PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Farley - Patriots’ secondary has become a primary concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Farley - Patriots’ secondary has become a primary concern

all the Pats did this year was CHANGE their secondary, not necessarily revamp and restock it.

To restock, or revamp essentially just means replace. In this context, these words all mean exactly the same thing, so I have no idea what you're getting at.

Farley reporting from a van down by the river?

Last edited:
He didn't do that in Detroit. That's the point. Sure, he looks pretty good if you just ignore his time in Detroit. Unfortunately, we can't do that.

I have no baseline for him, by the way. There are too many examples of both good players looking bad on bad teams, and of poor players being exposed when they change teams, for me to put any baseline on the guy before I see him playing in the Patriots scheme.
73 Total tackles, 11 Passes Defended, 3 Forced Fumbles, and the one Interception - he was around the ball. The optimist in me says he might even be able to repeat that performance with a better supporting cast.
th_coffee.gif

73 Total tackles, 11 Passes Defended, 3 Forced Fumbles, and the one Interception - he was around the ball. The optimist in me says he might even be able to repeat that performance with a better supporting cast.
th_coffee.gif

Here's hoping that your inner optimist is correct :eat3:

th_coffee.gif

Tackles generally are a negative indicator for a CB. It means hes tackling guys after they catch the ball. BUT, with the fact that people ran on the lions like 9000 times last year because they were terrible, a lot of those tackles might be in run support.

Cornerback statistics are worse than useless.

Last edited:
Tackles generally are a negative indicator for a CB. It means hes tackling guys after they catch the ball. BUT, with the fact that people ran on the lions like 9000 times last year because they were terrible, a lot of those tackles might be in run support.

Cornerback statistics are worse than useless.
They're not the best resource, but without game film it's all we have, certainly the pessimistic assessments are based on no better data. Unquestionably the tackle numbers reflect DL and LBs who let a few too many plays get to the next level, but it's not necessarily a negative to know they stopped when they got to Bodden. I'm also reminded Detroit played a Tampa 2, which puts the run support squarely on the CBs. Glass half full thinking? We'll know in a couple more weeks.

I'm optimistic about our cornerbacks. we have some veteran and young talent and a top rookie. We've coached up a lot less IMO.

I appreciated Hobbs effort and dynamism, but i think he's a nickleback. He is much too choppy and you need to react smoothly to get away with making plays without getting penalties called.

Asante was very smooth and instinctive in reaction. I just think you have it or don't in that regard, like a shot blocker in basketball.

I like the looks of Wheatley if he can stop breaking his freakin wrists.

The secondary is going to be fine...anything is better than last year and I for one happen to be on the Bodden bandwagon...I think this kid could be one of the surprise stars in the league this year...

This backfield is going to be very solid this year. No probelms unless the injury bug hits....Leigh is going to have 8 picks. 1 for a TD :D

wilhite and richardson need to improve tremendously, once again for the record...or they need to be shipped....bodden, wheatley, springs, butler...sooo solid imo and hopefully none of them will get injured bc after butler the cb depth drops off a noticable amount!

wilhite and richardson need to improve tremendously, once again for the record...or they need to be shipped....bodden, wheatley, springs, butler...sooo solid imo and hopefully none of them will get injured bc after butler the cb depth drops off a noticable amount!
What are they doing or not doing on the field for you?

for the speed they supposedly both have...4.3 4.4issh...both are weak tacklers, poor in press man, poor in zone, and bad in loose man...thats what they arent doing for me...hopefully theyll surprise all of us this year and be 100 percent improved...

for the speed they supposedly both have...4.3 4.4issh...both are weak tacklers, poor in press man, poor in zone, and bad in loose man...thats what they arent doing for me...hopefully theyll surprise all of us this year and be 100 percent improved...
Richardson 4.48/40 at his Pro Day. Bit on the slow end for CB.

Now Wilhite did have a 4.38 at the Combine, but one of the issues rookies have is they are thinking about what they should be doing and not playing intuitively the way a veteran would. Wilhite was worked at Nickelback while Wheatley was taking the outside reps, when Wheatley went on IR Wilhite was still working at NB while taking the extra reps outside to get him ready; Richardson lost a season on IR in 07, he played well in limited opportunities covering for Hobbs and O'Neal, he also lost more time to injury, so we don't fully know what he can do - and may not if he's odd man out in the CB pool.

I wasn't able to save last season's games, but if you have the late games where Wilhite started over O'Neal perhaps you could take time to focus on him and give us some pros and cons specifics besides not using his full speed.

4.4 ish =4.8, 4.3ish=4.38

i just told u the man(wilhite) was poor in man coverage, zone, and a poor tackler, plus he is short, thats about as specific as i can be...i dont remember the time down or the receiver his was covering...hopefully the speed training he did this offseason will have him running a 4.1 and he mite just play at his 4.38 speed...i understand they have paralysis from analysis during a play dude, but when ur in man coverage or a flat/shoot zone, thats not sumthin new to him....seahawks, colts, and steeler games really show his need for a majjjjjjooor improvement..

pros--he looks cool, sumwat like asante, he supposedly is a 4.3 guy, hardworker, lil experience behind him now

cons--poor in every type of coverage last year(overall), short, weak sauce tackler

at least ellis hobbs could cover slants rather well...hobbs and wilhite are the same type of corner(size wise)

Me personally I am not that concerned about the corner back play.....yes it needs to be better than oevr the shoulder O'neal as he watches the bombs sail over.

But Springs is certainly capable and Bodden could be. Lets say Springs gets hurt or Bodden is a true Lion and a flop.....Wheat showed flashes and Butler has a lot of promise. Whit is the slot corner I think all agree and I doubt Richardson even makes the roster.

The biggest thing is the safety play, that's where this team needs the ratched up play. the way the 3-4 system is designed and the amount of zone coverage used the safety play has to be excellent and Merri and Sanders were far form that last year.

You want the CB's to do well? You better hope Chung is all thats promised (which I think he does have amazing talent and will be starting mid season) and that Merri can make that big leap finally.

The more I read about the presumed weakness at OLB and in the pass rush, the more I wonder whether these areas should be of real concern to those of us who want the Pats to succeed or whether they are being over hyped by those who feel, gosh darn it, that there has to be SOMETHING wrong with this version of the Patriots and this is the only thing they can think of.

Last edited:

Belichick could have had Hobbs for another year or two as insurance against the current group not being good enough. He could have had Hobbs as one of the secondary instead of McGowan or Tank Williams (leaving Wilhite or Springs to be the #4 safety).

Belichick thought the secondary was so good that he had no place for Hobbs. Given, his abilities as a returner, the choice by Belichick shows a truly amazing vote of confidence in Wheatley and Wilhite (and Butler), and also transitional players Bodden and Springs.

Either Belichick has completely lost his edge or we shouldn't be worrying.

To repeat, Belichick had no need for Hobbs. That says a lot.

Wilhite is two inches taller than Hobbs and Wheatley. He's just as fast as them too. He also played better than Lito Sheppard in '08. Sheppard is now NYJ number two or three. Wilhite isn't needed to start. All rookie DBs look bad even good ones. They usually improve a lot in year two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back