PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Filling holes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smith is a complete deuche who beat the hell out of two seperate teammates and his best days are long past.

When did every issue have to be resolved by signing the biggest name out there? It seems fans have forgotten that player's first seasons aren't the peak of their career arc. :rolleyes:

Moss and Dillon were both brought in when the team had a championship caliber locker room. What has BB during this recent rebuild that indicates he want to bring in a declining arrogant deuche?

Smith has shown some leadership qualities and the guy is very passionate about football. He would play for us in a heartbeat even if he has said that he hates us. The guy wants a ring.

I'm not gonna say he is declining too just because of the situation he is in. No WR in the league would've put up decent numbers in that offense last year. I think he still has the speed to stretch the field for us.

Smith has shown some leadership qualities and the guy is very passionate about football. He would play for us in a heartbeat even if he has said that he hates us. The guy wants a ring.

I'm not gonna say he is declining too just because of the situation he is in. No WR in the league would've put up decent numbers in that offense last year. I think he still has the speed to stretch the field for us.

*cough* Welker, Miami, 2006 *cough*

Last edited:
*cough* Welker, Miami, 2006 *cough*

Oh yeah...he was really tearing **** up and i really don't get the comparison..

Dolphins were 6-10 with experienced QB's vs 2-14 Panthers with a rookie 2nd round QB playing absolutely horrible.

Smith is the antithesis of what BB has been looking for the past couple years. He aint coming here.

Smith is the antithesis of what BB has been looking for the past couple years. He aint coming here.
These are strong words. If I had to make a prediction I would say it won't happen, but never say never with Belichick. I think Smith to the Patriots could work under certain circumstances. He is a supremely competitive guy who could do well in the highly competitve enviroment the Patriots create. His skillset would make him a wondeful fit for this offense, and if he is on a one year "prove it" deal that would create a significant detterent to him starting any nonsense.

I don't think he is a bad guy. I know two fights with teammates is a pretty damning inditement, I just don't think he would cause problems here.

The reason I don't think it will happen is because I don't think the risk would be worth more than a 3rd rounder. Also, Smith would have to agree to a restructuring. I think it's more likely that another team (Chargers have been rumored) would give up more and be willing to keep him on his current deal.

I think Smith to the Patriots could work under certain circumstances.

Smith is a fair-weather guy. When everything is going right (role, production, wins, individual accolades, contract, etc), he is the kind of guy you want on your team. When any of those areas isn't where he wants it to be, Smith has no problem being a disruptive presence in the locker room and in the media.

Actually I take that back. He doesn't seem to be as bothered by a lack of team success. That alone should disqualify him from the Pats. In fact, I'm not sure I could think of a worse person to throw in with the impressionable next-gen players that need to be learning from Brady, Mayo and Wilfork.

These are strong words. If I had to make a prediction I would say it won't happen, but never say never with Belichick. I think Smith to the Patriots could work under certain circumstances. He is a supremely competitive guy who could do well in the highly competitve enviroment the Patriots create. His skillset would make him a wondeful fit for this offense, and if he is on a one year "prove it" deal that would create a significant detterent to him starting any nonsense.

I don't think he is a bad guy. I know two fights with teammates is a pretty damning inditement, I just don't think he would cause problems here.

The reason I don't think it will happen is because I don't think the risk would be worth more than a 3rd rounder. Also, Smith would have to agree to a restructuring. I think it's more likely that another team (Chargers have been rumored) would give up more and be willing to keep him on his current deal.

I hear what you are saying, and believe me, I was Smith's biggest fan in 2005. The whole world had forgotten how good he was due to missing almost the entire 2004 season but I remembered. Got him at a pretty nice discount in every fantasy league and won them all because of it.

The guy is passionate and he was even better than people realize because for years he was the only target and saw double and triple teams as a result. Still, he single-handedly made Delhomme look good and up serious numbers. I'd love to have his physical skill set on the team.

All that said, the guy is a serious jackass and would essentially be like readding Randy Moss to the team from a team unity perspective. You don't have to read between the lines too much to understand just how relieved everyone - players, coaches, even ownership - was to get out from under that dark cloud. BB has also surgically removed every other bad apple and replaced them with team captains and marriage material. His intentions are quite clear, IMO, and a guy like Smith just doesn't fit, especially when you consideer how young this team is.

If Ochocinco is cut, perhaps BB gives him a shot. He has much to prove. He respects BB. He will need to tone down his outsized personality.

OTOH, the Pats don't need him so unless he comes on a bargain-rate contract, it won't happen.

Obviously the patriots don't need Smith or Ochocinco. After all, we are have probowl quality deep threats in Price and Tate.

If Ochocinco is cut, perhaps BB gives him a shot. He has much to prove. He respects BB. He will need to tone down his outsized personality.

OTOH, the Pats don't need him so unless he comes on a bargain-rate contract, it won't happen.

"Know what would have helped even more in the superbowl? Effective TE's and a power running game. But that game was so close that any improvement would have led to a victory, and I don't recall saying that NE's pass rush is the bees knees, either. "

Know what would have helped even more in the Superbowl, the Raven loss and the Jets loss - a left tackle who can protect TB. Oh wait - that's what BB addressed in the draft, you know the best LT in the draft instead of the 9th or 10th best OLB who probably wouldn't help the team for 3-4 years. Too many arm-chair GM's (i.e. naysayers) who think they know best and complain when the Pats go 14-2 in a rebuilding year. Do you complain about everything in life?

I suggest buying your own team and showing us results.

:confused:

Have you been following the conversation? Or did you quote the wrong post?

Yes, I've been following the conversation but admit being a page or two behind.

I didn't want to repost the entire post as it was quite long.

Not to pick on you, Sif, but simply hitting the "Quote" function, and then erasing the parts of the quote you didn't want...would've actually been EASIER than what you did, which, presumably, was to carve out a PORTION of the quote, and then go to the trouble of typing in quotes both before it and after it.

So you managed to make it harder on yourself EVEN WHILE failing to provide the rudimentary courtesy ~ one most FOURTH Graders manage to manage ~ of telling us WHO you're quoting.

NICE. :rolleyes:

Obviously the patriots don't need Smith or Ochocinco. After all, we are have probowl quality deep threats in Price and Tate.

Way to completely misrepresent the case against both of those players. :rolleyes::bricks:

Not to pick on you, Sif, but simply hitting the "Quote" function, and then erasing the parts of the quote you didn't want...would've actually been EASIER than what you did, which, presumably, was to carve out a PORTION of the quote, and then go to the trouble of typing in quotes both before it and after it.

So you managed to make it harder on yourself EVEN WHILE failing to provide the rudimentary courtesy ~ one most FOURTH Graders manage to manage ~ of telling us WHO you're quoting.

Nah, he probably copied and pasted, then tossed some quotemarks around my text.

My issue with his reply was that he seemed to imply that I was the one railing against BB, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Nah, he probably copied and pasted, then tossed some quotemarks around my text.

"Nah"???

Dude.

That's exactly what I SAID he did.

HELLO???

Grid: "It's Green."

Oz: "Nah. It's sort of Bluish - Yellow."

WTF???
jester.gif

"Nah"???

Dude.

That's exactly what I SAID he did.

HELLO???

Grid: "It's Green."

Oz: "Nah. It's sort of Bluish - Yellow."

WTF???
jester.gif

Oops, I read it as if you were saying he typed up everything! :eek::bricks:

Remember, the defense had zeros across the board, no sacks, no pressures and no hits on Sanchez. That is unforgivable.

Word.

Our pass rush Sucks...S.U.C.K.S...Sucks.

Our pass rush sucks because ALL of our OLBs suck, and that is Bill's fault, completely.

If the Genius can't find the next Willie Mac, then he needs to find the next James Harrison.

And who gives a rat's ass if Harrison, or Cameron Wake, or Sam Acho, or Justin Houston, or Chris Carter, or Cliff Avril, or Connor Barwin, or even Jacob Ford can't set the edge or drop into coverage as well as he can rush the passer? Bend But Don't Break is Broken.

The 4 most important positions in football are QB, Pass-Protector, Cornerback & Pass-Rusher. The Pats are great in the first position, OK in the 2nd & 3rd positions, and absolute shyte in the 4th position. And it is because of this glaring, gaping, rancid, festering hole (plus a couple of other matters of Bill's doing) that Bill the Very Best in Everything He Does in the Whole Wide World hasn't won a goddamned thing for the past 6 fecking years, while Rapistbooger & the Manning Family have won 2 SBs...each.

Buh-bye; have a nice day.

If Ninkovich and Cunningham come through for the Pats this year, then another young pass rusher would have made the Pats that much better, but neither one of those player has ever done it at this level before and they showed nothing that would make me believe that they will do it this year.

BB is a great coach, but just an OK GM. For a guy who went for it on 4th and two, he refuses to invest a second round pick on the most glaring need his team has. You can tell me how there wasn't any talent there, but the Pats had 7 picks in the first 100, that is the time to take a gamble.

BTW, their secondary was really improved last year. Merriwhether may be a turd, but he hits and so does Chung, and so does Page. It was encouraging to see passes dropped by recievers on deep crossing routs, a direct result of having to look out for the hit everybody thought was coming.
To say that BB is a poor GM, is the height of Stupidity. Of the great coaches only Paul Brown and Bill Belichick rebuilt winning teams, while still continuing to win.

Lombardi didn't, nor did Shula, nor did Halas, nor did Landry, nor the Steelers Coach. Only Bill Walsh, who did not continue to Coach, extend a dynasty, with player turnover.

Last edited:
And who gives a rat's ass if Harrison, or Cameron Wake, or Sam Acho, or Justin Houston, or Chris Carter, or Cliff Avril, or Connor Barwin, or even Jacob Ford can't set the edge or drop into coverage as well as he can rush the passer?

When you have an OLB on the field who can't set the edge, the opposing offense will never need to pass to win. They'll be able to run right at that OLB the entire game.

Word.

Our pass rush Sucks...S.U.C.K.S...Sucks.

Our pass rush sucks because ALL of our OLBs suck, and that is Bill's fault, completely.

If the Genius can't find the next Willie Mac, then he needs to find the next James Harrison.

And who gives a rat's ass if Harrison, or Cameron Wake, or Sam Acho, or Justin Houston, or Chris Carter, or Cliff Avril, or Connor Barwin, or even Jacob Ford can't set the edge or drop into coverage as well as he can rush the passer? Bend But Don't Break is Broken.

The 4 most important positions in football are QB, Pass-Protector, Cornerback & Pass-Rusher. The Pats are great in the first position, OK in the 2nd & 3rd positions, and absolute shyte in the 4th position. And it is because of this glaring, gaping, rancid, festering hole (plus a couple of other matters of Bill's doing) that Bill the Very Best in Everything He Does in the Whole Wide World hasn't won a goddamned thing for the past 6 fecking years, while Rapistbooger & the Manning Family have won 2 SBs...each.

Buh-bye; have a nice day.
captain,

It is wonderfurl that you have transfered your loyalties to the Rapistbooger and Manning family. Good bye, Good Luck, and I hope I DON'T See you in Hell!

Your warm, and insightful commentary will certainly [sic NOT] be missed.

Last edited:
So you would have been happy if he had drafted Gholston, and Aaron Maybin and Larry English and Jerry Hughes with his high picks the past four years? :rolleyes:

I was never really a fan of any of those guys, you can go back and look. I remember being intrigued by Gholston because of all the hype, but when his stock skyrocketed due to the combine I became apprehensive.

I was never a Maybin/English/Hughes advocate. However, there were other guys that I wanted to see the Pats take at OLB.

I don't get why people write off English as a bust so quickly. The guy kind of reminds me of what happened with Mayo. He had a good rookie year, then in his second year he was injured and tried to play through it and was criticized for taking a step back. It's just like when people were saying Mayo will never be a playmaker or a top flight ILB. Give English a chance to be fully healthy and let's see what he does this year.

To basically call Jerry Hughes a bust already is simply laughable. I don't even like the guy that much as 3-4 OLB for the Pats because I think he's too much of just a pure speed rusher, but he was a rookie behind one of the best DE tandems in the league for the past 5 years in Freeney and Mathis. I have a feeling it has something to do with him being a Colt.

If Hughes was drafted at the end of the first round by the Pats back when the Pats had McGinest/Vrabel or Vrabel/Colvin or Vrabel/Colvin/AD, and Hughes was inactive for most of the year, you would simply say he's behind more talented and more experienced players on the depth chart who are in their prime and have a great deal of familiarity in the scheme. You'd say it's great that Belichick is "preparing for the future and preparing for life after Vrabel/McGinest" by giving Hughes time to learn under great players/mentors like Vrabel and McGinest. You wouldn't be saying "he's a bust he can't even get on the field."

But since Hughes was drafted by the Colts, he's not being groomed and developed by great players like Freeney/Mathis, he's not a draft pick that is more about being a full time starter in 2-3 years from now, he's not even a good investment by the Colts. He's a bad pick, bust, etc. Let's give the guy a chance to show us what he can do on the field before we judge him for not being able to crack the starting lineup as a rookie behind one of the best DE tandems of the last decade.

You'll get no argument from me. As I said before, NE waited too long to begin rebuilding the OLB (and ILB) ranks.

But when you said "in their prime" you were more accurate than you realized. How long did it take those players to reach their prime?

Bruschi - 7 years
Vrabel - 7 years
Willie - 1 year (but he had become an oft injured disappointment before BB revitalized his career)
Colvin - 3 years

You see things based on what just happened. I see them based on what can and will happen. This is going to be a solid group.

You see things based on what can and will happen? Seems like you are a bit confident in yourself and your own evaluations. Comes off as a bit arrogant and smug to me, but that's neither here nor there, is it?

To me, you see things through the eyes of a highly optimistic Pats fan. If you think a guy like Rob Ninkovich or Tully Banta Cain is the answer at OLB, frankly, I don't even know what to say to you. You can feed me all you want about experience, years in Belichick's defense, etc. I don't buy it. When you watch Rob Ninkovich play, it's obvious that he is not even remotely close to a Vrabel or McGinest. But if you want to believe that, then go ahead.

I'm just trying to be more of a realist. I know you claim that you can "see things how they are going to happen" but I don't know what you are basing your predictions/assumptions on.

I LIKED the Jermaine Cunningham pick a year ago and still like him as a player, but what have you seen from him that makes you think he will be the next Willie Mac type of OLB? Nothing. He was injured and had a few decent/good plays here and there, but there wasn't a big enough sample size to truly judge. I see a lot of Florida/Miami/Florida St college games, and I always liked Cunningham as sort of a complementary OLB - not the stud that you have to game plan around (Dunlap), but a guy that will show up play hard, and will make some big plays for you ever now and then.

Almost everyone in the media tabbed the Pats a "no name defense" when they were winning Super Bowls. They all credited Belichick and his scheme and the emphasis on team defense rather than individual stars. But that really was just something stirred up by the media.

We saw first hand how truly "talented" the likes of Bruschi, Seymour, Harrison, Colvin, McGinest, Law, etc. were once we started losing them to retirement, free agency, injury, etc. They were actually some of the better players in the game at their respective positions.

Law was a shutdown corner, one of the best in the game in his prime. McGinest was one of the best OLB I've ever seen play - he could do it all: set the edge, rush the passer, drop in coverage. He was clutch in the postseason. Bruschi and Vrabel were vastly under-rated big time playmakers with great intellect. Harrison was one of the most intimidating safeties to ever step on the field.

That's my issue with the way Belichick has gone about filling holes. Recently, he's opted for the cheaper/patch-work options rather than addressing his needs assertively. Maybe it's because Pioli is no longer here. Maybe it's because guys like Rodney Harrison or Vrabel just don't hit the market as much anymore with how ridiculously high the salary cap has gotten. Maybe it's because he's just inept at developing an OLB. Look back and tell me what OLB Bill has drafted and developed. The best you can come up with? Banta-Cain. Not good.

But quite honestly, with Brady's window closing by each passing season, I'm sick of the likes of Derrick Burgess or Tully Banta Cain to try to plug the hole at OLB. I'm sick of signing Gerard Warren, Damione Lewis, Deaderick, Pryor, Brace, etc to try to replace Seymour at DE. I'm sick of seeing Asante Samuel being shown the door, only to see our CB's the next season be some combination of Hobbs, Delthea O'Neal, Jason Webster, Fernando Bryant, and two rookies. The last time the Pats were very aggressive in addressing needs was after the 07 AFCCG loss to Indy, and it resulted in an 18-1 almost perfect season.

I'm all for the way Bill loves to stockpile draft picks, but there comes a point in time where you have to cash them in and either trade up in the draft for elite talent or trade those picks for an elite player. That's how you get a WR like Brandon Marshall or Anquan Boldin or Vincent Jackson for Brady. That's how you get a pass rusher like Brian Orakpo or Peppers or Mario Williams. That's how you get a dominant defensive lineman like Suh. More often than not, you've got to shell out the cash and/or assets to get a player of that caliber.

I don't know how you expect the Pats to add championship caliber talent by continually collecting 2nd round picks and trading back. Sure, Bill has hit on some guys like Gronk, Vollmer, and Chung who all seem to have very bright futures. But there have also been some big time whiffs - Wheatley, Brace, Butler, Chad Jackson.

Maybe instead of spending 2nd and 3rd round picks year after year trying to find a WR, you can trade up and get a sure-fire one or trade your picks for a proven NFL player. Don't like the sound of that? Oh, well it just so happens that the two best acquisitions the Pats had at WR over the last 4-5 years were Moss and Welker. Both of whom the Pats traded picks for. Seems to me there is better "value" in that.

Filling Hole at WR:
Trading a 2nd and a 7th for Welker. Trading a 4th for Moss.
v.s.
Spending a 2nd rounder on Chad Jackson, spending a 3rd rounder on Tate, spending a 3rd rounder on Taylor Price.

The same thing applies to what happened at CB after Asante left. Rather than just re-signing him, they brought in a bunch of JAG's who they thought they could coach up or mask the deficiencies of with the scheme. Didn't work. Then they have proceeded to spend FOUR straight years of picks on CB's: 08 Wheatley/Wilhite, 09 Butler, 2010 McCourty, 2011 Dowling. The only one of those guys we know for sure that can play legitimately in the NFL is McCourty. That's not good value to me, Bill.

I wish we still had Dimitroff in our FO. He's done a great job of addressing his team's needs AGGRESSIVELY through the draft and free agency. At least he's got the stones to go for it with Julio Jones, Dunta Robinson, Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, etc. He's traded up more aggressively in his short time there than Bill has in his whole time with NE. I love Bill as a coach, but his front office skills are not as elite as I once thought they were.

Last edited:
BillBelichickFan79 are you not being a little harsh on Bill. As you yourself said we had quite a few talented players on the championship defense. We had to rebuild the defense and we can't do it all at once. At the same time we couldn't completely ignore the offense and had to devote a few resources there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes