PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Euro 2008

Holland 4-1 France
Berne, Switzerland.
Quite simply a magnificent game!
Holland went 1 up early on and Les Bleus were not interested. Then, after 35mins of the 1st half, we had a game on our hands. I take my hat of to the French, they took a hold of the game and worked their socks off. To no avail though.
If anyone who watched this game saw the miss my Henry, you will know what I'm talking about when I say that this was the most pivotal point in the game. With the keeper to beat, all he had to do was lift the ball over his head into the goals. He lifted over the keeper, but also miles over the goal as well!
Shocking miss!
The Dutch went 2 up just after this with a great goal by V.Persie, 59mins.
French came back to score through a great goal by T.Henry. 2-1.
The Dutch went right up the park a minute later to score again. 3-1. A fabulous finish by Arjen Robben.
French fought on gamely, but were unlucky.
Sneijder scored a 4th for the Oranje to make the final score 4-1 with a fantastic goal.
Words to describe this game mean nothing unless you have seen it. It was a magnificent contest.
The French now play the Italians next week in the last game. The Dutch play Romania. Personally, I would like to see Romania go through, but more likely, the winner of the first game will go through. For me, it will be Italy. But what a game this will be!
What a fantastic tournament :D
I had to tape both games and watch them later due to a birthday party I was told to attend for a certain 8year old girl, my daughter Ciara. She actually told her mother that it was ok for her dad to miss it because there were 2 very important games taking place! I kid you not! What a girl!!:D:D
Her mother, on the other hand, warned me that I could not afford the divorce fees if I didn't attend.:eek:

She actually told her mother that it was ok for her dad to miss it because there were 2 very important games taking place! I kid you not! What a girl!!:D:D
Her mother, on the other hand, warned me that I could not afford the divorce fees if I didn't attend.:eek:

ROFLMAO.. that sound familiar hehehe
gratz on your daughters b-day

Spain 2-1 Sweden
Russia 1-0 Greece

Greece, having lost their 2 games, cannot now qualify.:D The worst team in the tournament. A meaningless game v Spains 'B' team is all they have left.
With Spain scoring a last minute winner v Sweden, they now qualify for the last 8 where they will probably play either Italy of France. No easy game. As I've said before, I think it will be Italy. I would then take Italy to beat Spain.;)
The 2nd placed team in the group will be the winner of the Sweden v Russia game. A hard one to call. They will meet Holland in the last 8.:eek:

Turkey 3-czech republic 2
Game of the tournament

turkey score 2 goals in the space of about 5 minutes to go 3-2 up from 2-1 down,
then turkeys goalkeeper gets sent off, and so tuncay goes in goal because the turks have used all their subs
then the ref books someone on the czech bench( I think it was milan baroch)
and now turkey are through and have just knocked out czech republic!
more games like this please!

Turkey 3-2 Czech Rep
Yes, lots more games like this! What a finish to the game. Marvellous stuff!
Another £5 into the bookies pockets though.:mad:
Croatia next for the Turks. I fancy the Croats for this one, but after last night, who knows. I don't think the Austrian police will be looking forward to the fans of these 2 countries meeting up in beautiful Vienna. :eek: Both sets very loud and volatile, added to this there is the religious differences.

Croatia 1-0 Poland
Germany 1-0 Austria
Best 2 teams in this group have went through to the next round.

Quarter Finals so far:
Croatia V Turkey
Portugal V Germany

From what I've seen so far I think Holland, Portugal or Croatia is winning this hing. I'll be rooting for Holland since Croatia knocked England out of it.

Italy v France = Zzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

Italy advance through, but other than that, what a boring match. One thing good that came out of this loss for the French....Domenech needs to be sacked. And I don't care what people say about Benz. Clearly he has skills and is a solid player, but lest he learns to make runs without the ball, he'll always be average.

Neither team though really distinguished itself. Italy merely screwed up less.

Italy 2-0 France
Holland 2-0 Romania
Wotan, you are correct, a double snorefest. I switched over tv channels well before the games finished. In the end, I couldn't care less who finished in second place behind the Dutch.
As a result of tonights games, Holland and Italy go forward to the qtr finals.
For Italy, the loss of Pirlo and Gattuso for the semi v Spain, could prove detrimental to their chances.
For Les Bleus, it was a horror game for them with the loss of Riberry through injury and Abidal getting sent off. They need to go home now, unpack their egos, and give some thought to putting in a bit of effort to qualify for the World Cup in South Africa 2010.

Euro 2008 Quarter Finals
Portugal V Germany
Croatia V Turkey
Spain V Italy
Holland V Sweden/Russia

France really lacked balls in this tournament. Leadership, commitment and balls. Holland surprised me a little. Not in terms of talent, I thought they lacked strength in depth before the tournament and Italy and France would come through but since neither Italy or France showed up this year, Holland took them apart and fair play to them.

I fancied Croatia as a team to watch beforehand and so far so good. Although he's ex Evertonian I can't help but like Slaven Bilic. Enthusiastic and speaks his mind and no doubt he'll be requested by many clubs in the coming years.

Looking forward to the rest of the tournament now and Germany-Portugal should be decent, purely because both defences are weak, one in terms of positional sense and mobility and Portugals defending high balls and set pieces, something Klose especially can feed on. Gomez won't be up to much though as usual this summer, I'd consider moving Poldolski up top with Klose as Poldolski especially has been dangerous. I know Italy have been poor but nobody really knows if Spain can get it together in a tournament when it really matters so it'll be interesting to see who comes out on top, then again Toni needs about 20 chances this tournament and Villa needs one.

Last edited:
now the 'real' Euro 2008 starts...after this evening we will have the 4th finals ready

we will play against Spain next Sunday

imho we playied quite well against France yesterday evening

Russia 2-0 Sweden
Spain 2-1 Greece

An impressive Russian team secure 2nd place in the group, and a qtr final place V Holland, with this victory over a tired looking Sweden. It was good to see the Dutch coach's side attack from the beginning, and even when 2 up, still going for more. A very enjoyable game to watch.
Strange to see thousands of Russian fans supporting their team away from home, when a few years ago virtually no-one was allowed out of their country. Very noisy and colourful. It is clear to see that they have got their act together, regarding football anyway, and will pose a threat in the forthcoming years. It will be no fun to draw a Russian club side in any of the European cup competitions.
As for Sweden, time up for about 1/2 of their squad. Time for some new blood. No more finals, I think, for 36 year old Henrik Larsson. He has served his country well, and all the clubs he has been with. It was my pleasure to watch him for 7 years, scoring 242 goals. He will remain always in the hearts of Glasgow Celtic supporters. The 'King of Kings' indeed.:D
All 4 games left to play are very interesting. Will look forward to watching them with a few beers.:p

Quarter Finals
Portugal V Germany
Croatia V Turkey
Spain V Italy
Holland V Russia

I'll be rooting for russia and turkey as they are the underdogs!!

anyway the Euro 2008 looks at the moment the best one since (imho) 1988

Forza Azzurri !

Goal for Germany :rocker::rocker: . Rember 08.07.2006

Germany wins 3-2 :rocker:. Yes baby.

Portugal 2-3 Germany
2 great goals for the Germans takes them into the semi-finals. A very good game to watch. Portugal had some chances and, imho, played the better football. Deco played really well. They are a loss to the tournament, but hats off to Joachim Low and his troops. They put the Portuguese under pressure right from the start and were rewarded with 2 great goals. It was only natural that they sit back and invite Portugal to come to them. Some poor decision making by the Portuguese forwards when they got into dangerous positions. Shooting instead of passing, picking the wrong pass and poor deliveries from the wings. The pivitol point of the game was the miss from Pepe from a corner kick.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back