PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger's "Biggest Disappointment = Maroney?!?" WTF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morris did run better, but Maroney was always much better than people seem to think.

In the 1st 3 games, Maroney had 54 carries for 252 yards. For 4.67 YPC. Morris had 33 carries for 151 yards. That 4.57 YPC. Morris was used in the short-yardage situations, so he picked up the 2 rushing TDs.

Morris had longs in each game of 13, 14, and 12 while Maroney had longs of 11, 14, and 19 respecitvely.

Now, if you are saying that Morris ran better because he was a free agent and Maroney was a #1 pick by comparison, then it proves that the expectations are different and that they were LOWER for Morris. Giving a perception that he ran better than Maroney, when, in reality, Morris ran better than the low expectations people placed on him while Maroney didn't run as well as the expectations placed on him.

Morris did run better, but Maroney was always much better than people seem to think.

I think Maroney needs a solid break away game in the playoffs to make most of us drool about his talent again. And I believe that is what Maroney wants for himself as well...

He is a weapon. He was on the verge of breaking away a few times in the Giants game.

Make no mistake, Felger's biggest disappointment was a 16-0 season.

QB: No real disappointments
WR: Anyone who claims there's a disappointment here may need to be lobotomized
TE: Hey, there's a place for disappointment. Watson, Thomas.... both disappointments
OL: For some, Light was a disappointment. For the rational, only Neal's injury would qualify
RB: Ah, everyone's whipping boy, Maroney. Unfortunately, the numbers tell a different story than the eyes. And, the numbers are right in this case:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb.php

In fact, given the almost telegraphed nature of the team's running game with Maroney in, his numbers are even more impressive. The irony of people defending Addai's slump with the 'injury' card while deriding Maroney for his injuries is a tasty one. And the silence from those people about the offensive rookie of the year and his slump has been deafening

DL: Now, here's a truly major disappointment. Kareem Brown couldn't beat out LeKevin Smith. However, this disappointment is now on the Jets roster

LB: No disappointments here, really, unless it's the lack of PT for the young'uns

CB: Samuel has been a minor disappointment.

Safety: Wilson's inability to stay healthy continues to hamper his career.

K: fine job done

LS: fine job done

P: Here's the position that's been the most disappointing

Well, when I break it down, I find the biggest disappointments to be Watson, Wilson and Thomas, with Watson being the overall biggest due to the dramatic drop in his play. Frankly, I don't think anyone else is all that close to these three in the disappointment department.

Last edited:
1) Hobbs - Ok... I saw Samuel get beat plenty too, but people ignore those.
2) Meriweather - I think it was unrealistic to expect Meriweather to be starting Day 1. Not with Harrison, Wilson, and Sanders already there.
3) Thomas - He was signed to play ILB and be a back-up outside. I heard his name PLENTY of times as an ILB.
4) Seymour - He missed the 1st 6 games of the season as well as all of pre-season. It takes a player time to get into the swing of things. Seymour was playing very well the last few games and I expect him to improve as the play-offs go on.

Your right about Samuel, he does get beat at times, just like every cornerback. This is because Samuel takes chances as shown on Saturday night where he bit on Mannings fake and ended up getting out of position in the corner of the endzone where Burress caught a TD. However, Hobbs doesn't make enough plays on the ball like Samuel. As much as teams attacked Hobb's side of the field, he only broke up 12 passes thrown his way and grabbed one interception. Samuel breaks up twice as many passes at 24 and grabbed 5 more interceptions. Your right though, we don't talk about Samuel getting beat because all cornerbacks get beat once in a while which we fail to acknowledge. My arguement about Hobbs is that he doesn't make enough plays on the ball with the amount of attention that is placed on him from opposing offenses. Hobbs gets beat a lot.

Last edited:
TGICG - I've asked the following of every Maroney detractor who has mentioned Maroney's injuries. Please tell me what exercises you do to prevent your ribs from being dislocated and tearing shoulder muscle.

If you can't, then that would fall into the catastrophic injury category. And you can't hold that against him.

You can hold this year's injury against him since it was muscular (groin) in nature.

Maroney did NOT have injury issues in college.

Also, please define what it means to PLAY HEALTHY.

Why was he in the lineup then????

Morris never produced more than Maroney in any of the games they played together. Morris had two one hundred yard rushing games against two very weak run D's. Maroney's "best" games came against the Jets and Dolphins (two poor run defenses). Maroney's games against poor opponents were better than Morris's games against poor opponents. Morris missed much more time than Maroney (who is made of blown glass). Morris was not as productive in the passing game and against a good run defense (Dallas) he produced 10 carries for fourteen yards. Felger and the rest of the people who feel that Morris was the better (or more productive) running back need to rethink their opinions.

I'm done trying to talk sense into the folks who rail against Hobbs. :bricks:

The injuries to Morris, Thomas (x2), Colvin, Neal, Seymour, Brady and Watson were the biggest disappointments of this season. Marcellus Rivers, too. :D

Deus, I completely disagree that Watson regressed compared to his game in 2006. He improved as a blocker, his hands improved greatly (although there were a few lousy drops in the second half) and he held onto the ball better after he caught it (two fewer fumbles). He was not as productive as he was in 2006, but he was better none-the-less. He was having an excellent season up until the injury as well.

This has a good thread. I have indicated that I was disappointed with the production of Maroney and Meriweather, and I was fine with the performance of others.

First, I would note, that most here had many more disappointments.

Second, a couple of posters noted that perhaps I was disappointed with Maroney and Meriweather because my expectations were too high. On reflection, I agree with that characterization. I'm afraid I expected more from Meriweather beacuse I would rather we had drafted Beason or Harris or Leonard. I agree that this was unreasonable on my part. Meriweather has done reasonably well with what has been asked of him. I expected Maroney to step up, be healthy, and compete for being an all-pro runner.

Watson put on his cement gloves this year again... I forgot about him.

He may have blocked better this year, but he dropped way too many catchable balls imo.

Your right about Samuel, he does get beat at times, just like every cornerback. This is because Samuel takes chances as shown on Saturday night where he bit on Mannings fake and ended up getting out of position in the corner of the endzone where Burress caught a TD. However, Hobbs doesn't make enough plays on the ball like Samuel. As much as teams attacked Hobb's side of the field, he only broke up 12 passes thrown his way and grabbed one interception. Samuel breaks up twice as many passes at 24 and grabbed 5 more interceptions. Your right though, we don't talk about Samuel getting beat because all cornerbacks get beat once in a while which we fail to acknowledge. My arguement about Hobbs is that he doesn't make enough plays on the ball with the amount of attention that is placed on him from opposing offenses. Hobbs gets beat a lot.

Samuel only broke up 18 passes this year according to ESPN. And no one is saying that Hobbs is a #1 corner. Most people are saying he's a legit #2 who is only 24 and is still a work in progress, but who has gotten better each year.

This thread is funny. Watching all the biggest homers scramble to make an excuse for any players that a particular fan thought had a disappointing season.

I thought Maroney had a dissapointing season , as well as Hobbs , Meriweather, Seymour, D Thomas, Watson and obv C Jackson.

Last edited:
Why was he in the lineup then????

TGIACG -
Why is it that you didn't answer the questions asked of you?

DaBruinz said:
TGICG - I've asked the following of every Maroney detractor who has mentioned Maroney's injuries. Please tell me what exercises you do to prevent your ribs from being dislocated and tearing shoulder muscle.

If you can't, then that would fall into the catastrophic injury category. And you can't hold that against him.

You can hold this year's injury against him since it was muscular (groin) in nature.

Maroney did NOT have injury issues in college.

Also, please define what it means to PLAY HEALTHY.

As for your asking why Maroney was in the line-up, you need to be more specific as to when you are referring to. If you mean LAST YEAR after he returned from his injury, its because , initially, they didn't see all the damage that had been done to his shoulder. Much like with Ty Law and they didn't diagnose the Lis Franc Fracture initially. And, like many football players, he tried to play through the pain. But, a shoulder injury, for a RB, is very tough to play through. Especially one where you are talking about torn shoulder tissue.

Now, could you please answer the questions asked of you?

Make no mistake, Felger's biggest disappointment was a 16-0 season.
Yes...that makes so much sense...he is Borges light...I really take what he says with a grain of salt..although once in awhile HE IS right...but a blind squirrel will find nuts once in awhile and a broken watch may be right twice a day...

This thread is funny. Watching all the biggest homers scramble to make an excuse for any players that a particular fan thought had a disappointing season.

I thought Maroney had a dissapointing season , as well as Hobbs , Meriweather, Seymour, D Thomas, Watson and obv C Jackson.

I find it amusing when idiots such as yourself claim that XYZ player had a disappointing season yet refuses to back up their words with any actual fact.

I can understand why you'd say David Thomas because of his injury, that was disappointing. I don't understand you saying Chad Jackson, considering he's returning from ACL surgery about 10 months ago. Did I miss something and the return time for ACL injuries miraculously go to 6 months instead of 18?

Why was Meriweather's season disappointing to you? Why was Seymour's season disappointing? Don't bother explaining about Maroney because you've been shown to be severally lacking in that area.

Watson went from 3 fumbles to one fumble. And from 3 TDs on 49 catches to 6 TDs on 36 catches.

I am disappointed that his YPC dropped from 13.1 to 10.8. It should have gone up, imho.

That being said, Watson DID improve his blocking.

Watson had 36 receptions and 4 drops this year while being targeted 49 times.

What is interesting is the idea that Watson's hands got worse. They actually got better. Last year, Watson had 49 catches on 91 targets (53.8%) . This year he had 36 catches on 49 targets (73.5%).

I find it amusing when idiots such as yourself claim that XYZ player had a disappointing season yet refuses to back up their words with any actual fact.

I can understand why you'd say David Thomas because of his injury, that was disappointing. I don't understand you saying Chad Jackson, considering he's returning from ACL surgery about 10 months ago. Did I miss something and the return time for ACL injuries miraculously go to 6 months instead of 18?

Why was Meriweather's season disappointing to you? Why was Seymour's season disappointing? Don't bother explaining about Maroney because you've been shown to be severally lacking in that area.

Seymour was hurt most of the year. He did little when he came back and only looked like his old self vs mediocore offensive lines. Maybe that will change in the playoffs. Now I know Seymour has been pretty solid , but he is supposed to be that dominator on the line.

Meriweather until late in the season did little to nothing for this team. He has dropped 3 EASY ints, and IMO has not lived up to the hype. I was one of the ones defending him on draft day with you. Honestly I think he will be a good player for us one day , just was hoping for more in his first year. At his best he has played decent IMO. I know people are saying Samuel was not so great over his first couple years , but Samuel was not a first round draft choice.

David Thomas you hit the nail on the head. I wish I could have seen him more. Great hands. I think he will be a good one. Lets just hope he is not a injury machine.

Chad is a disappiontment imo because he has been healthy for awhile now. Rumors have him *****ing in the locker room , and he has not seen the field. It is disappionting to see your high second round reciever who was supposed to be out of this world do nothing when he is healthy. I dont think he looked that good on the kick returns he did also.

Maroney has been good as of late. I was down on him when he was not performing well , but he has been much better so I guess he was only a half disappiontment for me. Seeing him play at Min I thought he was going to just tear up the NFL. Maybe next season he will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft