PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Every Jimmy G pass sunday write up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
As the thread said. This is my thoughts on every pass he made. I could do this for AZ too but that be 33 more to go through. This is a tape EVERYONE in the NFL is going to look. Lets see what is there beyond the stats.

Drive 1

#1 - 1st and 10 @25 - Edelman over the middle. This pass is caught in stride at the 34 and taken to . This was a pretty simple first read open and throw it appears but the ball gets there in stride and makes it possible to get 5 YAC yards for a total of 14. Perfectly executed but it won't get much easier than first read open. Still worth noting Jimmy was under pressure by Alonzo adding some degree of difficulty and took a hit to make this pass.
-Blount run for 10 first down.
-Blount run for -1
#2 2nd and 11 @47 - This was a designed dump off pass to Foster who catches it 4 yards behind the LOS and makes 2 yards on the play. This was a designed play and IDK if there was another option to go to besides this. Jimmy does the pass well but not much there and this is a very easy pass.
#3 3rd and 9 @ 49 - This was a 3 WR bunch formation the the right and Edelman on the left. I think the play was designed to go right but when Jimmy was the huge cushion Edelman was given pre snap I think he decided to go there. Caught a yard short of the first down marker and Edelman picks up the rest. Not a hard pass but a very heads up read by Jimmy here. Goes for 11.
#4 1st and 10 @ 40 - A designed play to Bennett with a pass 3 yards behind the LOS with down field blocking. Not a difficult pass but Jimmy does well here. The thing that stuck out to me on this play is how well he sold the hand off. It seemed everyone ignore Bennett which is odd considering how he is moving to get into position on this play. Well done on the small things by Jimmy. 26 yard gain.
-Blount run for 1
#5 2nd and 9 @ 14 - This is arguably Jimmy's best pass of the day. He hits Amendola at the 5 but he is looking right the whole time forcing the LB who should be on Amendola to cheat a little over there. Once he does Jimmy snaps back to Amendola who is behind the LB and about 2 yards to his left. If he did not look off this be an incomplete pass or he jumps the route but Jimmy makes him over commit and he can't recover before Jimmy lazers in the ball even though he is right there. This is the stuff NFL coachs harp on. Also worth noting the throw leads him well and allows him to carry his momentum towards the end zone while throwing the ball on the move. This one scores an A+ Touchdown for 14 yards.

Drive 2

#6 1st and 10 @ 25 - This play seemed designed for Bennett as a dump off as that is where Jimmy is looking. However we quickly identifies 3 Miami defenders at the LOS and instantly attacks Hogan who is free behind them. A good quick decision and smart read for easy money and taking advantage a defensive miscommunication. Ball thrown to the 36 and Hogan gets you to the 44.
#7 1st and 10 @ 44 - A quick throw 4 yards behind the LOS to Edelman. Edelman makes a 9 yards gain out of it. What sticks out to me about these passes is the release. It is quicker than Tom's and one of the quickest i have ever seen in the NFL. This allows defenses half a step less to react than they usually would cause of how quickly the play gets going.
-Blount run 3 yards
#8 2nd and 7 @41 - This is a play in which the coaches trust Jimmy to pick from a number of options with 4 targets. Pressure gets to Jimmy but he moves up to avoid it. Does it very calmly too keeping his eyes down field. He throws to Hogan who gets open by a hair cutting to the inside and has him high point the ball which is the smart move cause defends are close enough that a normal pass might get blocked or if he lead him down the field he would have lead him into a hard hit. Very good execution and a smart choice here which nets 20 yards.
-blount run 1 yard
#9 2nd and 9 @20 - Incomplete. Not much was open here but maybe he could have tried a back shoulder on the sideline to Edelman. He also could have afforded ot hold on to the ball a bit longer as i think he still had a second of protection left. Not a bad pass though and though the LB doesn't make an amazing play to stop it he does force the LB to make a decent play to stop it.
#10 3rd and 9 @20 - Most QBs here think first down and Jimmy might have been too but he is not afraid to throw a bit deeper if he feels he has a guy. 4 guys run down the field and i think White breaks late to be a safety valve on a short pass. IDK if the LB got stuck looking at White or if he just did not expect Bennett to run a verticle route. Either way he just freezes and lets Bennett get behind him and after that Jimmy locks on and with no hesitation goes for the all or nothing which was a 25 yard pass and hits him in stride. This was a very good play by Jimmy cause I don't think the play was automatically designed to go there but he reads the defenders mistake very quickly and a moment later the ball the go. Showing quick read ability.

Drive 3

#11 1st and 10 @24 - Not much here to say. Edelman sits in a zone and catches it at the 30 and dives to the 33. Too easy but a good quick decisive read.
-Blount 3 yards run
#12 1st and 10 @36 - Pats take a shot here and sell a play action hard. Jimmy drops deep and has Slater open but over throws him. I think this was a rookie mistake by Jimmy personally. Everyone over throws people but Jimmy needs to know when your WR has 4-5 yards on the defender behind him you are better off making him slow down than trying to hit him in stride 50 yards down the field. Everyone misses but this is a play you want to be your you give your WR a chance on. He will learn but everyone misses too.
#13 2nd and 10 @36 - Honestly I don't know what to make of this pass. Either it is a huge mistake or a huge heads up play. A LB is right there besides Amendola but has his head turned. Did Jimmy know he wouldn't see the pass and slipped it right by his nose or did he try to force one in and was lucky the guy was not looking this time and lucky not to be picked off? Depends how much Jimmy saw. Amendola turns an 8 yard pass into 13 on a pass that was on a wire.
-Blount 3 yards
#14 2nd and 7 @ 48 - Jimmy hangs in the pocket a long times and keeps looking left. A Pity cause He had Edelman open who would have gotten maybe 20 on the right. Jimmy has done well reading the field this game but he missed one her which is too bad cause he should have had enough time to read the whole field
#15 3rd and 7 @48 - Jimmy makes a nice play here. Nothing Fancy. IT was going to Edelman over the middle all the way and he makes a nice catch after getting open quickly for 19 yards and gets about half of those after the catch.
#16A 1st and 10 @ 29 - A good play by Jimmy to not take the sack but he should have thrown this way sooner. That was mostly luck and almost a negative play of 10 yards. I don't wanna harp on him cause the pressure came fast but he needs to try to avoid having the escapes sacks which are as death to rights as these. Holding anyway.. I wanted to make this point though.
#16B 1st and 20 @39 - Nice little dump off to Foster 5 yards behind the LOS and he turns it into an 7 yard gain
-White run 13 yards.
-blount -1 yards
#17 2nd and 12 @ 18 - Hits Edelman in stride going across the shallow middle and Edelman picks up 3 more after the catch to make 8.
#18 3rd and 4 @ 10 - A very heads up and hard play by Jimmy on what appears to some to be an easy pass. IT was an all out blitz allowing 4 1v1 match ups. Jimmy back peddles with no time and looks at Amendola over the middle he does a little juke move and breaks to the empty inside on his route. Jimmy threads a pass on his back foot going backwards for a TD.

More to come.

Last post
#19 1st and 10 @ 48 - This i felt was rushed a bit. Jimmy sells a great play fake has great protection and then tosses a short pass to Hogan after for 4. I think he should have stayed patient cause the play did not fully develop. I will call this a half mistake.
-White 2 yard run
#20 3rd and 4 @ 42 - I like the fact the Pats when 5 wide and trusted Jimmy. I honestly think this would have been 30 yard gain to white if protection holds up. No blame here he got hit while throwing. However this makes his play on first down a bit more questionable in retrospect. Punt.
#21 1st and 10 @31 - This was a miss i think. From what i could see Jimmy had Bennett open and maybe Edelman down the sideline but i can't tell if there was a safety over the top. Mitchell wanted a DPI and maybe he deserved one but i didn't mind the play much. I think Jimmy missed a chance here TBH
#22 2nd and 10 @31 - This was a nice play. Not a hard throw to White behind the line but he really did well selling the fake looking down the field before turning around to toss it. He does sell his fakes very well IMO. White gets 5 here
#23A 3rd and 5 @36 - Jimmy gets sacked but a hands to the face takes it away.
-blount 1 yard
#23B 2nd and 9 @42 - I liked this pass through it fell incomplete. The defended was right behind Edelman and if he threw a more catchable ball maybe something weird happens. He makes Edelman high point it and he can't hang out. Tough break but the correct decision IMO.
#24 3rd and 9 - Jimmy seemed to make an adjustment at the line and finds Amendola over the middle for a first but the ball is fumbled :(
#25 1st and 10 @48 - Jimmy under pressure forces a dump off pass short. A smart play in the situation. Either a 2 yard catch or incomplete. Jimmy made very few mistakes in the regular season and this kind of play shows why.
#26A Incomplete to Edelman behind the LOS. For the best as it would not have gone for anything. This is the kind of play you audible out of or after it is not there go somewhere else. However it is doubtful Jimmy had much time here but he could have extented the play rolling to his right.
-personal foul
#26B 1st and 10 @37 - Pass to Bennett behind the LOS and a drop. Not much was there anyway i though.
-blount run 1 yard
#27 3rd and 9 @36 - We all know what happened this play. :( Great play but Jimmy needs to do better with not taking as many hits.

Overall I give this an A-

Some mistakes made but this is a very good NFL start period. IF your QB plays like this in the NFL you are happy pretty much no matter who they are be it Tannehill or Brady. This was high level play at the NFL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back