PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Euro 2008

Spain 0-0 Italy, after normal and extra-time.
Spain win on penalties!:D
Than God that is over. Delighted for the Spaniards. Italy deserved nothing with their negative play. They came for penalties and they got them. A victory for the attack minded Spanish is a result for football.
It is a pity that in the group stages the Dutch couldn't have layed down to the Romanians so the Italians would've been put out, then we wouldn't have had to endure 120mins of tedium from them.

Semi Finals
Germany V Turkey
Spain V Russia

I don't expect much from the first game unless Germany score early on. Otherwise, Turkey will go for penalties.
In the other game, a potential cracker.
I hope Germany win the first game and I don't really care who wins the second.

I love Italy but I HATE Italian football.
Agree in sentiment, but I personally wouldn't go as far to say I too hate Italian football. Some of my favorite all time players dressed for the Italian squad in Baggio and Maldini. Flip side is, two guys I hate with a passion also happen to play or have played for the Italian squads in Totti and now De Rossi.

Also, not to defend the cynical tactics witnessed today, but wasn't this expected? Without Canavarro and with Villa and his high octane offense running circles around defenders in this tournament, I actually thought it was a smart strategy from Donadoni to concede possession, the midfield, stack the box with white jerseys and play for counter strike lofts into Toni. Just didn't work out and the Spanish keeper fared better than Buffon. Said this, I'm glad Italy are out.

I see Germany beating Turkey handedly considering they're the stronger side even if Turkey had not lost the most skilled players to injuries.

I also can't see how Hiddink's squad will neutralize the Spanish offensive's skills, creativity and organization. Puyol is again playing like the rock so I really can't imagine Arshavin enjoying the same level of success against the Spanish defense as he did against the Dutch.

Given my track record in forecasting this tournament, this will most likely mean Turkey meets Russia in the final.

Congratulations to the Spaniards though.

Since we have a few days until the next match, what's a football thread without "seperated at birth" posts:

manutd-cristiano-ronaldo.jpg

and....

marie-osmond.jpg

======================

Robin_van_Persie_celeb_v_Sunderland_580752.jpg

and...

padmeamidala.jpg

and this time the 'penalties lottery' goes against us

compliments and credit to Spain but it was tough for us without Cannavaro, Pirlo, Gattuso

Toni was a non factor and i would have substituted him

great game from Chiellini and Zambrotta

going out at 4th finals (also @ penalties) it is not what we expected but i was not thinking this italian team would have won either

Toni has been a non factor all tournament. He was awkward but thats it. I lost count how many chances he's missed this tournament and if Italy had somebody who could score this summer they might of faired a little better. Mario Gomez is another, dreadful this tournament.

the 'old' Inzaghi would have made a couple of goals...

now lets' see the Donadoni future - he will not re-sign

i do not have nothing at all against him but in Italy the pressure is at the top when you talk about soccer and when you fail...

i always loved Roberto Donadoni as a player and i hv nothing against him (personally i would like that he will stay) as head coach too

but Boriello would have been a nice help yesterday imho

Last edited:
The Italian referee, Roberto Rosetti, has been selected for the final.:mad:
He was in charge of Croatia V Turkey and, imho, brutal!
The divers, squealers, cheats, feigners and 'simulators' will be delighted.
That is not the message UEFA should be sending out. There have been some good refereeing performances at this tournament who play advantage well, tell the divers and cheats to get up, and ignore the squeals of players who dramatically collapse to the ground. One of these refs should have been given the game.

Twenty minutes into the Germany-Turkey game.

I've got to admit that I only had it on because I had a really long, tiring day and was too lazy to do anything else, but, so far, it's been a terrific game.

In the beginning, the Turks were far more lively and incisive. Then they scored and, as so often happens, it woke the Germans up and they scored a terrific, typical counter-attacking goal. Now both of them are punching away (Podolski just missed the goal on a breakaway).

There are going to be more goals here before too long!

Halftime
Basel, Switzerland.
Germany 1-1 Turkey.:D
Great game! Completely unexpected. Turks superb, Germans very poor. Turks could be 3 up.:eek: Germans very lucky to be still in the game, 1 attack= 1goal.
Comlacency by Deutschland? Great tactics by Turkish manager?
A word for the Swiss ref, Massimo Busacca. Superb refereeing.;)
Looking forward to the 2nd half.:p

Another good thing.

I'm in Berlin, watching on German TV. The "fan mile" by the Brandenburg Gate is full (that is, over 500,000 people are there) and there are lots of Turks as well as Germans. The atmosphere is great and the German TV is running it as a story looking at fans from both sides (reporters in Istanbul, interviews with Turkish fans as well as Germans).

Football bringing nations closer together? All for it!

Another good thing.

I'm in Berlin, watching on German TV. The "fan mile" by the Brandenburg Gate is full (that is, over 500,000 people are there) and there are lots of Turks as well as Germans. The atmosphere is great and the German TV is running it as a story looking at fans from both sides (reporters in Istanbul, interviews with Turkish fans as well as Germans).

Football bringing nations closer together? All for it!

We'll see what happens after the final whistle!!:eek:

ESPN WTF? Are you serious?

Germany 2-1 up.
Didn't see the goal. No pictures again.:mad::mad:

4mins to go.
Turkey equalize!
Germany 2-2 Turkey
German keeper again at fault, but well deserved by the Turks.

turkey again!!!(shemmi) 2-2

doesn't help that the sound is ten minutes ahead of the pictures either!!

89min
Germany score!
Germany 3-2 Turkey
Great goal by the German left-back.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back