etc. Those ARE things that Belichick knows.

BTW, the reality count is a SINGLE 2nd round pick and 2 third round picks that didn't work out.

OH, btw, is Belichick supposed to by clairvoyant and be able to see the future and tell that Ty McKenzie is going to blow out his knee during mini camp then ask for his release from the Pats practice squad because he wants to be closer to home?

BTW, please keep calling players scrubs and such just because they haven't met your completely idiotic and unrealistic expectations for them.

BTW, Mike Thomas wouldn't have lasted 2 seasons on the Pats. Not with how he fumbles.

As for needing hindsight regarding Brace, you're wrong. You do need it. If you looked back to last year, you'd have seen Brace had progressed quite a bit and was doing well until his injury. But you can't even give the guy credit because you have such a hard on for b!tching about BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST