PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First 3 picks next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's wrong with our line?

We have struggled Running at times this year. I think we all agree we could run better.
If available I would like to see a great running guard on the line.
Its the same old story..You win on the lines.

Re: First 3 picks next year? make it first 4 rounds

Feeling a little crazy today.. I will guess at the first four rounds.

1A) Zach Miller, TE Arizona, 6'5 260, 4.75
- excellent receiver and blocker, best TE available in the next two drafts
1B) Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina, 6'4, 205, 4.5
- third-year sophomore, draft elligible
- has even played a little free safety ala Troy Brown
2) Aaron Ross, CB, Texas 6'0 192, 4.45
- great athelete, starting experience at top school
- has experience as a returner and on special teams coverage
3) Kareem Brown, DT, Miami, 6'4 315, 5.05
- this guy is a beast, not involved in the brawl as far I as could tell
- potential to be a dominant end in a 3-4 and big enough to play inside in a 4-3
4) Anthony Waters, ILB, Clemson, 6'3 242, 4.6
- coming off an injury, should be healed by the draft
- was a 1st round talent, could be a steal if available in later rounds

carolinatony said:
What's wrong with our line?

We have struggled Running at times this year. I think we all agree we could run better.
Ugh once again huh?

We're sixth in the league in rushing.

The only teams above us are:
Atlanta - Vick and Dunn
Giants - Tiki and Jacobs
Chargers - Tomlinson and Turner
Denver - Tatum Bell
Dallas - Marion Barber III and Julius Jones

Those are some impressive running teams.
I dont know what you expect we average 131 yards a game rushing.

carolinatony said:
In addition to what Sean said, we have a #1 pick at LG who we're happy with and paid Neal fairly big money ro resign at RG. The chance of replacing on of them next year, barring injury, is very small.

Re: First 3 picks next year? make it first 4 rounds

cstjohn17 said:
Feeling a little crazy today.. I will guess at the first four rounds.

1A) Zach Miller, TE Arizona, 6'5 260, 4.75
- excellent receiver and blocker, best TE available in the next two drafts

Like a moth to a flame for BB, I'm sure. [Though, come to think of it, who's the moth here? :) ]

I think we'll take

Hall or McCauley in 1st

Steve Smith WR in 2nd or 3rd
Dan Bauzin DE/OLB in 3rd
Josh Gattis S in 3rd or 4th
MLB David Harris in 4th or 5th

I doubt we resign Samuel and may not resign Graham due to injuries.

mcbee said:
I think we'll take

Hall or McCauley in 1st

Steve Smith WR in 2nd or 3rd
Dan Bauzin DE/OLB in 3rd
Josh Gattis S in 3rd or 4th
MLB David Harris in 4th or 5th

I doubt we resign Samuel and may not resign Graham due to injuries.

I like all those picks, Hall may be gone by the time we pick in the 1st. Who would you choose with the second first round pick?

cstjohn17 said:
I like all those picks, Hall may be gone by the time we pick in the 1st. Who would you choose with the second first round pick?

I'm not sure, maybe another CB like Antoine Cason or Daymeion Hughes. Or another CB later in the draft. It always seems you can get good safeties from guys who are too small to play LB and not quick enough to be a CB, so I wouldn't draft one really high.

I think we'll keep Graham unless he has long term shoulder problems and dump Samuel. He'll be too expensive to justify. Someone else will pay him 5M average most likely. Pretty incredible.

It's difficult to say "draft a OL high so we can run" when there's no guarantee he'd be better than the Neal or Mankins, who himself was a 1st round pick.

Maybe Spencer from Purdue in the 4th also as a OLB.

OK... maybe I am wrong BUT
In the Denver game we couldn't run the ball. Come the playoffs we need to run the ball.
Maybe once the passing game gets better the running game will open up more. I still love a great OL and would love to see us take another John Hannah in the draft if there is one like him.

I like the idea of taking a CB high in the draft, the position demands a lot of atheticism and the good ones usually get gobbled up fast. It would be great if Samuels were locked up and it will take close to $5 per year based on similar contracts. I think he is on an upward trend, if he can be locked up and one more quality CB can be added through the draft our secondary will be very very solid.

Baxter, Cleveland - 6 years, $30 M, $10M bonus, YOB 1978
Williams, Jacksonville, 6 years, $34M, $10M bonus, YOB 1979
R.W. McQuarters, Giants - 3 years, $6M , $2M bonus, YOB 1976
Ike Taylor, Pittsburgh - 4 years, $22.5M, $6.4 bonus, YOB 1980
Deshea Townsend, Pittsburgh - 4 years, $8M, $2 bonus, YOB 1975
Lito Shepperd, Eagles - 5 years, $25M, $9 bonus, YOB 1981
Sheldon Brown, Eagles - 6 years, $30M, $7 bonus, YOB 1979

Samuels - ???? - YOB 1981

Oh yah, if a Hall of fame player like John Hannah, Jonathan Odgen. Munoz or Orlando Pace is available at the end of round 1 please take him...

mcbee said:
I'm not sure, maybe another CB like Antoine Cason or Daymeion Hughes. Or another CB later in the draft. It always seems you can get good safeties from guys who are too small to play LB and not quick enough to be a CB, so I wouldn't draft one really high.

I think we'll keep Graham unless he has long term shoulder problems and dump Samuel. He'll be too expensive to justify. Someone else will pay him 5M average most likely. Pretty incredible.

It's difficult to say "draft a OL high so we can run" when there's no guarantee he'd be better than the Neal or Mankins, who himself was a 1st round pick.

Maybe Spencer from Purdue in the 4th also as a OLB.

Last edited:
carolinatony said:
OK... maybe I am wrong BUT
In the Denver game we couldn't run the ball. Come the playoffs we need to run the ball.
Maybe once the passing game gets better the running game will open up more. I still love a great OL and would love to see us take another John Hannah in the draft if there is one like him.
In the Denver game the gameplan for Denver was let Brady pass put 8 to 9 men in the box. Effectively it stopped the run because they didnt respect the passing game.

It was a good strategy that worked unfortunately.

SeanBruschi54 said:
In the Denver game the gameplan for Denver was let Brady pass put 8 to 9 men in the box. Effectively it stopped the run because they didnt respect the passing game.

It was a good strategy that worked unfortunately.

Denver's coaches are no dummies, in the playoffs late year they did the reverse. They didn't respect the running game (and why would they it was terrible) and blitzed the heck out of us. Eventually we moved the ball but they blitzed less after Bailey's interception... I hate that play...

The key for the Patriots and most teams is to have balance, unless you are truly dominant in one area it is very difficult to win if one area is much weaker than the other. So far this season it is a work in progress, the passing game is trending up and the running game remains inconsistent. Nothing should be read too much into one game, the hope is that at the end of the year the Pats can game plan the offense based on the opponent.

I hate to be a downer but I can't figure the Pats out enough to even venture a guess.

I would say no DL (based on depth) but we were supposedly very interested in Ngata last year.

I would say no LB (based on history) but we were supposedly very interested in Vilma a few years ago.

I would say no OG (based on value) but Logan Mankins says "Hi".

I would say no RB (based on value) but Maroney says "Hi".

I would say no WR (based on value) but Chad Jackson was just a few picks from a #1 pick.

I would say no S (based on value) but Belichick loves to build front to back and inside to out.

Who the hell knows.

BelichickFan said:
I hate to be a downer but I can't figure the Pats out enough to even venture a guess.

I would say no DL (based on depth) but we were supposedly very interested in Ngata last year.

I would say no LB (based on history) but we were supposedly very interested in Vilma a few years ago.

I would say no OG (based on value) but Logan Mankins says "Hi".

I would say no RB (based on value) but Maroney says "Hi".

I would say no WR (based on value) but Chad Jackson was just a few picks from a #1 pick.

I would say no S (based on value) but Belichick loves to build front to back and inside to out.

Who the hell knows.
I wouldnt say No to safety if Laron Landry or MIchael Griffin were there. They are two heavy hitters who can play the pass and help the run game. Something that Belichick covets very much.

SeanBruschi54 said:
I wouldnt say No to safety if Laron Landry or MIchael Griffin were there. They are two heavy hitters who can play the pass and help the run game. Something that Belichick covets very much.
Believe me, I wouldn't either. I was just saying that some people would say "Belichick would never "waste" a #1 pick on a Safety". Just like he wouldn't on an OG ;)

Griffin is also a kick ass special teams guy.

I guess I am with the majority here. A taller (over 6 ft.) corner, a fast linebacker, and a run-stopping safety would be my first three choices. Which gets picked in which round depends on the board, and usually the need to develop lb's more slowly in the system.

The Pat's first concern is to get faster in the back 7/8.

I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted a tight end in those first 3.

No TE in the first 3 picks. Lets get a OG that can run block. Lets open the line for our running game.
If you have a good OL we don't have to hear about how hard it is to run again a good defense.
Even watch the Chiefs a few years back when they just knocked people off the line including the ravens on a Monday night game. They were good but just had no defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes