PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Final Decisions - Probably Already Made

Dowling has bonus money of $1,446,572 that has yet to hit the cap books. This amount doesn't change whether we cut him or not. What changes is the timing of the cap hits, which, given the new rules, is almost irrelevant (with the carry forwards). This money is gone. There are no decisions.

Dowling is also due a salary of $732,190. This is discretionary and avoidable. From an economic perspective (and from a football perspective) if anyone can be found who will play for that amount, we should sign him if the projected value to the team is more than Dowling's projected value.

I have simplified. We have other choice with regard to Dowling. We could put him on IR or in-season IR and pay him a reduced salary without costing an immediate roster spot.

Still costs more to cut him

If we think that Dowling has any future, we will retain his rights. I don't agree that this is a no-coster. There is some cost this year and next.

It is obvious that you’re not high on Dowling which is fine; I myself am not particularly high on him either, but we did invest the 33rd overall pick in him 3 drafts ago, we are on the books for him either way for all but $177,190 against the cap in 2013, so I cannot really see a logical reason to outright release him, risk having him sign on with contender if he becomes healthy at midseason and end up having him be a factor in us potentially losing. It is not a question of fear it is a question of strategy, you own a talented players rights, he is injured you do not just send him off to pastor for the sake of doing it. That is simplistic this franchise is the most strategic franchise in the NFL from a player personnel perspective, we maintain players rights all the time whether or not they will contribute that season or ever, Myron Pryor, Will Allen, Donte Stallworth, Spencer Larsen, Jeff Demps all could have been released last season instead of going to IR, none of them currently are on this roster so obviously it was not about what they could do in the future, it was about Allen not ending up back with the Dolphins, or Larsen not ending up back in Denver.

Either way we see things differently, you may end up being right, or the more likely thing is that whatever injury Dowling is dealing with is no different than Dennard’s and he will be on the 53 man roster and contribute in some factor to the success of the team in 2013, in which case this debate will be a moot point. So with that in mind I’m going to show you the respect I feel you deserve as an extremely active and knowledgeable member in here whom I truly enjoy reading the opinions of by not beating a dead horse and moving off this topic.

Where is the evidence that Tebow is a more of "good people" than is Bolden? What do you know of Bolden that would have you say this?

I know that this wasn't really the focus of your post, but since you asked...Bolden was suspended in college for violations of team rules, and in the NFL for PEDs. Character questions were a major reason he went undrafted. Some quotes:

"Is immature and needs to learn what it means to be a pro."

"Most questions about Bolden come from his past suspensions, not his ability to carry the ball."

"Bolden was suspended for one game last season due to skipping a practice prior to playing Alabama and many scouts feel that he lacks maturity, leading to questions about his commitment to the game."

Thank you for the kind comments. I agree that we may keep rights to Dowling by putting him one of the IR lists. As patchick has pointed out, this may depend on whether the current injury is a recovery of one of the old ones. I agree that we should not undervalue potential, and that we do put players on IR to reserve our rights. Some of these players turn out being worth the wait, usually not.

It is obvious that you’re not high on Dowling which is fine; I myself am not particularly high on him either, but we did invest the 33rd overall pick in him 3 drafts ago, we are on the books for him either way for all but $177,190 against the cap in 2013, so I cannot really see a logical reason to outright release him, risk having him sign on with contender if he becomes healthy at midseason and end up having him be a factor in us potentially losing. It is not a question of fear it is a question of strategy, you own a talented players rights, he is injured you do not just send him off to pastor for the sake of doing it. That is simplistic this franchise is the most strategic franchise in the NFL from a player personnel perspective, we maintain players rights all the time whether or not they will contribute that season or ever, Myron Pryor, Will Allen, Donte Stallworth, Spencer Larsen, Jeff Demps all could have been released last season instead of going to IR, none of them currently are on this roster so obviously it was not about what they could do in the future, it was about Allen not ending up back with the Dolphins, or Larsen not ending up back in Denver.

Either way we see things differently, you may end up being right, or the more likely thing is that whatever injury Dowling is dealing with is no different than Dennard’s and he will be on the 53 man roster and contribute in some factor to the success of the team in 2013, in which case this debate will be a moot point. So with that in mind I’m going to show you the respect I feel you deserve as an extremely active and knowledgeable member in here whom I truly enjoy reading the opinions of by not beating a dead horse and moving off this topic.

Thank you for the kind comments. I agree that we may keep rights to Dowling by putting him one of the IR lists. As patchick has pointed out, this may depend on whether the current injury is a recovery of one of the old ones. I agree that we should not undervalue potential, and that we do put players on IR to reserve our rights. Some of these players turn out being worth the wait, usually not.

I think much like me you’re frustrated with Dowling because he was the 33rd overall pick in the draft and it is annoying when you see him not even be able to play on in preseason game 3 years into his NFL career, so honestly I don’t blame you or anyone else for thinking he may be cut, especially when you see a guy like Richard Sherman go 2 rounds later and propel into the top 2 in the NFL at his position, I mean how can you not be annoyed when you think of Sherman having more career interceptions than Dowling has career combined tackles. I just think the worst possible scenario would be him adding insult to that injury by us cutting him, to have him latch on with the Broncos in week 8 and contribute, so maybe I’m making my determination on that fear. Either way like I said you’ve taught me more about football in my 3 months as a member than I knew in my lifetime so I’m not going to beat the horse just for the sake of beating it. Have a good night buddy :)

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back