PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Evaluating what we need in free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need both a major shift in our defensive approach and an upgrade in key areas, especially the pass rush. We can't count on Vrabel being more than a role player. Woods is a great STer but will never be a Lamar Woodley type of disruptor. Crable, Redd and Robertson all have potential but haven't shown anything. A disruptive defense with an aggressive pass rush and multiple schemes is what we need, not a soft "prevent" defense where the DBs give a wide cushion and the front 7 generates no pressure. I'm really tired of the Jay Feeleys and Seneca Wallaces having career games against us.

Mayo - Do the Pats really need Woods to be a "Lamarr Woodley" type of disruptor? Or do they need him to be a Mike Vrabel type OLB who can set the edge, drop into coverage or rush the passer?

The Pats best years of rushing the passer came when they could bring any one of the 4 LBers on the pass rush. Not just an OLB.

Mayo - Do the Pats really need Woods to be a "Lamarr Woodley" type of disruptor? Or do they need him to be a Mike Vrabel type OLB who can set the edge, drop into coverage or rush the passer?

The Pats best years of rushing the passer came when they could bring any one of the 4 LBers on the pass rush. Not just an OLB.

A healthy Mike Vrabel really would be the best medicine for this defense b/c they would have exactly what you're talking about here. Vrabel, AD on the outside with good pass rushing skills and Mayo & Guyton inside with the ability to rush as well. I hope this is one area where Mayo improves this offseason, but just in general, if we're in a 2-4 nickel, you can have any 1-3 players out of the 4 LBs rush. That advantage in terms of scheme might be more valuable than a pass rushing demon.

I'd be happy with either. I certainly agree that I would like to be able to bring the pass rush from anywhere - all 4 LBs, S and CB in addition to the front DL - but I'll defer to more experienced hands as to which type of player would best fit our needs.

In my dreams we would free up Mayo and Guyton to rush the passer more in 2009, possibly draft a SILB capable of bringing pressure inside (Spikes, Maualuga, or Connor Barwin/Cliff Sintim converting inside; more than just a run-stopping thumper), and have an OLB capable of bringing effective pressure in addition to AD. I don't see Mike Vrabel being that player. anymore on a regular basis, but I hope I'm wrong.

A healthy Mike Vrabel really would be the best medicine for this defense b/c they would have exactly what you're talking about here. Vrabel, AD on the outside with good pass rushing skills and Mayo & Guyton inside with the ability to rush as well. I hope this is one area where Mayo improves this offseason, but just in general, if we're in a 2-4 nickel, you can have any 1-3 players out of the 4 LBs rush. That advantage in terms of scheme might be more valuable than a pass rushing demon.

The nice thing about a 2-4 Nickel is that its not really that different than a 3-3 Nickel because one of the 2 OLBs is usually rushing. Though, being able to confuse the defense by dropping both OLBs into coverage and bringing either Mayo or Guyton on the rush would be nice as well.

That being said, a true SILB next to Mayo is needed for the regular 3-4. I like Guyton, but I just don't see him as an every down LBer right now. He doesn't have the sand in the pants to play the SILB position.

The nice thing about a 2-4 Nickel is that its not really that different than a 3-3 Nickel because one of the 2 OLBs is usually rushing. Though, being able to confuse the defense by dropping both OLBs into coverage and bringing either Mayo or Guyton on the rush would be nice as well.

That being said, a true SILB next to Mayo is needed for the regular 3-4. I like Guyton, but I just don't see him as an every down LBer right now. He doesn't have the sand in the pants to play the SILB position.

I agree 100% w pretty much all of this. The 2-4 is perfect once we have a healthy and productive Vrabel, though I do like how the 3-3 keeps you bigger and was used effectively at the end of the year. Both have their place and can be used in different situations, but the 2-4 has the most deception involved. I'd love to see more interior blitzes and having AD and Vrabel both drop, they're both up to it, and if Guyton and Mayo can improve their pass rushing skills, maybe put on a few pounds and stay lightning fast, then it could be a great asset.

I also agree Guyton may not be the answer at SILB for the reasons you cite. We'll see how they address that in the offseason, [maybe via draft, or they could always address it by moving AD inside on rushing downs and starting Woods.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes