PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Excellent Garoppolo article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else see the parallel?

Montana - Brady
Young - Gap
They're all QBs?

That is where the parallel ends. You need to take a step back look at how the Montana/Young back to back transpired. You clearly lack an understanding of you see a parallel.

If he is Tom's successor than the bar will be set very high for him. He'll be expected to win the AFC east every year at the very minimum.

If Garoppolo's development keeps Tom Brady unsettled in his position and at the top of his game, how can this be construed as a negative? Brady lives for this sort of thing and I'm sure BB will be telling him all about it.

I am hopeful that when TFB decides to hang it up, it happens either of two ways. Either in Elwayesque fashion, he wins a few more Super Bowls (okay even one more) and decides to go out on top or when it is time, he'll know and decide ala Bruschi to walk away and sail off onto his next endeavor...
My nightmare as others have written is that his skills decline and BB wants to change QBs but TFB thinks he has earned the right to continue playing......I guess that will be the 2017 ESPN story line...to try to create controversy...

As far as I can tell, no one. At least not with any sincerity.

It seems like Brady6 has gone back to his previous view where anyone replacing Brady has to be better than Brady in his prime, even if Brady logically will decline with age which means that his sucessor probably won't have to be better than prime Brady to be our best QB at some point.

I actually think that Garoppolo might replace Brady for us whem Bradys contract is up, but that doesn't mean that I think that he will be better than Brady ever was. Just that he might, at some point, be better for the future Patriots than a 40+ year old Brady is.

2nd year Jimmy G could be the best Brady backup to date. It will be interesting to see how much he improved at training camp.

While we all have hopes that Garoppolo either is Brady's eventual replacement, if necessary, or a guy who we can flip for a high pick if Brady keeps playing at a high level, if he does nothing more than allow the Pats to get/keep other players due to the cap savings of a 1st contract backup QB, BB may feel that was worth the pick.

If he is Tom's successor than the bar will be set very high for him. He'll be expected to win the AFC east every year at the very minimum.

You almost have to feel for him, or for the next QB to play in Foxboro. They're going to have gigantic shoes to fill in. Anything less than the AFC will be considered failure.

Talk about pressure.

“In the fourth quarter, Tom, at the Super Bowl: 13-for-15; last drive 6-for-6,” Christensen said. “And I was telling (New Orleans Saints head coach) Sean Payton earlier … I said that last drive, Brady’s drive, ‘Have you ever seen anything like that before in your life?’ And Sean says ‘not really,’ and he knew what I meant.

My favourite part of the article. :)

No one wants to play for a losing team with no future quarterback either.

If the Patriots keep winning, players will want to come here.

Revis didn't come here because Belichick was all warm and fuzzy to Lawyer Milloy, Richard Seymour, Drew Bledsoe or Wes Welker ...... or because the Patriots offered him the most money.

He came here because this is the ultimate T-E-A-M and the FIRST AND ONLY goal is to win - - -not to sing kumbaya commemoratives to QBs past their usefulness.

Tom's dad knows what you don't.

Kevin Williams didn't want to come here. :(

Now he paid for it, quite literally I should say! :p

I am hopeful that when TFB decides to hang it up, it happens either of two ways. Either in Elwayesque fashion, he wins a few more Super Bowls (okay even one more) and decides to go out on top or when it is time, he'll know and decide ala Bruschi to walk away and sail off onto his next endeavor...

I thought BB called him in the office and they had a discussion and then he called it a career.

They're all QBs?

That is where the parallel ends. You need to take a step back look at how the Montana/Young back to back transpired. You clearly lack an understanding of you see a parallel.

I'm referring to their style/ability as athletes.

Also you clearly lack an understanding of grammar.

Some comments on the comments:

1. I see Jimmy G as a 3 year project. Forget about his little entre this year, Jimmy G is NOT ready to run an NFL offense yet. And I don't think that he will be for another 2 years. His jump from Eastern Illinois to the NFL is as big a leap as you can get. Remember is going from an offense where he rarely was under center, had no rule book and was playing 1AA football, to make the jump to perhaps the most difficult and complex offense in the NFL to master

2. A good example of his potential learning arc is Tony Romo, who spent 3 full years in the Dallas Organization before he got some meaningful time in his 4th year. And it still took him a few years after that before he started to reach is potential. Romo, also from E. Illinois, has turned out to be a very good NFL QB, but it took over 5 years before it happened

3. My hope is that the Pats don't have to give him any significant time over the next 2 years. That should give him enough time to learn his craft. At THAT point in 2017 he would actually be ready to challenge Brady for the job. But for the next two seasons, I don't see him as being a threat to Brady, even in decline. Brady is going to be our QB the next 2 years....period. Get used to it.

4. I think Tom Brady wants to play as long as he can play well. We all know that Brady was the best QB in TC in 2001, and the reason he never went back to Drew was the BB believed that he was the best QB to run our system. If Brady comes into TC in 2017 and Jinny is the best QB in camp, I think Brady would understand.

Now I believe that, like Drew, Brady would always believe he's the guy, but he would respect BB's opinion. If he disagreed he'd want to move on. IF he saw the writing on the wall, and that the kid was simply better, he'd retire on the spot. I think Brady understands competition and its consequences. So it Brady's time with the Pats might not end as we like, I doubt very much it would be an "ugly" ending.

5. In the article it should be noted that if Jimmy was coming out THIS year, he'd be lumped right with Winston and Marriota, but probably 3rd because of where he played. If the Pats done what I wanted and waited until this year, the pickings would have been much slimmer. Once again BB proved to be smarter than me.

6. People should remember that Brady wasn't Brady his first 3 or 4 years in the league. If he'd had to play in 2000, it would have been a disaster that might have ended his career before it started. He simply wasn't ready,

There was plenty of praise and hype Mallett. There were articles last year during the draft that Belichick turned down a second round pick twice offered for Mallett.

Garoppolo is an interesting prospect, nothing more than that. Referring to him as Brady 2.0 when Brady is the greatest QB to ever play the game is idiotic. They both are QBs, they both play for the Patriots and they both have a pulse, that is about the only things they have in common at this time.

Do you remember all the hype and articles about James White during the preseason?

Until Garoppolo is starting and teams are game planing against him we have no idea.
No, there wasn't. And no, nobody waxed all that enthusiastic about James White, and whatever they were doing, they stopped the second he hit the field and did /absolutely nothing/.

You keep refusing to acknowledge that Mallet /never once/ managed to look as smooth, poised and accurate as JG did in his first game.

I don't think Brady gives a rats ass if Garoppolo is on the team or not. He is probably friendly and helpful because that is what Brady does but I don't think he treats Garoppolo any different than a street UDFA.

Not that we could know, but Brady would train with Cassel in CA in the offseason. And would vacation with Welker. If he does something like that w JG it would indicate a friendship.

Doesn't really matter either way in football terms. Maybe I'll pick up a copy of "People" magazine to confirm.

No, there wasn't. And no, nobody waxed all that enthusiastic about James White, and whatever they were doing, they stopped the second he hit the field and did /absolutely nothing/.

You keep refusing to acknowledge that Mallet /never once/ managed to look as smooth, poised and accurate as JG did in his first game.
What does how Mallett look matter? There was still hype and we both know it.

Until Garoppolo starts at QB and performs any suggestions of him being the Young to Brady’s Montana is pure foolishness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back