PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thirdbasekid24 Trade Heavy Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirdbasekid24

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I made this mock earlier this week. I'm beginning to think Dareus will actually be the pick in Carolina and will do another one Tues or Wed night. Needless to say I had fun trying to come up with trades that made sense according to value chart. Feel free to tear it apart.

Carolina - Cam Newton QB - Auburn
In a division with Brees, Ryan and Freeman the Panthers opt to pass on the sure thing DL and take the QB with the highest upside
Denver - Marcel Dareus DT - Alabama
The Broncos are changing from a 34 to a 43 base so they select the best DT in the draft.
Buffalo - Von Miller LB - Texas AM
Buffalo sticks to its guns that they believe in Fitzpatrick and choose to upgrade their pass rush with the highest rated LB in the draft
Cincinatti - AJ Green WR - Georgia
With Ochocinco all but out the door in Cincy the Bengals are happy to nab the player that is #1 on their board
Arizona - Blaine Gabbert QB - Missouri
The Cards tell the Media they won't take Gabbert, but it's all a smoke screen as they can't go into the season with Derek Anderson and John Skelton competing for the QB position.
TRADE DALLAS #9 + #71 + #110 + 2012 4th TO CLEVELAND #6
Dallas - Patrick Peterson - CB - LSU

Jerry Jones loves to make the big splash, despite all the rumors of the cowboys selecting OT Tyron Smith, they stick with their tendancy to not draft OL in round one to trade up with Cleveland to acquire what many experts believe to be the top rated player in the draft. Cleveland has lots of needs and picks up an early 3rd and a 4th.
San Francisco - Robert Quinn DE/OLB - North Carolina
San Francisco needs help opposite Manny Lawson, as well as CB. PP7 is now off the board and Quinn is rated higher on the board then Amakumara so they take the pass rusher from UNC
TRADE ST LOUIS #14 + #78 + 2012 3rd TO TENNESSEE #8
St Louis - Julio Jones WR - Alabama

Fairley is on the board, but the Titans are concerned with character issues. Knowing Cleveland is now at 9 and possibly looking at WR the Rams opt to jump in front of them and give their new QB a stud WR
Cleveland - Cameron Jordan DE - California
The Browns are installing a new defensive scheme, Holmgren doesn't take players with issues so Fairley is off the board, while Jordan is projected as a 34 DE, he showed at the senior bowl his versatility to play anywhere on the line.
TRADE NEW ENGLAND #17 + #60 + #125 TO WASHINGTON #10
New England - Nick Fairley DT - Auburn

Washington is looking to move down and acquire more picks. Out of the ordinary Mikes friend Bill has the ammo to move up and they take Nick Fairley. Fairley gives the Patriots the option to show different defensive alignments and should shape up nicely next to Wilfork.
Houston - Prince Amakumara CB - Nebraska
The Texans are thrilled Amakurmara dropped to 11 as they had the worst pass defense in the league in 2010
Minnesota - Tyron Smith OT - USC
The Vikings are rumored to be enamored with Locker, but with a hush hush deal for Mcnabb under the table, they choose to upgrade the OL with the highest rated tackle in the draft still on the board.
TRADE SAN DIEGO #18 + #61 TO DETROIT #13 + #154
San Diego - JJ Watt DE - Wisconsin

The Chargers need help on the Dline. The Titans are up next, and Jacksonville and New England are also in need of a DE. Chargers decide to jump all of them and take JJ Watt. The Lions have the least amount of picks in the draft and are happy to move down a few slots.
Tennessee - Corey Liuget DT - Illinois
The titans need help on the dline, passing on Fairley to round up more picks the titans get the next best rated DT in the draft Corey Liuget
Miami - Ryan Mallet QB - Arkansas
Miami was hoping to trade down, but with no suitable partners the dolphins have to stick here and they select Ryan Mallet. Pouncey is another option.
Jacksonville - Ryan Kerrigan DE - Purdue
The Jags need pass rush help and Kerrigans consistent numbers and high motor are too much to pass up.
Washington - Jake Locker QB - Washington
The Redskins get the QB they were originally targeting, 7 spots cheaper.
Detroit - Anthony Castonzo OT - Boston College
Jimmy Smith could be a target here but the Lions need to address the Oline to keep Stafford healthy. They get the best pass blocking OT in the draft.
New York Giants - Mike Pouncey OG - Florida
The Giants have health concerns on their interior line. Seubert, Koets and O'Hara are all recovering from injury. Pouncey could start right away at Center or Gaurd.
Tampa Bay - Justin Houston DE/OLB - Georgia
The Pewter Report says the Buccs don't like Aldon Smith, and I tend to believe them. Houston is the pick here.
TRADE BALTIMORE #26 + #90 + 2012 5th KANSAS CITY #21 + #118
Baltimore - Jimmy Smith CB - Colorado

Baltimore wants to upgrade their secondary, to do so they have to jump the Eagles. Colts probably looking to stay put as the Eagles could also go oline. Pioli and The Chiefs are willing to move back a few spots and grab some more picks along the way.
Indianapolis - Gabe Carimi OT - Wisconsin
Bill Polian likes Big 10 guys, they need help on the oline after Ugoh didn't pan out. Carimi is the tackle of choice.
Philadelphia - Aldon Smith DE - Missouri
Jimmy Smith is off the board so the Eagles need to go interior OL or Front 7. Pouncey is off the board and Watkins age may be a concern, so they take the pass rusher from Missouri who can play DE in their 43 or OLB if they do switch to the 34.
New Orleans - Daquan Bowers DE - Clemson
The Saints need help at the DE position, at 24 they're willing to take a chance on a guy who was once considered a top 5 pick. Ingrahm could be a possibility here, but they just resigned Pierre Thomas, and there is good value in the later rounds.
TRADE NEW YORK JETS #30 + #94 + #161 TO SEATTLE #25 + #172
New York Jets - Muhammad Wilkerson DT - Temple

Seahawk GM John Schneider has been preaching all along he wants to move down, the Jets have been recently known to go up and get their guy if they can. The Chiefs, Falcons and Division rival Patriots could all possibly be looking at Wilkerson so the Jets give the Hawks their 3rd back and grab a guy that can play all 3 downs for them at DE.
Kansas City - Derek Sherrod OT - Missisppi St.
Chiefs need an upgrade at OT. Sherrod should be able to play LT from day 1 and move Albert over to RT. A surprise pick here could be WR Torrey Smith from Maryland to go opposite Bowe.
TRADE GREEN BAY #32 + #96 + #163 + 2012 5th TO ATLANTA #27 + #158
Green Bay - Danny Watkins

Green Bay doesn't have a lot of needs coming off a superbowl win, but oline is a concern. Clifton is getting older, and Colledge is probably on
his way out in Green Bay. It costs them a little more to trade with a NFC rival but Watkins could start day one at LG and they don't want him to slip to division rival Chicago at #29.
TRADE TENNESSEE #39 + #77 TO NEW ENGLAND #28
Tennessee - Colin Kaepernick QB - Nevada
With Watkins off the board, The Patriots elect to trade out of this spot and pick up the 2nd they lost moving up with Washington as well as adding an additional 3rd round pick. The Titans love the upside of Kaepernick and they've already fulfilled a need on the dline so they take a chance and jump in front of other teams looking for a qb earlier in the 2nd.
Chicago - Nate Solder OT - Colorado
Solder might be a year away from contributing significantly, but the Bears desperately need to find a way to keep Cutler upright. The size and
speed of Solder is too much to pass up on.
TRADE CINCINNATI #35 + #66 + #206 TO SEATTLE #30 + #94
Cincinnati - Christian Ponder QB - Florida St

The 7 and 9 Seahawks continue to slide down the draft board and move from the bottom of round 3 to the top. The Bengals were able to grab the top wide out with the 4th overall pick, Carson Palmer has played his last down in Cincy so the Bengals jump Buffalo and take what could be the most pro ready QB in the draft.
Pittsburgh - Phil Taylor NT - Baylor
The Steelers get their future replacement for Casey Hampton.
Atlanta - Adrian Clayborn DE - Iowa
The Falcons need a 43 DE that can rush the passer, Clayborn could be a natural fit.

Last edited:
FWIW here's how I had the rest of the draft unfolding for the Patriots.

NEW ENGLAND PICKS
#10 Nick Fairley DT - Auburn
#33 Cameron Heyward DE - Ohio St.
#39 Ben Ijalana OG - Villanova
#74 Shane Vareen RB - Cal
#77 Greg Salas WR - Hawaii
#92 Marcus Gilbert OT - Florida
#159 Steven Friday OLB - Virginia Tech
#192 Mario Fannin RB - Auburn

Last edited:
I would take Kerrigan there

Kerrigan would make a nice addition to this team IMO

Fairley is like a TV Dinner that looks great from the pic on the box,but open the box and take it out and it's nothing like the pic on the box.

I would take Kerrigan there

Kerrigan would make a nice addition to this team IMO

Fairley is like a TV Dinner that looks great from the pic on the box,but open the box and take it out and it's nothing like the pic on the box.

I love this post! Very, very funny cuz it is soooooo true!

BB moving up with #17 would be a great move IMHO.....

WHO he picks is irrelevant to me as a fan.....

IN BB I TRUST :rocker:

Very entertaining out of the box mock. Some interesting trade up scenarios, but I think the Jets would be super foolish to trade up for Wilkerson when they are already low on picks coming into the draft especially with Phil Taylor available.

I have the Cowboys trading with Cleveland for Peterson in my mock too. I just don't think Jerry can resist the shiny object. It's actually a pretty good move, IF he can hit the OL jackpot in round 2.

I don't know what to think about Fairley. He's ridiculously talented, but when you hear that many people screaming "immature!" from the rooftops it has to give you pause. "Immature" seems to be the current preferred code word for "ticking time bomb."

I have the Cowboys trading with Cleveland for Peterson in my mock too. I just don't think Jerry can resist the shiny object. It's actually a pretty good move, IF he can hit the OL jackpot in round 2.

I don't know what to think about Fairley. He's ridiculously talented, but when you hear that many people screaming "immature!" from the rooftops it has to give you pause. "Immature" seems to be the current preferred code word for "ticking time bomb."

Patchick--are you at all concerned with Fairley's propensity to be projected as more of a 4-3 guy, or do you not agree with that assessment?

I think someone putting him on a 40 front line where he has the opportunity to rush the passer more than shedding blocks to free up space, would be utilizing his skill set better.

Am I just poorly evaluating his talent, or do you think that he MAY have the tools to be able to do what's necessary in Belichick's 2 gap 3-4 system? (which is very possible I suppose)

EDIT: The reason I am asking is b/c I do not care for him, but for different reasons than you provide.

Last edited:
You are not concerned with Fairley's "dirty" play style (that will be called personal fouls in the NFL) and the fact that he is a 1 year wonder, aaaaaand the rumor that he doesnt want to play in cold weather?

You are not concerned with Fairley's "dirty" play style (that will be called personal fouls in the NFL) and the fact that he is a 1 year wonder, aaaaaand the rumor that he doesnt want to play in cold weather?

I've heard it all about this guy. I've listened to his interviews and I don't get the same sense of me me that everyone is pinning on him. From the last interview I heard he is dying to prove the critics wrong. Besides, it's not our choice and I'm sure he is off the board if he is as much as a clown as some are saying. I'm pretty sure Belichick has talked to people at Auburn to get the scoop and will be able to get an accurate measurement of his ability and character.

The last time I saw this kid play he was the wrecking ball taking on double teams like they were knats and destroying the number 1 team in the country. Makes me wonder how much of this is fabricated from other teams in hopes that he falls to them? How much is the truth?

I'm pretty sure he wasn't doing some Mortal Combat fatality on the field or trying to gouge someones eye out or anything like that. He already plays for us.

I've heard it all about this guy. I've listened to his interviews and I don't get the same sense of me me that everyone is pinning on him. From the last interview I heard he is dying to prove the critics wrong. Besides, it's not our choice and I'm sure he is off the board if he is as much as a clown as some are saying. I'm pretty sure Belichick has talked to people at Auburn to get the scoop and will be able to get an accurate measurement of his ability and character.

The last time I saw this kid play he was the wrecking ball taking on double teams like they were knats and destroying the number 1 team in the country. Makes me wonder how much of this is fabricated from other teams in hopes that he falls to them? How much is the truth?

I'm pretty sure he wasn't doing some Mortal Combat fatality on the field or trying to gouge someones eye out or anything like that. He already plays for us.

Yeah, I think this is a very true and fair assessment regarding some of the unproven rumors regarding Fairley. You put that very well.

Personally, NO, I am not all that worried at all about any of that stuff, as you say--BB will have a much better gauge on that than we ever could.

I wouldn't expect him to mature overnight, but when you put somebody in a locker room with strong leadership I expect that to wear off. Similar to how kids will change depending on their friends and influence around them. Certainly there's a chance he never will mature and he becomes the next Haynesworth attitude wise, but I also think he's just getting a bad rap because tis the season. If Bill thinks he's a good guy then I'm all for it.

Last edited:
Nick Fairley. Really? All indications are he would be the best fit in a 4-3 defense that allowed him to attack. I'm not sure I'm buying him as a 3-4 2 gap DE. No less trading up and giving up THREE picks to draft him. And what about those immaturity and character issues that are floating around. That doesn't concern you AT ALL? Thanks, but no thanks. Not for that price and not with those red flags.

Nick Fairley. Really? All indications are he would be the best fit in a 4-3 defense that allowed him to attack. I'm not sure I'm buying him as a 3-4 2 gap DE. No less trading up and giving up THREE picks to draft him. And what about those immaturity and character issues that are floating around. That doesn't concern you AT ALL? Thanks, but no thanks. Not for that price and not with those red flags.
Golly, reports of immaturity and character suddenly swirling around the most productive big play defensive lineman in the draft, it's almost like it was the silly season between the Combine and the draft when teams leak false leads to their media friends to try and confuse other teams.

Vince "baby Sapp" Wilfork objects to your characterization of Nick Fairley as 4-3 only. I don't think there's a chance in a million Fairley slides down far enough for NE to consider, but a kid who blows up backfields the way he does has to be worth a long look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes