PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Extending Gronk's career

Status
Not open for further replies.

micronin127

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
We are all waiting to hear if Gronk has played his last game. I really hope he comes back and aligns his retirement with Brady's plan. Two or three more years.

Gronk has had multiple surgeries and takes a beating, especially to his knees and quads, but also to his head. Earl Thomas rocked him pretty good a few years back.

Personally, I don't need to see Gronk play in the preseason or even until Week 10. Playing for the Patriots adds a minimum of 2 games, usually 3, every season. Or at least 4 of the last 5. Playing until February and then minicamp happens in May, just 3 months later. Give him a full 6 months every year and don't expect him to do training camp at all. PUP list, weights, bikes, TB12 method. Then 6-8 games to tune-up and playoffs.

Gronk when healthy is worth more than they are paying him. Under this type of arrangement he is still worth $10 million if it means a championship.

I say keep the gang together Brady-Gronk-Edelman as long as possible.

Mark Bavaro credits Belichick with extending his career ...
We have also witnessed how Bill treated Roman Phifer ...
I think extending Gronks career is on the table ... makes sense to me.

Is that what Rob wants?

Mark Bavaro credits Belichick with extending his career ...
We have also witnessed how Bill treated Roman Phifer ...
I think extending Gronks career is on the table ... makes sense to me.

Is that what Rob wants?

The Roman Phifer example is spot on in terms of what I would expect to see along with an extension/restructure of his deal to both minimize his cap hit and increase his actual cash paid out if Gronk decides to continue playing

Gronk isn't on a pitch count anymore. He is on a game count. I would say he has 5 or 6 really good games left in him if you manage him well and don't ask him to do too much.

If Gronk stays it i to block most of the time and then help the Patriots in the playoffs run and against key opponents in the regular season IMO. There is no need for him to go out for a single pass in half the games we'll be playing this year.

Play him against KC full go in the regular season. That is the only game you want to even try to get Gronk 100 yards.

Play him 75% vs Houston and maybe Pitt... I wouldn't bother using him much vs any other team in the regular season. I am not a believer in Baltimore being able to get past 10 wins with Lamar and IDK if we face any other teams likely to get 11 or more wins in the AFC.

I think it’s morre than the rest and pitch count issues when it comes to Gronk continuing his career. I was happy to see Gronk go to Guerrero and take up his program in terms of his flexibility and pliability, and I think it helped in certain ways. However the critics of it had some real points when they talked about how the changes in his workouts had reduced his explosiveness and overall strength, and I think for him to be successful going forward he’s going to have to return to some of the strength and conditioning programs that gave him greater strength and explosiveness, while continuing to work with Guerrero on his flexibility and pliability. Imo he’s young enough to get those qualities back, and do so without sacrificing the benefits of Guerrero’s program for him.

I think it’s morre than the rest and pitch count issues when it comes to Gronk continuing his career. I was happy to see Gronk go to Guerrero and take up his program in terms of his flexibility and pliability, and I think it helped in certain ways. However the critics of it had some real points when they talked about how the changes in his workouts had reduced his explosiveness and overall strength, and I think for him to be successful going forward he’s going to have to return to some of the strength and conditioning programs that gave him greater strength and explosiveness, while continuing to work with Guerrero on his flexibility and pliability. Imo he’s young enough to get those qualities back, and do so without sacrificing the benefits of Guerrero’s program for him.

The dude has been dominating blocking people at the line. You don't do that when you're lacking strength. He has had consistent back and hamstring issues through his career. I'm sure they were limiting hits while he was injured

I think the concept of balance is well taken. I also believe as was the case with Phifer that once a certain age, wear and tear and level of cumulative injury is reached there's something to be said for ensuring a savvy knowledgeable veteran doesn't leave to much of his game on the practice field

Last edited:
The dude has been dominating blocking people at the line. You don't do that when you're lacking strength. He has had consistent back and hamstring issues through his career. I'm sure they were limiting hits while he was injured

The reports of a bulging disc are consistent with the stiffness, and turning limitations, we were seeing during the season. It's also consistent with being better after layoffs, and would be something that can be managed through the off season.

Watching gronkowski try to run was extremely painful.

He’s had what, 3 back surgeries? Something tells me he needs to move on with his life while he can still walk.

They should give gronk the first 6 games off - then ramp him up after that. Get him in peak shape for the playoffs; don't worry about his regular season contribution.

Kind of like Clemens in his Texas days.

They should give gronk the first 6 games off - then ramp him up after that. Get him in peak shape for the playoffs; don't worry about his regular season contribution.

Sounds good but not at $10M.

He needs to think about his long term health. His body is in pain most of the time when not resting.

I think everyone is going overboard with the manage Gronk talk. He dealt with two injuries early in the year when he comes back next year he should be full go. He probably won't play all 16 but hopefully he doesn't run into things that linger quite like this year.

Gronkowski attitude was down for most of the year. Only when he saw the light at the end of the tunnel did his personality resurface.

I just don’t think his heart is in it to go through the rigors of another offseason and season.

IMO, football players play football. No days off. Consistency. That is the kind of commitment one should make to play in the NFL. If your heart isn't in it, hang em' up.

There are ways to manage players by lessening practices, more walk throughs, and etc...but come Sunday availability is the most important trait. I'd love to keep Gronk in bubble wrap until the playoffs like everyone else....I wince every time he takes a big hit (I worry about Edelman too)....but I'd rather send out a player that is fearless vs. Someone thinking about sitting on the couch at home.

It is a brutual sport...remember Belichick making Katz to practice to be sure he could play? Brutual sport....

While I agree that his playing time should be managed, I don’t think it should be as extreme as what you’re suggesting.

After all, the regular season games are important, too. Without winning the tiebreaker over Houston last year, we don’t get the first round bye, and having that first round bye practically guarantees another appearance in the AFCCG.

He needs couple more great seasons to be a first ballot hof :rolleyes:

BS. He’s already a first ballot HoF guy. Brady already gets to HoF from his first 3 SBs and 2007 heroics. If you had to pick one player besides Brady from the 2010s teams that won 3 Superbowls and got to 5 Superbowls and 8 AFC championships....... it’s Gronk. His peak has been more dominant and explosive than any other TE ever and his career is long enough.

Managing Gronk’s workload would be greatly helped by upgrading the #2 and #3 TEs on the roster in 2019. Dwayne Allen is a professional and a better than average blocker. But, the QB has no confidence in him whatsoever as a receiver.

Reportedly, one of Gronk’s ailments lat season was Achilles tendinitis. That’s the reason I’m awake at this lovely hour. I’m suffering with it in my right Achilles, and, right now, it is aching like a bastard. Kudos to Gronk for being able to play through this. No wonder he moved so slow and struggled to run. I’m struggling just to walk with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST