PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Faulk recovers Brady's fumble - Night and day

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but there was a play in the Buffalo game where it looked like Brady threw an incomplete pass, Faulk jumped on it immeidatley and it was ruled a fumble.

Am I the only one for whom that play harkened back to a play from I think 2002 (?) where Brady threw a sideways pass that looked incomplete, Faulk just sat there looking at it on the ground, Green Bay (? was that the team) pounced on it and it was ruled a backwards pass and GB ball.

I recall reading awhile after that game that Faulk credits that play for "waking him up" and really caused him to reevaulate his role in the NFL and how serious he took things, etc.

Anyway, sorry if this has been posted before, I Just thought it was a nice bookend for Faulk, who really turned his career as a Patriot around on that play.

(PS I really hope it was Faulk I'm thinking of on that 2002 play or this whole post is pointless :) )

I was at the Buffalo game, and I found it funny to see the only time you'll ever see the home crowd bitterly arguing against a visiting team fumble. They did kinda get the screw on that one, as what shouldve been third and long ended up being third and short.

Huge heads up play by Faulk though, you're right. Didn't know about the 2002 play either, thanks for that.

Yeah, I noticed that too. At the sports bar where I watch the games, we were discussing how good of a heads up play that was by Faulk. Makes up for his fumble the previous game.

tombonneau said:
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but there was a play in the Buffalo game where it looked like Brady threw an incomplete pass, Faulk jumped on it immeidatley and it was ruled a fumble.

Am I the only one for whom that play harkened back to a play from I think 2002 (?) where Brady threw a sideways pass that looked incomplete, Faulk just sat there looking at it on the ground, Green Bay (? was that the team) pounced on it and it was ruled a backwards pass and GB ball.

I recall reading awhile after that game that Faulk credits that play for "waking him up" and really caused him to reevaulate his role in the NFL and how serious he took things, etc.

Anyway, sorry if this has been posted before, I Just thought it was a nice bookend for Faulk, who really turned his career as a Patriot around on that play.

(PS I really hope it was Faulk I'm thinking of on that 2002 play or this whole post is pointless :) )

It was a very heads-up play by Faulk (and by Brady to bat the fumble out of the sea of Bills towards the only Patriot in the area).

And yes, it was a home game against Green Bay in 2002, and more or less the entire offense sat around staring at the fumble despite the lack of a whistle except for (I believe) a young Mr. Stephen Neal, who injured himself as the lone Patriot trying to recover the ball.

Brownfan80 said:
It was a very heads-up play by Faulk (and by Brady to bat the fumble out of the sea of Bills towards the only Patriot in the area).

And yes, it was a home game against Green Bay in 2002, and more or less the entire offense sat around staring at the fumble despite the lack of a whistle except for (I believe) a young Mr. Stephen Neal, who injured himself as the lone Patriot trying to recover the ball.

Yep, that was the low point. Faulk has really turned into a player since then.

If he could only hold onto the damn ball.

I'm pleasantly surprised how good he is at punt returns, but ball security comes first for me.

Brownfan80 said:

You are correct, sir.

In fact, young Mr. Neal not only was the only Patriot to dive for the ball - while Faulk had his head up his arse - but also hurt his shoulder so badly doing so, that he missed the rest of the 2002 season and all of '03. Typical "Feast or Famine" Faulk for ya.

captain stone said:
You are correct, sir.

In fact, young Mr. Neal not only was the only Patriot to dive for the ball - while Faulk had his head up his arse - but also hurt his shoulder so badly doing so, that he missed the rest of the 2002 season and all of '03. Typical "Feast or Famine" Faulk for ya.

I thought so about Neal.

One comment about the Faulk nickname though.. I don't think "Feast or Famine" really fits at all for Faulk.

Famine indicates a long spell of hunger or lack of nourishment (any extreme and general scarcity).

Faulk's big plays far outnumber his sour plays, and it's not normally a huge spat of sour plays in a row. Famine doesn't fit.

I think, keeping with the food theme, Faulk's better nickname would be Feast or Diarrhea. He'll give you a bunch of great meals in a row, but then every once and a while he'll make you sh*t your pants.

Last edited:
Brownfan80 said:
I thought so about Neal.

One comment about the Faulk nickname though.. I don't think "Feast or Famine" really fits at all for Faulk.

Famine indicates a long spell of hunger or lack of nourishment (any extreme and general scarcity).

Faulk's big plays far outnumber his sour plays, and it's not normally a huge spat of sour plays in a row. Famine doesn't fit.

I think, keeping with the food theme, Faulk's better nickname would be Feast or Diarrhea. He'll give you a bunch of great meals in a row, but then every once and a while he'll make you sh*t your pants.

How about "Russian Roulette"?

sieglo said:
How about "Russian Roulette"?

Well, his fumbles often make a game harder, but rarely do they actually kill our chances. Bullets kill you dead. So I'm not sure I like that one either. ;)

Great point. That's what sets the Pats apart from the other teams. Faulk alertly jumped on the ball while the Bills players hesistated. And yes it was a fumble, not a forward pass.

Kevin's name is Kevin 'What The" Faulk.

captain stone said:
You are correct, sir.

Since Brady took over and the magic carpet ride began, that moment was one of my worst memories of Pats football. Our superbowl defenders played one seemingly disinterested game after another, getting their butts handed to them, and then lose badly in a blow out to Green Bay.

But the moment of Faulk not recovering his own fumble and then our new guy, Neal, out for almost two years because he was the only guy on the team paying attention. That was the worst for me.

What a mess. That game, the Titans and Raiders games made for an awful season, even if we went 9-7.

But the Green Bay fumble to me was the lowest of the low points.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Since Brady took over and the magic carpet ride began, that moment was one of my worst memories of Pats football. Our superbowl defenders played one seemingly disinterested game after another, getting their butts handed to them, and then lose badly in a blow out to Green Bay.

But the moment of Faulk not recovering his own fumble and then our new guy, Neal, out for almost two years because he was the only guy on the team paying attention. That was the worst for me.

What a mess. That game, the Titans and Raiders games made for an awful season, even if we went 9-7.

But the Green Bay fumble to me was the lowest of the low points.

Don't forget the home loss that year to the damn Donkeys. SonsO'B!tchez.

Love these nicknames for Faulk; keep 'em coming. Imagine if the Pats had drafted his cousin, Trev, in 2002. Their collective nickname might have been DP Faulkin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft