PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Every 1st down run by the Jets...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't Vince Wilfork supposed to be a dominant run stopper?

He always seems to disappear against the elite centers of the NFL, like Mangold and O'Hara and Saturday. I don't think the Pats had that problem during the one season that Ted Washington was around. I'm not saying that he's overrated but it's been a disturbingly recurring pattern since the 2007 AFC Championship game.

Idk man, I didn't think wilfork played that bad tonight.....he was double teamed on many occasions, others have to step up....

Mayo has difficulty shedding blocks. He also uses poor technique to bring down bigger runners at times. He needs to tackle lower and use leverage to hold his ground. He got pushed back a lot by Greene tonight.

A lot of the rushes just seemed like we were getting beat on the point of attack. There blockers consistently got to the 2nd level and the DL was getting pushed back 2 yards every time.

Wasn't Vince Wilfork supposed to be a dominant run stopper?

He always seems to disappear against the elite centers of the NFL, like Mangold and O'Hara and Saturday. I don't think the Pats had that problem during the one season that Ted Washington was around. I'm not saying that he's overrated but it's been a disturbingly recurring pattern since the 2007 AFC Championship game.

Huh? Wilfork abused Mangold one on one and was the only DL to show up constantly throughout the game. Deaderick and Warren were the ones getting blown off the ball consistently. Ninkovich and TBC were the ones having boatloads of trouble setting edge.

The DL actually did well 'enough'. Anyone who came into this game thinking we were going to shut down the run was living in a fool's paradise. This was a patchwork DL that needed to keep us from getting gashed. For the most part it did that. The Jets were forced into third downs and into the air.

The rush defense was actually good enough to win how the Patriots win. The pass defense was probably good enough too (the two big plays are what hurts). The Patriots won all season long by superior offense and serviceable defense. Winning by scoring early and often and causing the opposition to become 1 dimensional. With the Patriot offense sputtering badly (AFTER the first two drives), the Patriots became an average team. Not scoring TDs on those first two drives and jumping out to 14-0 (or 10-0) smashed down the main pillar of the Patriot method of winning. The rest will live in infamy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft