PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Farley - Patriots’ secondary has become a primary concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Farley - Patriots’ secondary has become a primary concern

The more I read about the presumed weakness at OLB and in the pass rush, the more I wonder whether these areas should be of real concern to those of us who want the Pats to succeed or whether they are being over hyped by those who feel, gosh darn it, that there has to be SOMETHING wrong with this version of the Patriots and this is the only thing they can think of.

The Patriots could have more talent at linebacker, besides Thomas and Mayo. That's two starter spots (with Bru winding down) and all the backups.

Are you saying this is some sort of hallucination and they really have all pros and top draft picks in those spots?

I'm hoping that they hit on all there picks in the top three the last nine years (or both) and that many free agents become solid starters or backups, but I do believe that requires some wishful thinking.

Please expound on your reasons, besides my generally dour outlook, that this isn't a concern.

[I extended the lack of proven pass rushers to include other LBs BTW.]

Belichick could have had Hobbs for another year or two as insurance against the current group not being good enough. He could have had Hobbs as one of the secondary instead of McGowan or Tank Williams (leaving Wilhite or Springs to be the #4 safety).

Belichick thought the secondary was so good that he had no place for Hobbs. Given, his abilities as a returner, the choice by Belichick shows a truly amazing vote of confidence in Wheatley and Wilhite (and Butler), and also transitional players Bodden and Springs.

Either Belichick has completely lost his edge or we shouldn't be worrying.

To repeat, Belichick had no need for Hobbs. That says a lot.

I agree the Hobb Knob gobblin is getting old:D

To repeat, Belichick had no need for Hobbs. That says a lot.

No need or got some value for him while he could? Was/is Hobbs not in his contract year? It's clear from the interviews he gave he wanted to be paid at the next renewal...

If this wasn't the case IMO Hobbs would still be a Patriot.

That was one of the worst Patriots article I've ever read.

Too much emphasis on the PAST.

All assumptions from another aspiring writer who hasn't evaluated the players their critiquing recently or on a consistent basis.

Bodden and Springs are no chumps even though I've heard Wilhite might possibly have a jump on Springs for playing time.

Look at the bottom of the article....

"Fifth in a 10-part series on issues facing the New England Patriots as the start of training camp (July 30) nears. Next, a look at the challenges the team’s schedule will present.)"

BORING and inaccurate

Please....I'd rather hear about what the Offensive Line listens to for music before games or some Randy Moss fishing stories.

First i wanted to give props to Nash for a good post. A lot of people don't consider the simple fact that the NFL is loaded with tons of potential. What I mean specifically in this case, is that there are about 50 or so 1st,2nd or 3rd year corner backs in this league that have extremely high potential. In reality probably about 10 of these guys are going to make names for themselves in this league. What are the chances that the Patriots have 3 of them? Or even 2 of them......? Probably not very high.

Last edited:
Wilhite is two inches taller than Hobbs and Wheatley. He's just as fast as them too. He also played better than Lito Sheppard in '08. Sheppard is now NYJ number two or three. Wilhite isn't needed to start. All rookie DBs look bad even good ones. They usually improve a lot in year two.
Combine weigh-ins unless marked:

Wheatley 5' 9 5/8"
Wilhite 5' 9 4/8"
Hobbs 5' 9"

Butler 5' 10 3/8"
Richardson 5' 10 3/8" (Pro-Day)

With Hobbs gone, Wilhite is actually the shortest CB. Bodden, Springs, and Love are all reported as 6' or better.

Just happened to listen to an ESPN Saturday radio "Pats segment"with John Clayton. I was surprised a Colts homer had so much praise for the Pats 09 rookie class. He seemed to speak highly of Darius Butler and say the Pats defensive speed and revamped squad will be one of the most exciting stories to watch in the NFL. Two other players he mentioned to be impact players this season are Ron Brace and J. Edelman. Usually the guy is critical of the Pats, but this time, he gave em some love. That was a nice change of pace I thought;)

Let's see. What would you give for a starting CB for a year (two if there is no new agreement, with the knowledge that if he leaves you will get a future third? If I had any question with regard to the secondary, I would have not taken two fifths.

No need or got some value for him while he could? Was/is Hobbs not in his contract year? It's clear from the interviews he gave he wanted to be paid at the next renewal...

If this wasn't the case IMO Hobbs would still be a Patriot.

I know alot people on here are really excited about the NEW secondary, and scared about the OLB position. Im the other way around. Without getting into the OLB debate, here's why im concerned about the seconday.

Leigh Bodden, why all the love? Is it because he signed for one year, so he'll be motivated? Is it because he had one statistically good season? Lets keep in mind, 3 of those 6 ints were against Cinci. A team that most people feel was a bad team in 07. Game 1 against the Browns, Palmer threw all over the Browns for 401 yards, and 6tds. The fact that Bodden got 2 ints in that game is more of a side note. Game 2 against the Browns, Palmer had a qb rating of 44!! He just plain sucked that day. Why? I don't know, but im not willing to say it was all about Bodden. The other 3 ints he had that year were against QBs that were struggling. So, why all the love for Bodden? I know, he played in Romeos system, he's familiar with it. So was Hobbs, but everybody hated him. I think i'll just take a wait, and see approach on Bodden.
Carson Palmer - Cincinnati Bengals - Game Log - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
Leigh Bodden - New England Patriots - Game Log - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Shawn Springs, He's OLD, and apparently has some injury concerns. From what i see, he failed to start 16 games over the last 3 seasons.
Shawn Springs - New England Patriots - Game Log - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
So, i guess you could say im not really that excited about him either.

Terrence Wheatley, 2 tackles, and then injured. Showed a little flash, but not enough for me to feel great about him starting. He's almost still a rookie, kinda like Crable.

Jonathan Wilhite, 2nd year player, who showed some flashes last year.

Darius Butler, rookie, so no need to talk about him yet.

So really, why is everybody so confident that this group of CBs is going to be great, and we should not be concerned? This group is a couple injuries away from starting a rookie, and a 2nd year guy. That might be great, but it might not be. See what im saying? :D

I didnt bring up the safetys, because honestly im not so worried about them. :eek:

I've expressed some of the same concerns, especially when it comes to Springs. Also, I too am very excited about the LB's amid the concerns from everyone else. For years people have been saying the Patriots need to get younger at LB, and now that it seems they've done just that, everyone is nervous. Go figure. Anyway, we'll just have to see what happens. We'll get a good sense of what we'll be getting in the regular season once TC and preseason get underway.

The secondary deficiencies can be masked by a well-sustained pass rush. If Crable can turn into that Rosie Colvin type of player, the secondary only needs to be average at best for this team to achieve their goal. Looking at the Pats schedule this year, it appears that the games against New Orleans, ATL, and Indy are the ones where are secondary could be torched. Other than that, the Pats secondary really should be a non-issue with all the "game manager(AKA run-run-pass)" quarterbacks they will be going up against.

But I agree with Nashville Pats fan---all the Pats did this year was CHANGE their secondary, not necessarily revamp and restock it. I am elated Hobbs is out of the secondary this year. He cost Tom Brady 2 Super Bowls. That my friends is unforgivable.

Tsk tsk . . . this is so wrong.:cool: He didn't cost Brady anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes