PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Every 1st down run by the Jets...

Status
Not open for further replies.

condon84

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Seems like almost every 1st down run by the Jets netted them 4-5 yards and put them in favorable position to get another first down. I can't understand why we weren't more prepared to handle their running game when everyone knew they were going to pound the ball in there.

Mayo was a non-factor in a game that should have been taylor made for him to shine.

Where was spikes in the first half? Guyton was his replacement, are you kidding me? He is more of a coverage linebacker. He did make some stops for loss but on most plays he was out of position. And Mayo, I don't know man, I'm starting to lose hope in this guy. 3 years in the league and hasn't made his statement as a linebacker except in that bills game.

Last edited:
I'm going to defer to whomever studies the film on this one. I mostly watched DL play today, but when I did watch Mayo, it seemed that there was somehow a lineman on him. Not sure how that happens when you're lining up behind Wilfork as much as he was, but it was still the case from what little amount of times that I watched him.

Hard to make plays when the RG runs right past the NT to block you. The design of this defense revolves around the DL, SILB, and OLBs taking up blockers and funneling the runner to the WILB. The DL (which was missing 4 of its top 7) was more to blame than Mayo. Getting off blocks isn't his job. Keeping blocks off him is the DL's job.

Where was spikes in the first half? Guyton was his replacement, are you kidding me? He is more of a coverage linebacker. He did make some stops for loss but on most plays he was out of position. And Mayo, I don't know man, I'm starting to lose hope in this guy. 3 years in the league and hasn't made his statement as a linebacker except in that bills game.

I noticed this as well. Guyton is terrible against the run, very slow. Spikes' strength is run defense.

As for Mayo, come on. He led the league in tackles this year...

The D-line was running on fumes and was patchwork at best. Kyle Love starting at NT, Gerald Warren starting at DE (not a good run stuffer at all) and the one true SILB on the team rusty as can be is gonna lead to a bad rush defense.

The D-line was running on fumes and was patchwork at best. Kyle Love starting at NT, Gerald Warren starting at DE (not a good run stuffer at all) and the one true SILB on the team rusty as can be is gonna lead to a bad rush defense.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention that Spikes was rusty. Of course, it doesn't help that both Moore and Ninkovich were hurt during the game and TBC and Cunningham have been banged up. None of the front-7 did their job, really.

Yeah I know he did, but most of those tackles come after the runner has gained about 5 yards or more. I was expecting a Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, all the other great linebackers out of him. I guess I'll give him one more chance before I completely lose my hope on him.

I noticed this as well. Guyton is terrible against the run, very slow. Spikes' strength is run defense.

Stats don't tell the whole story.

But back to this game thought, Mayo reads the plays too slow and by the time he reacts, the ball carrier is already past the first level or that he has a blocker in this face. Tonight, he had a hard time shedding blocks, but his instincts really is what's disappointing.

As far as our DL is concerned, although they were down some men, they held up pretty well and held their ground. LBs have to step up and fill those holes and make plays. Guyton did a couple of times.

But back to this game thought, Mayo reads the plays too slow and by the time he reacts, the ball carrier is already past the first level or that he has a blocker in this face. Tonight, he had a hard time shedding blocks, but his instincts really is what's disappointing.

As far as our DL is concerned, although they were down some men, they held up pretty well and held their ground. LBs have to step up and fill those holes and make plays. Guyton did a couple of times.

Mayo's instincts are fine. His issues with shedding blocks are something that's been there his entire career.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to mention that Spikes was rusty. Of course, it doesn't help that both Moore and Ninkovich were hurt during the game and TBC and Cunningham have been banged up. None of the front-7 did their job, really.

It's not something that really matters but Big Vince did his job and then some. The Jets were clearly scared to run any play in his direction, nothing got by Vince today and because of him the defense took longer to implode than it otherwise would have.

True that our DL held up pretty good. Only if it wasn't for all the other guys being injured I think we may have had a chance. And you also have to put some of the blame on the safety, where was Merriweather? He was non existent. I feel like we really need to draft a safety to replace him.

defense gave 1 TD when they started at the 20 yard line .rest were mostly shorter fields. D did what it could.

Guyton was awful. The DL got beat pretty bad in the trenches and the credit needs to go to the Jets OL, they are pretty good.

True that our DL held up pretty good. Only if it wasn't for all the other guys being injured I think we may have had a chance. And you also have to put some of the blame on the safety, where was Merriweather? He was non existent. I feel like we really need to draft a safety to replace him.

Merriweather was playing deep for the most part. We can't put the blame on him. Chung was playing closer to the LOS.

The defensive issues today were mostly because of injuries/being at least a year away from really coming together. The D-line thrived all year because of how it could rotate players in and out, but with injuries guys like Love, Warren and Deaderick had to take on much bigger roles than they are capable of having. With subpar D-line play they really needed the ILBs to step up against the run but that wasn't gonna happen with Spikes not playing in over 1 month. The run defense sucked, but you couldn't have had great expections from a defense starting Kyle Love at NT.

The defensive issues today were mostly because of injuries/being at least a year away from really coming together. The D-line thrived all year because of how it could rotate players in and out, but with injuries guys like Love, Warren and Deaderick had to take on much bigger roles than they are capable of having. With subpar D-line play they really needed the ILBs to step up against the run but that wasn't gonna happen with Spikes not playing in over 1 month. The run defense sucked, but you couldn't have had great expections from a defense starting Kyle Love at NT.

The defense didn't play well at all in the second half, but I think a lot of it in the first half was being handed terrible field position due to what the offense and special teams were not able to do. Let's not forget how badly our coverage units played today too.

The defense didn't play well at all in the second half, but I think a lot of it in the first half was being handed terrible field position due to what the offense and special teams were not able to do. Let's not forget how badly our coverage units played today too.

It didn't play well in the 4th quarter. It did it's job for 3 quarters but it was eventually gonna give up a long drive like most average defenses do. Our coverage units sucked IMO largely because Sanchez had time to drop back, do his taxes, sexually assault a 14 year old girl, and then look for which receivers were open. That long pass to Edwards for example Sanchez had time to literally direct Edwards where to go with his eyes and then step into a great pass.

When I was watching line play, I saw an utter lack of setting the edge (Especially by TBC; Jesus he's terrible against the Jets) and absolutely every d-linemen getting pushed around except Wilfork. The loss of Richard Seymour just keeps rearing it's damn head. You can't stop the run in the playoffs with 1 competent D-linman, it's just not possible. And Mayo was just getting blocked out like a mad man.

Wasn't Vince Wilfork supposed to be a dominant run stopper?

He always seems to disappear against the elite centers of the NFL, like Mangold and O'Hara and Saturday. I don't think the Pats had that problem during the one season that Ted Washington was around. I'm not saying that he's overrated but it's been a disturbingly recurring pattern since the 2007 AFC Championship game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back