PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Euro 2008

It seems to me that the Portugese and their fans have every right to feel cheated about the outcome. How a ref misses the Ballack push-off for the game winning goal is beyond me. Nevertheless, a great, entertaining match and the German aerial prowess and sheer size and strength was the deciding advantage for the black and white.

Also, I agree with Ciara's Dad that the Portugese side wasted many opportunties and nearly 5-8 minutes of the game with a constant stream of improbable 30 metre blast attempts, but at the same time, when there were 5 white jerseys in the box verses 2-3 reds, I understand the decisions by the Portugese players.

[still a bit of shocked at the Russian side's quality play following their dismal opener]

Turkey=unbelievable

extra time, croatia score with less than a minute to go, four seconds left and then turkey score, Penalty kicks now!

I'm totally speechless right now....

Talk about a cinderella team WOW

Croatia 1-1 Turkey after 90mins of normal time and another 30mins extra.
Turkey win it on penalty kicks.:(
What an ending to a game!
Let's not discuss the normal 90mins. It was terrible. Turks not wanting to attack at all. Croatia had the chances.
In extra time however, the Croats tired badly, and the Turks came into the game. They were the better team.
With 2mins left in the game, Croatia score. Then, with the very last kick of the game, Turkey equalize! Unbelievable.
The better team, imho, have gone out of the tournament.
The Turks now play the Germans in the first semi-final. The Germans will be licking their lips at the prospect of facing this poor team. I suppose the bookies are never wrong, and this is why they were pre-tournament favs.
I have been wrong now in my predictions in the first 2 semis, so get your money on Italy and Russia to win the next 2 semis.;)

Yes, congratulations to Turkey on another come from behind, improbable win.

An ugly match throughout but nevertheless a scrappy, hard fought battle. Still, Croatia gets the win for the biggest choke job of the tournament thus far.

Yes, congratulations to Turkey on another come from behind, improbable win.

An ugly match throughout but nevertheless a scrappy, hard fought battle. Still, Croatia gets the win for the biggest choke job of the tournament thus far.

Which is great because they kept my team out of the tourney

England kept themselves out the tournament because they're not good enough. Overrated, overpaid squad with massive ego's which unfortunately seems to be the atitude of English players in todays game, they all think they're better than they actualy are. Thats half of the reason why we don't operate as a team. If anything though Capello is the man to bring those ego's back down to earth. Then we have the arrogance of some sections in this country to suggest the tournament misses England and it's not the same without us. It's laughable considering most teams in the tournament would beat us and be quite comfortable in doing so. Well, maybe not France as a my local amatuer side woud have took them apart this tournament.

I was dissapionted to see Croatia go out as I quite like them. They've shown heart and overwhelming determination in this tournament aswell as some crafty football. They'd give anybody a good game unlike Turkey who wouldn't know what imagination and ability was if it smacked them in the face.

England kept themselves out the tournament because they're not good enough. Overrated, overpaid squad with massive ego's which unfortunately seems to be the atitude of English players in todays game, they all think they're better than they actualy are. Thats half of the reason why we don't operate as a team. If anything though Capello is the man to bring those ego's back down to earth. Then we have the arrogance of some sections in this country to suggest the tournament misses England and it's not the same without us. It's laughable considering most teams in the tournament would beat us and be quite comfortable in doing so. Well, maybe not France as a my local amatuer side woud have took them apart this tournament.

I was dissapionted to see Croatia go out as I quite like them. They've shown heart and overwhelming determination in this tournament aswell as some crafty football. They'd give anybody a good game unlike Turkey who wouldn't know what imagination and ability was if it smacked them in the face.
I agree with almost everything you say, but I'm not so sure about F.Capello. The man, I believe, who would kick the egoists into touch is sitting in a BBC studio working as an analyst. A chance was missed in not appointing Martin O'Neill as manager when the FA opted for McClaren.:confused:
Another one to watch out for in the future as a probable manager is Paul Ince.
Going back to the Croatia game, how much did you want to take that whistle off the Italian ref and stick it where the sun don't shine!:eek: In general, the refs have been of very high standard, but Mr Rosetti should join Mr Webb on the plane home. He was blowing for fouls on players who weren't even touched. Most frustrating.:mad:
Dutch to win by 3 tonight. ;)

I agree with almost everything you say, but I'm not so sure about F.Capello. The man, I believe, who would kick the egoists into touch is sitting in a BBC studio working as an analyst. A chance was missed in not appointing Martin O'Neill as manager when the FA opted for McClaren.:confused:
Another one to watch out for in the future as a probable manager is Paul Ince.
Going back to the Croatia game, how much did you want to take that whistle off the Italian ref and stick it where the sun don't shine! In general, the refs have been of very high standard, but Mr Rosetti should join Mr Webb on the plane home. He was blowing for fouls on players who weren't even touched. Most frustrating.:mad:
Dutch to win by 3 tonight

The appoitment of Steve McClaren was absolute madness. He got the job because he was English. Couldn't be nothing else because he's relatively new to management and has achieved nothing. I thought International managers, like the players, were meant to be selected because they are the dog's bollocks in their field, the very best and proven. O'Neill, he's good and would have been a million miles more adept than McClaren but he's still not as good as I would like for International level, not yet. Capello commands respect, he's ruthless and tactically spot on. You follow football so you'll know yourself the success he's had with numerous teams, his sacking from Madrid was baffling considering he'd just released Barca's grip on La Liga.

Alot of the foriegn ref's are very fussy. It's becoming that way now you can't even breathe on a player without giving a foul away. They don't like feet seemingly off the floor, shoulder to shoulder challenges and they're card happy. Whats even more concerning is the ref's in the premier league are slowly becoming just as fussy. You can't do nothing anymore and for a contact sport it's becoming a joke.

I need to stop complaining today :D Yeah, if Holland are half as devastating as they have been they should come through.

:D Yeah, if Holland are half as devastating as they have been they should come through.

I'm typing 8 minutes from the end of extra time, but there's only been one team in it. Great performance by the Russians!

That sucked, where was my team from the last 3 matches??

RUssia was great and deserved it.

Depressed now :(

Yikes. I find myself again in a stake of shock but this time, it's more pernicious and double edged.

First and foremost, congratulations to the Russian side who really dominated this match. Giving credit to Hiddink alone isn't fair to the players who played with so much heart, strength and skill to outclass the Dutch side from start to finish. Arshavin played like a man possessed who would not and could not be denied. Easily the man of the match.

As far the Dutch side is concerned, I was rooting for this team because they played such quality, beautiful football in the prelims. But as I feared, when it got to the knock out round when the games really matter, they imploded and the quality of play disappeared. Hell, even in their fourties or fifties or whatever it is, Jaap Staam and one of the de Boer brothers could have done a better job in defense. I'm nearly bald now since I've torn out so much of my hair watching this thoroughly irritating match.

Whines aside, great win by the Russian squad.

I'm typing 8 minutes from the end of extra time, but there's only been one team in it. Great performance by the Russians!

Very true, Hiddink does it again sending out another well organised side. That was the Dutch side I thought would turn up before the tournament, lacking in areas, experience and now, after playing some brilliant football this summer we tip them to win, they lose!

Robben out again, is he really that injury prone or does he just play when he feels like? Have to echo spook, where was that team that displayed the passion and enthusiasm? The Dutch just didn't want it and the look of shock on Van Bastens face said it all...

Fantastic performance by the Russians. Just as I predicted.:eek: Not!
I'm now 0/3 in the qtr finals predictions. So get your money on the Italians tomorrow night.;)
Surely one of the group winners must go into the semis! Will it be Espana?

Well, not having watched any of the Group matches, I can only say that I'm surprised by what I saw compared with what I had read.

Germany were excellent if (to me) boring -- lots of big defenders and mid-fielders behind the ball, all of them good on the break and very dangerous at the set piece -- and Croatia and Holland can have absolutely no complaints.

Can the Russians put together another two more performances like that or should I put my money on the Germans for the title?

Half-time in the Spain-Italy game.

It's not that I want Spain to win, but, my goodness, how I want Italy to lose. Everything that I hate about football -- defensive gamesmanship, wrestling in the penalty area on every free kick, blackmailing the referee by little niggles that he would look petty if he whistled for but which, overall, make the game impossible. Yes, it's all there. I love Italy but I HATE Italian football.

Anyway, I think I'll probably switch over to the paint drying contest on the other channel -- it'll be more exciting.

Halftime.
Spain 0-0 Italy
A complete bore. No desire from the Italians. Terrible stuff.:mad:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Back