PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Excerpt from book on Brady and Manning re:BB and Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
The book is out, I purchased the kindle version a few days ago. Like an above poster said, it is just OK. I feel like there's nothing new really covered here and I'm not terribly interested in reading about Peyton Manning's life. I'm really skimming through a lot of it because I already know it, or I just don't care, OR the author is pissing me off (as he does re: Spygate….ie. If it wasn't giving BB an advantage, why do it, etc. etc.) I did laugh at the chapter about training camp pranks, although again, it wasn't exactly new stuff.
Agree there were a few Deflate/Spygate mentions that didn't need to be there. I did like the pranks chapter and there was a little more life to Brady's struggles to get on the field at Michigan. But, again, mostly a collection of what we already new.

I actually liked the Manning sections as I pay little attention to him so there was a bit of stuff there that shed somewhat of a new light on him for me.

Yeah, there was some decent Manning stuff but I can't say I was ever dying to know about the life and times and Manning and co. It wasn't uninteresting though, just not what I would ever seek out.

I don't think Welker is a good example. He was here 6 years and signed a contract midway, not exactly shipping him out. When he did leave he was 32 and broke down.
Welker is the textbook example of Belichick letting a guy go a year too early instead of a year too late. He had a fine year in Denver his first year. Not as good as his New England years, but still some very respectable numbers and a valuable contributor. Then last year, he was pretty abysmal.

Patriots let him go when he still had 1 year left. Broncos kept him on their team 1 year past his expiration date.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/24/...lationship-new-england-patriots?xid=si_social

This book should be pretty good I think. This excerpt is pretty interesting, especially this part:

Brady Sr. hears a lot about his Tom’s relationship with Belichick. He agrees with Tom’s assessment. “Tommy has said to me different times, Belichick has a perfect soldier with me,” Brady Sr. said. “Tommy is the perfect foil for Belichick. When Randy Moss comes in and sees Tommy getting chewed out and not coming back at it and accepting it, the other 52 guys fall in line. That is absolutely the ideal military regimen he inherited from his father at Navy. That’s exactly what he wants. If you have somebody who doesn’t fall in line, like a Wes Welker, you are out the door. Tommy is absolutely the perfect quarterback for Bill Belichick because he understands what Belichick is doing and he has enough pride to know that no matter what Belichick might say to diminish his efforts, it’s not going to impact who he is and what he knows he can do.”

Guess we know why Wes is gone. Or partly why.

This book excerpt is really, really interesting. BB has been compared to Greg Popovich many times because of their military background/upbringing, record for sustained excellence, respect they hold from players and other coaches, approach to the media, etc. It now occurs to me that there is one other similarity, Tom Brady is BB's Tim Duncan.

Popovich has mentioned many times that he is able to yell at Tim Duncan just like any other player and Duncan always listens attentively and tries to follow orders, and then all of the other players fall into line because if the great Tim Duncan accepts being reamed out by Popovich they are certainly going to also. I guess Brady is that way with BB according to this book, very interesting.

When the Spurs won their 5th ring (over 15 years of sustained excellence, sound familiar?), there was an article that opined if a coach was smart and they could take any player in NBA history in their youth, it should be Tim Duncan, because he was a coach's dream: he was talented, a great team mate, smart, loyal, he took hard coaching, etc., etc.:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2014/06/17/tim-duncan-is-the-greatest-gift-to-coaching/

If you read this article that explains all of the reasons that any smart coach should have selected Duncan over any other player, it occurs to me that you could substitute "Tom Brady" for "Tim Duncan" and the article still rings true. Not only is Tom Brady the greatest of all time, he is the perfect player as far a a coach is concerned: talented, a great leader and team mate, brilliant football intelligence, loyal, and according to this book able to take hard coaching. A coach's dream.

Last edited:
I don't think Welker is a good example. He was here 6 years and signed a contract midway, not exactly shipping him out. When he did leave he was 32 and broke down.

Agree. But I guess we'd need see book and how it relates. Maybe there were previous chapters specifically about the final moments of WW/BB as such.

This book excerpt is really, really interesting. BB has been compared to Greg Popovich many times because of their military background/upbringing, record for sustained excellence, respect they hold from players and other coaches, approach to the media, etc. It now occurs to me that there is one other similarity, Tom Brady is BB's Tim Duncan.

Popovich has mentioned many times that he is able to yell at Tim Duncan just like any other player and Duncan always listens attentively and tries to follow orders, and then all of the other players fall into line because if the great Tim Duncan accepts being reamed out by Popovich they are certainly going to also. I guess Brady is that way with BB according to this book, very interesting.

When the Spurs won their 5th ring (over 15 years of sustained excellence, sound familiar?), there was an article that opined if a coach was smart and they could take any player in NBA history in their youth, it should be Tim Duncan, because he was a coach's dream: he was talented, a great team mate, smart, loyal, he took hard coaching, etc., etc.:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2014/06/17/tim-duncan-is-the-greatest-gift-to-coaching/

If you read this article that explains all of the reasons that any smart coach should have selected Duncan over any other player, it occurs to me that you could substitute "Tom Brady" for "Tim Duncan" and the article still rings true. Not only is Tom Brady the greatest of all time, he is the perfect player as far a a coach is concerned: talented, a great leader and team mate, brilliant football intelligence, loyal, and according to this book able to take hard coaching. A coach's dream.

Besides the whole #1 vs #199 thing. :). But totally agree. I guess it's also someone a coach would need to draft or find very, very early into their careers.

It sometimes perturbs me how so many in the media call Brady "The Golden Boy". OK, he's handsome and married a super model. But the other guy has everything handed to him on a silver platter, growing up in a wealthy household as the son of an ex-NFLer.

Brady wasn't the full time starter in college. The other guy was an entitled jerk who committed sexual assault on a trainer. Brady was drafted in the 6th round and immediately assigned 4th string status. He had to work his butt off to rise through the ranks, became the primary backup, then took advantage of the hand fate dealt him (and all of Patriots Nation) in 2001. The other guy was drafted #1 overall and made the starter immediately. He is the consummate diva who has blamed teammates for his own failures.

It sometimes perturbs me how so many in the media call Brady "The Golden Boy". OK, he's handsome and married a super model. But the other guy has everything handed to him on a silver platter, growing up in a wealthy household as the son of an ex-NFLer.

Brady wasn't the full time starter in college. The other guy was an entitled jerk who committed sexual assault on a trainer. Brady was drafted in the 6th round and immediately assigned 4th string status. He had to work his butt off to rise through the ranks, became the primary backup, then took advantage of the hand fate dealt him (and all of Patriots Nation) in 2001. The other guy was drafted #1 overall and made the starter immediately. He is the consummate diva who has blamed teammates for his own failures.
Peyton had to overcome that fivehead.

Patriots let him go when he still had 1 year left. Broncos kept him on their team 1 year past his expiration date.

This, to me, is the #1 greatest quality that GM Bill Belichick has.

No one knows when a player is done, better than Bill Belichick. No one. Even when he cut Milloy, he played for a few more years, but he was never a pro bowl-level player again. Law had one really good year, then bounced around for a couple of years.

Haha, unsurprisingly, that trainer incident didn't exactly make it into the book.

Great post Zyd.:)

Good post.

Joe Posanski is a pretty good writer and I understand where he is coming from taking Duncan over MJ, Russell, Magic or Larry is nuts.

Jabbar, Wilt, Baylor or Big-O...absolutely.

Good post.

Joe Posanski is a pretty good writer and I understand where he is coming from taking Duncan over MJ, Russell, Magic or Larry is nuts.

Jabbar, Wilt, Baylor or Big-O...absolutely.

Since we're talking about coaches yelling at a star player, a different twist from Red Auerbach.

Heinsohn was an absolute whipping boy and he was a great player too. Story goes one time Heinsohn went for 30 points and 20 rebounds [lot more missed shots then] and instead of praise, red ripped into him for lousy defense. Heinsohn could care less [they had a deal] but the marginal players were horrified and made sure they hustled.

However, the star player was so intense and sensitive, the same tactic blew up on Red. Russell hated practice and would lope around at half speed, going throught the motions.

Red lit into him like he did to Heinsohn and Russell just got pissed and started sprinting down the court on every practice play, blocking every shot, scoring every basket, stealing balls and basically making a mockery of the concept.

Red never treated him like Heinsohn again, with pretty good results. When a guy is so intense he throws up before every game [maybe playoffs, I always wondered] It's probably better to leave him alone, you know he's committed and he wasn't being disrespectful.

Different personalities. Probably more important than the Xs and Os.

Also, basketball practice is a far cry from football practice. It's 5 guys and the same few plays.

Since we're talking about coaches yelling at a star player, a different twist from Red Auerbach.

Heinsohn was an absolute whipping boy and he was a great player too. Story goes one time Heinsohn went for 30 points and 20 rebounds [lot more missed shots then] and instead of praise, red ripped into him for lousy defense. Heinsohn could care less [they had a deal] but the marginal players were horrified and made sure they hustled.

However, the star player was so intense and sensitive, the same tactic blew up on Red. Russell hated practice and would lope around at half speed, going throught the motions.

Red lit into him like he did to Heinsohn and Russell just got pissed and started sprinting down the court on every practice play, blocking every shot, scoring every basket, stealing balls and basically making a mockery of the concept.

Red never treated him like Heinsohn again, with pretty good results. When a guy is so intense he throws up before every game [maybe playoffs, I always wondered] It's probably better to leave him alone, you know he's committed and he wasn't being disrespectful.

I had heard the Heinsohn story but not the Russell one. Thanks for sharing. My dad used to go to a ton of Celtics games back then and the player that he compared the most to Russell that I could relate to was Dennis Rodman. Russell was slightly taller and could jump higher, but just as tenacious and fought for everything.

Yes- Russell did barf before playoff games too. Not sure the year (well before I was born)that when Red found out that Russell had not barfed before a 7th Game vs Philly, Red ordered Russell to throw up. He did barf and the Cs won.

Red was a genius.

Always 1 move ahead of everyone else.

Watching that video makes me think Welker was a bit too friendly with BB. Because they got on so well and could have a laugh/joke then Welker sometimes over stepped the mark in other stuff. Like the guy in work who is friends with the boss but ends up being the cheekiest/least respectful cause he thinks can get away with it

Just basing that on the video and what others have said, just a theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick