PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Champions League 2008/9

The group stages have started. Each team plays 6 games, 3 home and 3 away, against the other 3 teams in the group.

Matchday 1
An expected win for Chelsea playing at home. A good win for Liverpool away in France. A decent draw in the Ukraine for Arsenal. Poor home draws for Celtic and Manu.

Matchday 2
Wins for Liverpool and Arsenal at home. A win for Manu in Denmark. Chelsea get a draw in Romania. Celtic go down 1-0 to Villarreal in Spain. :(

Matchday 3
A great win for Arsenal in a hostile stadium in Turkey. Chelsea win at home against Italian team Roma. Liverpool draw against Atletico Madrid in Madrid.
Manchester U beat Celtic 3-0 at home in the 'Battle of Britain' match. :(
We play them again in 2 weeks in Glasgow. I will be hoping for a bit more effort than we got last night. Very embarassing. We were lucky to get nil!!

We should have had that game wrapped up at half time. Madrid were poor for 60 minutes and we were too casual, could kill Keane aswell trying to be clever.

Matchday 4

Chelsea go down 3-1 to Roma in Italy. :D At Anfield, a contentious penalty decision well into stoppage time gives Liverpool a draw against the Senors of Athletico Madrid. Arsenal also draw at home against their Turkish opposition.

In Glasgow, Celtic and Manu draw 1-1. Celtic were battered for much of the game, and the gulf now between the rich and poor leagues is as wide as the Grand Canyon! We even had an under 19 player, who has never started a game, up front due to injuries. The Manu subs cost more than our club!!
YouTube - Celtic v Man United Let The People Sing Some pix from the game.
As for the Manu fans, well, their anti-Catholic songs were shameful to a club whose most famous manager was a Scots Catholic. I hope all the deluded Irish who follow this team heard their songs. What a shower of arrogant bastards. They even have the cheek to complain about only getting a draw!
No humilty whatsoever. I hope they get their comeuppance.:mad:
Rant over. :)
PS Manc fans take note. That is what a stadium full of supporters is meant to sound like, now take a good hard look at that snorefest, OT.

thats all that they know to do...make money from television commercials...:D

Matchday 5

Wins for Liverpool and Arsenal at home. Draws for Manu and Chelsea away.
Celtic lose in Denmark to a pub team. :mad:

Liverpool, Manu and Arsenal have now qualified from their groups and go forward to the last 16. Celtic are out of the competition altogether. Let's hope Chelsea join them! ;)

Matchday 6

The last round of games in the league section meant a lot of meaningless games for some teams. The English teams had already qualified and Celtic couldn't qualify not matter their result. :mad:
So, wins for Chelsea, Liverpool and Celtic, :D, and a draw for Manu.

Next up for the English teams is the draw for the next round. 16 teams in the hat which will result in 8 match ups.

Tues/Wed 24th/25th Feb 2009

The last 16 teams played over the last 2 nights.

Tues
Arsenal 1-0 Roma
Atletico Madrid 2-2 Porto
Inter Millan 0-0 Manu
Lyon 1-1 Barcelona

Wed
Chelsea 1-0 Juventus
Real Madrid 0-1 Liverpool
Sporting Lisbon 0-5 Bayern Munich
Villarreal 1-1 Panathanaikos

Looking good for the English teams to go through to the next round.
Congratulations to Liverpool. Not many teams win in the Bernabeau Stadium in Madrid.

Tues/Wed 10th/11th March

2nd legs of the matches were played over the last 2 nights.
(Aggregate scores in brackets)

Tues
Liverpool 4-0 Real Madrid (5-0)
Bayern Munich 7-1 Sporting Lisbon (12-1)
Juventus 2-2 Chelsea (2-3)
Panathanaikos 1-2 Villarreal (2-3)

Wed
Manu 2-0 Inter Milan (2-0)
Roma 1-0 Arsenal (1-1) Arsenal through on penalty kicks
Barcelona 5-2 Lyon (6-3)
Porto 0-0 Athletico Madrid (2-2) Porto through on the away goals rule

Brilliant Liverpool destroy Madrid.
Excellant win for the Germans from Munich.
Chelsea bastards through. :mad:
Manu too strong for Inter and their manager, Jose M. He'll be back in England at some stage I think.
Great night for the Gunners.
Barca easing along.
4 English teams in the last 8.

Draw for the quarter finals on Fri 20th March.

There is only Bareclona who will stop it being an all english final AGAIN.

Chelsea are a different team now Hiddink is in charge.. drogba is back to his best and our midfield is already world class and it just got better now Essien is back.

The way the english teams are playing at the minute i wouldn't want to play any of them.

Chelsea v Liverpool final.

I don't think I've ever seen the gulf in class so big between the English sides and the continental teams. Platini will be doing his nut if it's an all premiership final again, after all, all this 6+5 bollocks is because of the English dominance.

If it were French, Spanish or Italian sides not a word would be said.

There is only Bareclona who will stop it being an all english final AGAIN.

Chelsea are a different team now Hiddink is in charge.. drogba is back to his best and our midfield is already world class and it just got better now Essien is back.

The way the english teams are playing at the minute i wouldn't want to play any of them.

Chelsea v Liverpool final.

Let's hope for a English vs English in QF and a second one in SF... :D

Barcelona vs Liverpool would be a great final.

I don't think I've ever seen the gulf in class so big between the English sides and the continental teams. Platini will be doing his nut if it's an all premiership final again, after all, all this 6+5 bollocks is because of the English dominance.

If it were French, Spanish or Italian sides not a word would be said.

I don't know if Platini is actually trying to affect English sides, but I think the 6+5 is a good idea... it's terrible to see, for example, Arsenal vs Inter without English or Italian players on the field...

I just don't see anyone touching the English teams. Barca are an awesome team but when it comes down to grinding results out, they can't do it.

Plantini's face is going to be a picture if the trophy stays in england.:)

I don't know if Platini is actually trying to affect English sides, but I think the 6+5 is a good idea... it's terrible to see, for example, Arsenal vs Inter without English or Italian players on the field...

Platini has an agenda against the English sides and has done nothing but prove it since his term started. He's called us cheats and he hasn't been very complimentry to the English game even though it's the most powerful in world football. The mans pathetic. English football has recieved alot of snide remarks from the foriegn hirerachy since we started owning the continent.

It saddens me but it's a fact, the current generation of English players are not good enough and for the top teams to stay there they must have talented players. The english players that are good enough are priced out of reality. Man United alone spent 65 million on Rooney and Ferdinand. That 65 million could have bought you at the time of their transfers Torres, Christiano Ronaldo, Mascherano, Robben ect ect. The foriegn players are alot better and a hell of alot cheaper so it's no wonder clubs opt for them, in the players I listed case, the very best players in their posistion. We spend 17 million on Mascherano while Man United tried to fill their void in that posistion with 40 million on Carrick and Hargreaves, both average to good players while Mascherano is the best holding midfielder in world football so it makes business sense to sign Mascherano.

The current top two teams in europe, Man U and Liverpool do actualy have a Good basis of British lads. The majority of Liverpools English quota for CL squads are younger players but they're there and coming through none the less. United field the likes of Rooney, Fletcher, Carrick, Giggs, Ferdinad ect whilst we have Gerrard, Carragher, Spearing, Kelly, Darby ect.

People talk about how great Barcelonas youth system is. Messi, Thiago, Assulin, Dos santos (now at spurs),...Not Spanish. Barca roasted Arsenal for taking Fabregas when Barca do excactly the same. The quota of Spanish lads Barcelona bring through is really no more than Man United and Liverpool have done with English boys. Granted Arsenal do need to start bringing them through but that is one club, Platini however paints it different to suit his agenda.

If you want to see the best youth academy in world football though I'd personally look at Spoting in Portugal. The talent they continue to bring through is unreal, homegrown talent.

Last edited:
Platini just has issues with english football full stop. if the best players in the world are in england, so what. he needs to get over it. if you look at the 4 top teams left they all have english stars in there team who in the most part are the key players.

Arsenal - Theo Walcott

Man Utd - Rooney, Carrick, Scholes, Ferdinand.

Chelsea - JT, Lampard, Ashley cole, Joe cole

Pool - Stevie G, Carragher.

there all important if not the most important players on there team. i just can't wait until the trophy stays in england.

:eek: I hope not!!!:eek:

It's going to happen. i would go as far as saying that, if teams from outside the EPL don't get there acts together and mantain there star players this english domination of the trophy will carry on....and on...and on. we're simply too strong! i love me some english domination!

Wonder who we'll get. They had a mock draw when they were testing the computers earlier today and they had Liverpool playing Villareal, Man U v Arsenal and Chelsea against Bayern I think.

Some questions will be raised if they come out tommorow.

Quarter Final Draw

Liverpool v Chelsea :eek:
Manu v Porto
Villarreal v Arsenal
Barcelona v Bayern Munich

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back