PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Florio speculates a Demaryius Thomas to NE trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dorsett caught everything thrown to him tonight. Brady shows confidence in him. You Dorsett haters are going to be disappointed I think.

Consistency my friend that’s what you wanna see from dorsett. It’s one game and people are already going crazy about him being a factor in the offense.

My memory is a bit foggy but I seem to recall Thomas coming up very small in the last post season contest between NE and Denver...to the point where I labeled him as a quitter without heart or hands.
More recently, his game no longer screams #1 WR...and if these rumors have any truth....Denver agrees
Lastly....his big WR skill set does not match NE's traditional WR mold = quick twitch/dime cutting/separation creator.
And paying this guy Gronk money while other Pats WRs earn a fraction......??
But desperate times do force desperate moves.
Not sure NE is there yet

My memory is a bit foggy but I seem to recall Thomas coming up very small in the last post season contest between NE and Denver...to the point where I labeled him as a quitter without heart or hands.
More recently, his game no longer screams #1 WR...and if these rumors have any truth....Denver agrees
Lastly....his big WR skill set does not match NE's traditional WR mold = quick twitch/dime cutting/separation creator.
And paying this guy Gronk money while other Pats WRs earn a fraction......??
But desperate times do force desperate moves.
Not sure NE is there yet

The guy got over 900 yards last season with crappy QB play. You must think dorsett finally grasped this offense.

You put him on this team and the key players (Brady, Edelman, Gronk, Hightower, McCourty, Gilmore) stay (relatively) healthy, this team is a juggernaut.
We are always a juggernaut.

Belichick always takes away the other team's top strength. His heart is probably not as big as Edelman's, but don't take a lack of production against us a necessarily bad thing.

Consistency my friend that’s what you wanna see from dorsett. It’s one game and people are already going crazy about him being a factor in the offense.
You’re acting like we didn’t see 12 training camp practices worth of Dorsett running with the starters. There’s bound to be some experimentation over those few weeks, but his role was extremely consistent from start to finish. Among WRs, only Hogan caught more passes from Brady than Dorsett did in open practices.

The guy got over 900 yards last season with crappy QB play. You must think dorsett finally grasped this offense.
Thomas averaged 3 YAC last season....53rd in the league (all pass catchers).
Out of top 30 WRs in total yards, Thomas was 29th in YPC
His current body of work most resembles Larry Fitzgerald's recent stats....an oversized possession WR. Nothing wrong with that comparison. Move the chains WRs are necessary and big targets make the QB's job easier.
But these stats and my eyes tell me Thomas is no longer the down field threat and never a quick cut separation creator that Pats value.
At $8.5 mill, apparently Denver does not value as much his current skill set.
PS......What Dorsett can or can't do has zero impact on my opinion of Thomas

His current body of work most resembles Larry Fitzgerald's recent stats....an oversized possession WR. Nothing wrong with that comparison. Move the chains WRs are necessary and big targets make the QB's job easier.
But these stats and my eyes tell me Thomas is no longer the down field threat and never a quick cut separation creator that Pats value.

That’s not true at all. The guy can still get plenty of separation.

Thomas' $8.5M salary for 2018 was fully-guaranteed as of last season. The Donkeys save nothing against the cap by cutting him. Their only hope of saving that cap space is via a trade.
This makes the rumor make a little more sense now. They have to trade him which
We should trade for Fitz:D

Dorsett caught everything thrown to him tonight. Brady shows confidence in him. You Dorsett haters are going to be disappointed I think.
Sick to my stomach. Nothing would pain me more than Dorsett catching the game winning pass in the Super Bowl. Guy probably has no idea we have no more room for banners.

Sick to my stomach. Nothing would pain me more than Dorsett catching the game winning pass in the Super Bowl. Guy probably has no idea we have no more room for banners.

I mean he was inches away from the Hail Mary against the Eagles.

Decker is not showing anything, other than drops and cannot get open! He is no longer viable.

I think signing Dez for 1yr-prove-it (and he will) should be the WR replacement. He at least catches the ball plus his motivation to prove everyone wrong. He won't be trouble.

Thomas contract is too expensive. Dez would be a bit over vet minimum.

IMO

If we are bringing in a name at receiver we should do it asap.
Tom and him need to be on the same page.

Decker is not showing anything, other than drops and cannot get open! He is no longer viable.

I think signing Dez for 1yr-prove-it (and he will) should be the WR replacement. He at least catches the ball plus his motivation to prove everyone wrong. He won't be trouble.

Thomas contract is too expensive. Dez would be a bit over vet minimum.

IMO
If Dez has turned down $5 million from the Browns, then you’re not getting him for 30% of that. I don’t know how much a better situation offsets lower pay, but there’s no reason to think it’s anywhere near minimum salary.

The expections of trading for another receiver are hard to fathom.. how many accomplished WR's have come here and not been able to pick up the offense. Chad Ochocinco, Joey Galloway and Reggie Wayne immediately come to mind..

Some have figured it out, and some haven't. That's not really surprising. And, in the case of Thomas, the advantage is that Thomas already played in McDaniels' system.

Thomas' $8.5M salary for 2018 was fully-guaranteed as of last season. The Donkeys save nothing against the cap by cutting him. Their only hope of saving that cap space is via a trade.

This seems unlikely since that would mean that the fourth year of his deal was fully guaranteed.

No offsets on Demaryius Thomas guarantees

Demaryius Thomas gets $35 million fully guaranteed at signing

The full Demaryius Thomas deal

7. $8.5 million non-guaranteed base salary for 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back