PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First 3 picks next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
we dont specifically need an ILB..any LB spot is fine because Vrabel is expandable.

Patrick Willis, Rufus Alexander, or Paul Posluszny for the 1st pick.
Landry, Leon Hall for the 2nd first round pick
and maybe another linebacker or WR for the 2nd rounder, i was thinking Harris, the MLB from Michigan, he's playing great this season. Maybe even LaMarr Woodley from Michigan, he can play DE or OLB.

but if they take a WR in the 2nd round, i say Ginn (if he's still available) or maybe Dwayne Jarrett or Steve Smith from USC.

then later in the draft, maybe pick up Weddle (i don't know his first name, but he plays for Utah, and he can play CB and safety)

wow, i'm having fun going over all these possibilities, but here's another one:

1st round - some kind of linebacker, don't care who.
1st round (2nd) - Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Jarrett, Jeff Samardzija, Ted Ginn
2nd round - Tom Zbikowski, Leon Hall (don't think he'll be available however), Antoine Cason, Eric Weddle

Last edited:
It seems like LB and SS/CB are the biggest needs that we need to fill with the 2 first round picks.
Best athlete in the 2nd round...WR,OL,DL

whats with the OL/DL in 2nd..okay maybe OL if Koppen leaves but DL? Seymour..Warren..Green..Wilfork isnt good enough?

we got more needs than to take a DL early.

Well; from what I have seen so far this year..
Not enought pass rush from the DL
Not enoght holes opened on running plays..

Denver has a smaller faster defense yet we couldn't rush very well. We should have been able to pound them with a bigger line
You win on the lines imo.......

drafting another d-lineman would do us no good. Koppen won't leave, i'm pretty sure of it. and other than that, we have one of the best d-line's in the NFL right now.

but say Koppen does leave, we can get a pretty decent center in the 3rd or fourth rounds, or maybe we could trade for hank fraley who's with the Browns because Lacharles Bentley is injured this year. there are better things to do with a 2nd round draft pick then to upgrade a d-line that is almost un-upgradeable, haha.

but other than that, a lot of people were suggesting d-lineman that can maybe play OLB and DE in the 3-4. i think that's the main reason.

Last edited:
carolinatony said:
Well; from what I have seen so far this year..
Not enought pass rush from the DL
Not enoght holes opened on running plays..

Denver has a smaller faster defense yet we couldn't rush very well. We should have been able to pound them with a bigger line
You win on the lines imo.......

okay..so a 2nd rounder is going to replace 2 first rounders .. a multi time Pro Bowler and supposivly "our best DLineman so far in Warren" they are locked up long term..and as DE in 3-4..your mostly going to open up the hole for LB to bltiz through..i dont know why you think 300+ pound guy is supposed to be the primary pass rusher. We've done it before..were not getting enough pressure yes but its not so bad where we need to replace Sey or Warren now or anytime soon

Underoath said:
drafting another d-lineman would do us no good. Koppen won't leave, i'm pretty sure of it. and other than that, we have one of the best d-line's in the NFL right now.

but say Koppen does leave, we can get a pretty decent center in the 3rd or fourth rounds, or maybe we could trade for hank fraley who's with the Browns because Lacharles Bentley is injured this year. there are better things to do with a 2nd round draft pick then to upgrade a d-line that is almost un-upgradeable, haha.

but other than that, a lot of people were suggesting d-lineman that can maybe play OLB and DE in the 3-4. i think that's the main reason.

if he meant DL then he could of mentioned a DE-OLB i guess..but hes saying were not getting enough pass rush so i assume DE spot because he said "we need LB/S first then a DL. If he said LB then why mention DL if the LB we get is likely 3-4 anyways wether its a guy whos big enough to play it or a DE moving

What I want to see is a impact player on defense. A LB who can also rush the QB. Brushi and Co are getting older and a bit slower.
Some have said this is a week draft so..
Would you trade up to get a stud if he was available?

carolinatony said:
What I want to see is a impact player on defense. A LB who can also rush the QB. Brushi and Co are getting older and a bit slower.
Some have said this is a week draft so..
Would you trade up to get a stud if he was available?

i would. at any position too.

if we really want a WR..and Calvin is somehow past top 10. id trade up
if we really want a LB..and Gaines Adams is avaible..id trade up for him to play OLB for us

other than that..i probably wouldnt. unless we really see something in someone

Remix 6 said:
find me links to where people are saying hes the best SS. a lot of these safeties play both. watch him play and stop riding on the weiss + quinn wagon

Safeties:
Landry
Meriweather
Griffin
Weddle
Rouse
Zbiowski might be ahead Rouse but doubt it

Landry is a free-safety. As is Merriweather. So, why are you even bothering to mention them.

Rouse, Griffin, and Weddle are rated behind Zbikowski based on NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM. I'll take their word over random fans you happen to throw up on the board.

Now, looking at GBN, we see something different. They have Zbikowski rated as a free safety and not a strong safety. And they do rate Meriweather, Griffen and Rouse ahead of Zbikowski, but Weddle behind him.

Cooney's service is used by the NFL. Is it always right? Nope, but no one is and the season is only half done. It remains to be seen where they end up.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
Landry is a free-safety. As is Merriweather. So, why are you even bothering to mention them.

Rouse, Griffin, and Weddle are rated behind Zbikowski based on NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM. I'll take their word over random fans you happen to throw up on the board.

Now, looking at GBN, we see something different. They have Zbikowski rated as a free safety and not a strong safety. And they do rate Meriweather, Griffen and Rouse ahead of Zbikowski, but Weddle behind him.

Cooney's service is used by the NFL. Is it always right? Nope, but no one is and the season is only half done. It remains to be seen where they end up.

As sexy as a Safety is I don't see it as a priority need on day 1 of the draft (this pretty much assures they will take a Safety, maybe more than one). Players signed for next year include Harrison, Wilson, Hawkins, Andrews, Sanders, T. Jones & Mitchell . Not exactly Ronnie Lott or Ed Reed but with 7 players signed at the position it lessons the need to draft a first day player.

Right now my money is on CB & ILB or a OLB/DE and WR for rounds 1 & 2.

okay...Harrison was a FS before he came here..we released Milloy and hmm...Harrison moved to SS. Its very common for Safeties to play both..Free Safety is like a weakside linebacker..hes the weakside safety...just doesnt have to do as much tackling and usually you use the better cover guy or the 1 who isnt as good against run. Strong has to play run more. So dont say Landry isnt a SS..its just where they use him and he can easily play SS because he can actually tackle

Remix 6 said:
okay...Harrison was a FS before he came here..we released Milloy and hmm...Harrison moved to SS. Its very common for Safeties to play both..Free Safety is like a weakside linebacker..hes the weakside safety...just doesnt have to do as much tackling and usually you use the better cover guy or the 1 who isnt as good against run. Strong has to play run more. So dont say Landry isnt a SS..its just where they use him and he can easily play SS because he can actually tackle

Remix, sorry to burst your bubble, but you have some facts wrong. Rodney Harrison played Strong Safety in San Diego. When the Patriots signed him, much was made about the fact the Pats would have TWO strong safeties playing. The release of Milloy changed that.

The difference between being a strong safety and a free safety is, as you said, about being able to cover or being able to stop the run. Tackling is a KEY item for both. Could Landry be a Strong Safety? I don't know. From what I know of him, he's much better in coverage and though he can tackle, getting his nose in there to stuff the run isn't his forte.

DaBruinz said:
Rodney Harrison played Strong Safety in San Diego. When the Patriots signed him, much was made about the fact the Pats would have TWO strong safeties playing. The release of Milloy changed that.

And a couple of years ago Belicichick was interested in John Lynch but Lynch chose the ponies instead. There was a big :confused: about how Lynch and Harrison could play together - I'm guessing Belichick would have made it work.

As far as I'm concerned as long as the safety can hit and tackle, the better the coverage abilities the better. I don't care if he's a SS or FS. Can he cover, hit, tackle ?

Rodney was scheduled to play FS for us while Milloy at SS..Milloy would of been here if the money got set

For those brief few days we had Milloy and Harrison at SS at the same time. BB said the safeties would play a split field, so it would not be a problem having 2 SS on the field at the same time.
I had the feeling BB relished it because it gave him a chance for some truly exotic 3-1-7 looks for the defense. Only 1 LB because of the presence of Milloy and Harrison.

I think we should get a LB with the age of ours and something in the secondary....FS..SS...CB?
BB will suprise us with the 3rd pick I think.

Watching Bledsoe get sacked for a safety I would like to see us draft another OL next year.
I keep saying you win on the lines. When the Cowboys won their SB's they had a great OL.
Be nice to see those holes being opened for Maroney in the future.

carolinatony said:
Watching Bledsoe get sacked for a safety I would like to see us draft another OL next year.
I keep saying you win on the lines. When the Cowboys won their SB's they had a great OL.
Be nice to see those holes being opened for Maroney in the future.
Whats so wrong with our line now?

Its actually very solid and our backups are more than adequate to replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft