PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio speculates a Demaryius Thomas to NE trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems unlikely since that would mean that the fourth year of his deal was fully guaranteed.

No offsets on Demaryius Thomas guarantees

Demaryius Thomas gets $35 million fully guaranteed at signing

The full Demaryius Thomas deal

7. $8.5 million non-guaranteed base salary for 2018.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting this from OTC:

"His $13 million salary in 2016 is fully guaranteed and an $8.5 million salary is injury guaranteed and will vest to fully guaranteed in 2017. There is a $4 million option due in 2017 that will buy back the 2018 and 2019 league year. If the option is not exercised the final two years of the contract will void."

Seems that his contract for 2018 (& 2019) couldn't have voided, otherwise he'd be a free agent. Or am I confused again? :)

We can use that 8.5 mill for locating a decent running back and protection for Mr. Brady. In fact, it's hard for me to discuss the offense, when I keep seeing trash for defense.

Thomas' $8.5M salary for 2018 was fully-guaranteed as of last season. The Donkeys save nothing against the cap by cutting him. Their only hope of saving that cap space is via a trade.

"His $13 million salary in 2016 is fully guaranteed and an $8.5 million salary is injury guaranteed and will vest to fully guaranteed in 2017. There is a $4 million option due in 2017 that will buy back the 2018 and 2019 league year. If the option is not exercised the final two years of the contract will void."

Seems that his contract for 2018 (& 2019) couldn't have voided, otherwise he'd be a free agent. Or am I confused again? :)

According to OTC:

Demaryius Thomas Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

There's your cap savings.

"an $8.5 million salary is injury guaranteed and will vest to fully guaranteed in 2017"

His 2017 $8.5 million salary became fully guaranteed after initially being guaranteed for injury only. . Nothing in what you quoted mentions his 2018 salary ever becoming fully guaranteed.

"an $8.5 million salary is injury guaranteed and will vest to fully guaranteed in 2017"

His 2017 $8.5 million salary became fully guaranteed after initially being guaranteed for injury only. . Nothing in what you quoted mentions his 2018 salary ever becoming fully guaranteed.

I stand corrected. I was interpreting the "buyback" option as guaranteeing his 2018 salary.

In that case, the Broncos need to move Thomas before week-1 to avoid his salary becoming guaranteed, correct?

Some have figured it out, and some haven't. That's not really surprising. And, in the case of Thomas, the advantage is that Thomas already played in McDaniels' system.

So did Decker.. who claims the Pats system is much different.

I stand corrected. I was interpreting the "buyback" option as guaranteeing his 2018 salary.

In that case, the Broncos need to move Thomas before week-1 to avoid his salary becoming guaranteed, correct?

Thomas' 2018 salary is now guaranteed for injury since if he suffers a season-ending injury the next two weeks he is going on IR. His 2018 salary becomes fully guaranteed Week 1 because of the termination pay clause.

Lmao. Yeah keep dreaming

So did Decker.. who claims the Pats system is much different.

And BB claims that Decker's gotten the system, and that it's just a matter of getting the timing down.

Decker doesn't look good but for a #4 WR I think he can get the job done, he has a ton of experience and it's not like he is 37 years old. People here for years wanted to sign Anquan Boldin with 44 years to be that big possession receiver just because he torched us once playing for Baltimore.

He seems to be out of shape, not fat, but out of gas, seems like he wasn't doing any workout for a while and is trying to recoup all at once, at 31 it doesn't work like used to with 28.

Decker doesn't look good but for a #4 WR I think he can get the job done, he has a ton of experience and it's not like he is 37 years old. People here for years wanted to sign Anquan Boldin with 44 years to be that big possession receiver just because he torched us once playing for Baltimore.

He seems to be out of shape, not fat, but out of gas, seems like he wasn't doing any workout for a while and is trying to recoup all at once, at 31 it doesn't work like used to with 28.
I'd give him a small chance to make this team based solely on the idea the coaches might think it needs a little time. But there really is nothing from the few weeks he's been here to make us on the outside think he's worth a roster spot.

He can't hold on to the ball, which is not a new problem.

People here for years wanted to sign Anquan Boldin with 44 years to be that big possession receiver just because he torched us once playing for Baltimore.

Not sure what the "with 44 years" means, but ...

I liked Boldin for the Pats, primarily for two reasons:
- he still produced a 1,000-yard season at age 33. And at age 34. At age 35 he produced only 789 yards, but then he missed two games (in his 30s, he missed a total of 5 games out of 112).
- his playing style was very physical; he was an excellent blocker. Patterson, and even Edelman, come way closer to Boldin's style of play than Decker does.

None of which had anything whatsoever to do with Boldin torching the Pats "once playing for Baltimore".

And BB claims that Decker's gotten the system, and that it's just a matter of getting the timing down.

He was doing so well he retired...

He was doing so well he retired...
What's with all the veteran WRs coming to Foxborough for a few weeks every summer then throwing in the towel. I'm thinking the Gillette lunch buffet is a major attraction but they run out of punches on their meal card.
What else could it be?
They get to go up against NE's vaunted Bend 'n Break defense in practice every afternoon so they must feel like superstars by the time practice is over.
Is it the overplayed Bon Jovi mix tape that drives these guys out?
The after-practice hill run?

What's with all the veteran WRs coming to Foxborough for a few weeks every summer then throwing in the towel. I'm thinking the Gillette lunch buffet is a major attraction but they run out of punches on their meal card.
What else could it be?
They get to go up against NE's vaunted Bend 'n Break defense in practice every afternoon so they must feel like superstars by the time practice is over.
Is it the overplayed Bon Jovi mix tape that drives these guys out?
The after-practice hill run?
I think Hogans interview this month hit that nail on the head.
He said Brady expects and demands you get better everyday.
As does Belichick.
For a veteran who has always gotten by with his natutal talent being enough a player on the downside of his physical peak combined with enough money to be happy already combined with the modest money they are making here equals this isnt worth all the work Im going to retire.
Which is what makes Tom Julian Chris Gronk special.
They are crazy about winning and getting better l.

I think Hogans interview this month hit that nail on the head.
He said Brady expects and demands you get better everyday.
As does Belichick.
For a veteran who has always gotten by with his natutal talent being enough a player on the downside of his physical peak combined with enough money to be happy already combined with the modest money they are making here equals this isnt worth all the work Im going to retire.
Which is what makes Tom Julian Chris Gronk special.
They are crazy about winning and getting better l.

I think if Decker came here right after his Broncos stint he would have been absolutely fine. Now he was already in a point of his career where that fire had gone and took his physical skills with it. Otherwise would have never been available in the middle of camp for a guaranteed sum of 75k.

The older players get the more they have to grind to even just maintaining their level. He simply didn't have it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back