PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

State of the Pats: READY for big games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting quote from Brady:

Bedard: Tom Brady knows he needs reinforcements for Patriots to be Super

“I think it’s got to be more than just two or three guys doing it,” Brady said. “If we can get five or six guys healthy and everyone plays a role, then that’s going to be great for the offense.”

Closest I've ever seen him calling out his teammates. He does it indirectly, but it's an acknowledgement that Britt, Dorsett, etc aren't getting the job done. Not sure if it's been posted on here yet.

A bit more from the article (sub required):

He could have gone further and talked about how Brandin Cooks and Danny Amendola aren’t supposed to getting 11 and seven targets, respectively, in a game like the did on Sunday when Gronkowski was on mothballs. But you get the idea.

Everyone wants to know why Brady’s throwing deep so often. They also want to know why his stat line over the past five games (87.3 rating, 10 TDs, and six INTs) has been so far off career December numbers prior to this season (93.0 rating, 108 TDs, 40 INTs).

We’ve discussed it before, but it deserves more explanation.

We knew once Julian Edelman was lost for the season, that the Patriots offense would look somewhat different. But there was still plenty of talent for the Patriots to keep most of its short-passing game intact. Chris Hogan and Amendola could approximate some of what Edelman did, and James White and Rex Burkhead were huge assets in the short passing. And it’s no coincidence that the offense was at its best in the two games after the bye week against the Broncos and Raiders, when Martellus Bennett was on the roster and giving Brady another weapon in the short area of the field.

Since then, and especially once Burkhead and White were lost against the Steelers, the offense has changed. Without short-area receivers — Amendola and Lewis are the only two accustomed to that role — Josh McDaniels and Brady have had to morph the Patriots’ passing attack from a quick-throw scheme, to one that featured deeper drops and deeper routes for the receivers. That’s where the weapons they have at their disposal — Gronk, Dorsett, Cooks, and Britt — are at their best. It’s not what Brady does best, but he’s Brady and he can make do. His completion percentage would take a hit, and he’d have to throw a few more dangerous passes, but that’s what the Patriots had to work with. That’s why it has looked so different.

But I expect, once the playoffs start, for the Patriots to be back and running their normal scheme.

The Pats are sometimes known to lose second matchups in the playoffs but I cannot imagine it would be to the same gameplan.
Those 2nd matchups were vs teams that went to the SB and were good.

KC is not going to the Super Bowl. Its going to be us or the Squealers.

As far as the front 7 goes, I'm a fan of Harrison, but the development of M. Flowers really excites me.

As far as the front 7 goes, I'm a fan of Harrison, but the development of M. Flowers really excites me.

I wonder if we can kick T. Flowers inside with Harrison on one edge and get everyone on the field together? Lee & M Flowers too. On obvious passing downs.

it will be a totally different team than week 16 when the pats hit the field. On offense, hopefully the additions of Hogan/White/burkhead/Mitchell....that is alot of added weapons.

on defense, having Van noy/harrison/branch back is going to do wonders. You could see how much he was missed with how the defense looked when he was out. Not that the jets have dynamic RB's but that area looked much improved on sunday

Interesting quote from Brady:

Bedard: Tom Brady knows he needs reinforcements for Patriots to be Super

Since then, and especially once Burkhead and White were lost against the Steelers, the offense has changed. Without short-area receivers — Amendola and Lewis are the only two accustomed to that role — Josh McDaniels and Brady have had to morph the Patriots’ passing attack from a quick-throw scheme, to one that featured deeper drops and deeper routes for the receivers. That’s where the weapons they have at their disposal — Gronk, Dorsett, Cooks, and Britt — are at their best. It’s not what Brady does best, but he’s Brady and he can make do. His completion percentage would take a hit, and he’d have to throw a few more dangerous passes, but that’s what the Patriots had to work with. That’s why it has looked so different.

But I expect, once the playoffs start, for the Patriots to be back and running their normal scheme.

IIRC, Tom was one of the top deep ball passers in the league in 2016.

Tom Brady has been one of the best deep ball quarterbacks in the NFL
Including the playoffs, Brady tied for the 2nd most touchdown passes from deep passes (defined as 15+ yards by the NFL) and held the 2nd best passer rating of 127.1 (behind Cowboys rookie QB Dak Prescott: 128.7). Compare that production to other seasons by 39-year-old quarterbacks (2015 Peyton Manning: 67.8; 2008 Brett Favre: 53.1) and it’s clear that Brady’s performance is unprecedented.

IIRC, Tom was one of the top deep ball passers in the league in 2016.

Tom Brady has been one of the best deep ball quarterbacks in the NFL

Yeah but I'd say having Edelman helped a lot with that by taking attention away from the deep throws. Also, I don't know the stats, but sure seems like he's been forced to throw deep a lot more this year, as opposed to last year when he could choose to, and only did in optimal conditions (and to Hogan).

The "Brady can't throw a deep ball anymore" was a myth last year for sure, but this year he has had some misses reminiscent of a few years ago.

Closest I've ever seen him calling out his teammates. He does it indirectly, but it's an acknowledgement that Britt, Dorsett, etc aren't getting the job done.

Maybe instead of saying something like that to the media he should talk to McDaniels & co. It is not like those other players are dropping ball after ball but if they supposedly are not getting their job done then it sounds more like they are being utilized completely wrong.

Maybe instead of saying something like that to the media he should talk to McDaniels & co. It is not like those other players are dropping ball after ball but if they supposedly are not getting their job done then it sounds more like they are being utilized completely wrong.

It's a combination of things. A few drops, a few bad routes, a few misses by Brady, Cooks not being able to get off the jam on the line of scrimmage, and sometimes just good coverage.

I think Brady was just being honest that he's excited to get his trustworthy targets back. He wasn't intentionally calling out the other guys, it just happened indirectly. But I agree with him; this offense looks completely different when healthy Hogan, Burkhead, and White are out there. I'm actually pretty excited about it :)

Here, maybe your friend Matt can help you see the brighter side..;)

Some of us “homers” have been saying the D would improve since the KC debacle on opening night. It’s been a bumpy ride.

it will be a totally different team than week 16 when the pats hit the field. On offense, hopefully the additions of Hogan/White/burkhead/Mitchell....that is alot of added weapons.

on defense, having Van noy/harrison/branch back is going to do wonders. You could see how much he was missed with how the defense looked when he was out. Not that the jets have dynamic RB's but that area looked much improved on sunday

I dunno. They’re much improved but the Jets offense is putrid and Petty missed more than a few open receivers.

For each WR Brady gets back, it helps create favorable matchups against the depth of the opposing secondary. A guy like Amendola will start finding a lot more room against a team's 3rd CB than their 2nd (or 1st, depending how the other team defends Cooks) if a productive Hogan is out there. If Mitchell can also produce, this gets amplified.

Dorsett and Hollister don't make teams pay when they're covered by the 3rd CB or dime safety.

Regards,
Chris

I dunno. They’re much improved but the Jets offense is putrid and Petty missed more than a few open receivers.

The Patriots have played half of the offenses ranked in the top 10 this season, and averaged 21 PPG allowed against them with a record of 4-1 (and this includes the outlier from that debacle in week 1.)

Let's not act like they had a schedule full of trash offenses.

The Patriots have played half of the offenses ranked in the top 10 this season, and averaged 21 PPG allowed against them with a record of 4-1 (and this includes the outlier from that debacle in week 1.)

Let's not act like they had a schedule full of trash offenses.

No one is acting like they had a schedule full of trash offenses. And I think their defense has been getting better and has become especially tough in the red zone.

You just can't really base anything on the Jets game, though. It's the Jets.

here's my team by team AFC rundown:
Steelers - we own them until they actually prove otherwise......they are designed to lose to the pats
Jags - my biggest concern because they can get after the QB, but they've become kind of crappy on the road...fournette is not the same after his injury........I see any kind of cold weather as a disaster for them...turnover machine on the road
Chiefs - it's the chiefs, and it's january......they will wet themselves......titans will give them a hard time.....the best team they have played in the last 10 games is buffalo, and they lost......at home
Bills - mccoy is gimpy, they don't have enough to beat the pats here....they can't stop the run
Titans - good defense........that's it........eric decker is not going to beat us

They’ll be shown in the spotlight if the team plays KC again in the divisional round. The front will have difficulty again with that type of speed. I’d expect KC to run the same game plan, offensively, that they did in Week 1.
I think this defense is completely different from the one that played KC the first time around. They give up way less big plays (that’s what killed us in that game), they play WAY better on D in the Red Zone. Do they give up a lot of yardage ? Yes, but they gave up the 5th least amount of points, 1 point more than Philly (whom I think has an excellent D). Their point differential was amazing too. Beat the Bills (a playoff team) and the Jets by 21 and 20 respectively, WITHOUT Hogan, Burkhead and White, 3 key weapons for Brady. May get Mitchell back too, which makes this a very tough offense to face, so many weapons for Brady, which should help him tremendously as well.

The D gets Branch back (was playing at a 2016 level before he got hurt). KVN should be close to 100%, and an extra 2 weeks practice for Harrison who looked very good on only 4 days practice.

IF we get all those guys back, this will be a VERY tough team to beat. They are very tough to beat even without those guys. The D, since the first 4 games, have given up 13.67 points a game over the last 12. That’s better than last years D (albeit only 12 games vs 16). Brady, Belichick, good D, great recipe.

Another amazing defensive stat. Only 6 teams had more sacks than the Pats. This doesn’t seem to be a dominant defense, yet they gave up the 5th least amount of points (after a HORRID start), and had 42 sacks. Great stat I read today, the Pats were the ONLY team to give up UNDER 20 points a game the last 4 years (each year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back