PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Five reasons to expect the Pats to favor a spread offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the pats go to a spread as its base, then Kyle Brady better be joined at the hip to "Pro Bowl" LT Matt Light; otherwise Tom Brady will finish the season on IR.

This is just RIDICULOUS. Try watching a full season every now and then.

Last edited:
This is just RIDICULOUS. Try watching a full season every now and then.

Would you care to elaborate on why my statement is ridiculous?

p.s.: Why must some of your rebuttals include a put-down?

Remember, medicine goes down better with honey than with vinegar.

If the pats go to a spread as its base, then Kyle Brady better be joined at the hip to "Pro Bowl" LT Matt Light; otherwise Tom Brady will finish the season on IR.

Like the game against San Diego where Merriman was all over Brady? Watch the friggin games and stop picking on Light.

If the Patriots really are interested in Lorenzo Booker he would be awsome as a third down back/WR, especially from the spread, because he can do so many differen't things.

The real goal is to build a FLEXIBLE O that can be configured to attack and defeat any D they face. Runs against some then, pass against others or be balanced, whatever gives us the best chance to win the game.

The real goal is to build a FLEXIBLE O that can be configured to attack and defeat any D they face. Runs against some then, pass against others or be balanced, whatever gives us the best chance to win the game.

Yes, but:

A. Spread worked better than power last year (and most years before that).
B. The talent shift this offseason has been away from power and towards spread.

Last edited:
Here's a novel thought:

The capabilities of the offensive line (and the moves -- or lack of moves -- that we make on the OL in draft and free agency) have more to do with the way this team will run it's offense than the receiver corps.

He's completely right.

Light only had one real bad game against Taylor and thats about it.

BTW Taylor was Defensive MVP last season.

Please see Kurtinelson's reply.

Also, how about any of the numerous other posts where people talk about the fact that Light was recovering last year from a serious leg injury that he suffered the year before that required 3 surgeries? These are NOT obscure things and have been talked about at length numerous times.

Now, as far as my rebuttals go, I tend to be blunt. I think beating around the bush and kissing arse is best left to lawyers and politicians. Of which, I am neither. If you are looking for someone to soothe your ego when you say something that shows an obvious lack of thought, talk to a shrink. Its not my job to soothe your ego because you posted something that clearly wasn't the case during the season.

Here's a novel thought:

The capabilities of the offensive line (and the moves -- or lack of moves -- that we make on the OL in draft and free agency) have more to do with the way this team will run it's offense than the receiver corps.

The offensive line isn't changing much. It has youth, signed long-term, with continuity.

Except, of course, for the revolving door at RT; as I've previously noted, being opening day RT for the Pats is like being #2 on The Prisoner. But even there I expect nothing more than a rearrangement of the three candidates already on the roster.

I also would look to the fact that we let Dillon go for nothing a sign that we are shifting towards a much more wide open offense. This would make a lot of sense, since it's always a good idea to model the offense around the formations prefered by our best player.

As for the other Brady, it seems pretty obvious that he will be used as a blocking tight end, since statistically he has never really been a great receiver. He did sign during the first day of free agency so it seems that BB really likes him in that role.

Mike Shanahan on Kyle Brady: "He's the best blocking tight end in football.''---http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/03/11/mmqb/4.html

Last edited:
Speaking of Shanahan, we should all start reviewing the intricacies of "zone blocking", as I suspect this is the direction our O-line is being developed. IIRC, Shanahan was miffed we drafted Maroney, and now, he's heaping praise on K. Brady. Morris also seems the sort of quick-hit back for a zone blocking scheme.
Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes