PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Euro 2008

Spain v. Russia

Can't say I'm all that impressed with the Spanish side despite the 2-0 lead at the half. Some excellent through balls though and I expect to see more given that the Russian squad seems incapable of neutralizing this. What strikes as a bit odd is the quality of the Spaniards' defense. With Puyols manning the middle, I had expected more quality.

Russians had chances to score. But lacking a quality finisher, no left winger to speaker of, no central defense and playing with as much enthusiam as the Azzurri showed yesterday sans the skills, the score is where it should be. Hiddink can't work magic after all. A disappointing squad and the Russian football fans deserve better.

I agree on the spanish defense , but to me their attack was very strong looking to me. And the ease they handle that ball ..very impressive.

Lets see how they do in the games to come..

Would be interesting to see spain play holland later in the tournament(allowing both qualify from their groups and the strange format of the tournament)

Spain 4-1 Russia
I enjoyed this game very much. Spain played really well at times, and the Russians also played some good stuff. No killer touch though. Senna, Xavi and Innesta were excellant in the m/field. Some superb play by Torres and Villa up front. Game was over at 2-0.
Spain will probably meet either France or Italy in the last 8, a game they can win. They will pose a threat in the tournament, but Portugal and Holland still the favourites for me.

Sweden 2-0 Greece
Awful. Simply an awful game of football. Not sure what else to say. Russia could easily beat both these teams and go through. I hope I never have to watch Greece again! Great goal from Zlatan.
A word of praise for the Swedish fans. They were brilliant. Some stunning females among them :D

Portugal 3-1 Czech Rep
A good entertaining game played by 2 technically gifted teams. The difference was the front line of Portugal. Always looked as if they would score more than the Czechs. In saying that the Portugese defence doesn't look that clever. The keeper, Ricardo, is very poor. The Czechs came close a couple of times to equalise when they were down 2-1. Deco and C.Ronaldo played well for Portugal.
I think I can kiss my £5 away. The Czech Rep won't be winners of this tournament. :(

switzerland 1 Turkey 2, amazing last minute goal by turkey, though its always disappointing to see the hosts knocked out so early

Switzerland 1-2 Turkey
Turned out to be quite an exciting game. Both teams knew they had to win to stand any chance of qualifying for the last 8. What happened after 20mins in Basel tonight was a downpour of biblical portions. The game was almost called off due to the waterlogged pitch. It made the game farcical at times, but I found I couldn't take my eyes off it due to the mistakes being made and the ball just sticking in puddles! Thankfully, the rain went off, and we got a decent 2nd half. Turks won it with a goal in the last couple of minutes.
The Turks play the Czech Rep in last game in the group. Winner takes all in that one. Should be great to watch.
Portugal are now the 1st team to qualify for the last 8.
Switzerland, I'm afraid, are now the 1st team out of the tournament. Neither Switzerland nor Austria, who co-host the tournamet, had to qualify in order to appear in the finals. If either had to, they wouldn't have got here. A lot of better teams than these 2 didn't make it, ie Scotland :D

Well, the Swiss are done and I agree that it's sad to see a host nation stick a fork into themselves. I had expected more given they played strong, quality football in the World Cup two years ago.

Didn't get to see Degen either, although it's because of fitness rather than ability (we hope). The pitch first half was a joke and dangerous, Decent game though and I bet Yakin is ruing that miss big time. Czech's highlighted Portugals weakness but didn't take advantage, especially...especially when you have a guy like Koller. Portugal centre halfs didn't have a clue what to do with crosses into the box, completely all over the place. Opposistion take note.

Good tournament so far, plenty of attacking displays and it'll be interesting to see the second round of Group C to see if Italy and France improve, two tournament favourites. David Villa has impressed me the most so far. Forget his goals I'm talking technical ability, always wanting the ball, outstanding movement, taking players on and fantastic finishing. Absolute world class display and you'll do well to find a better performance from a forward. To be fair he's been doing it in La Liga for a long time now. A few of Spains players looked a bit jaded, Iniesta and Silva in particular and for me Ramos and Puyol need to switch. Puyol is and always has been a full back in my eyes whilst Ramos, with his style would be more comfortable in the middle. On the whole theres plenty of room for improvement for Spain but for Torres and Villa, it's as you were.

Last edited:
Croatia 2-1 Germany
Klagenfurt, Austria.
A very good game played by 2 of the tournaments' heavyweights. Croatia were 2 up before the Germans pulled one back with 15mins left. In truth, Croatia could have won by a few more. They were by far the better team.
I said in an earlier post that I did not understand the favourite tag given to the Germans, and I think a lot more people will be wondering why as well.
Croatia's passing, tackling and skill levels were on a level above the Germans.
Spurs have a great signing in Luka Modric.
The Croatian fans have got to be given a mention here. From start to finish 25,000 of them danced and sung, giving their team fantastic backing. It must have been like having an extra man on the park. Not to messed with either!!
One of the downsides of losing, is that if Germany get the 2nd place, they will have to play Portugal in the qtr finals.

Croatia 2-1 Germany
Klagenfurt, Austria.
A very good game played by 2 of the tournaments' heavyweights. Croatia were 2 up before the Germans pulled one back with 15mins left. In truth, Croatia could have won by a few more. They were by far the better team.
I said in an earlier post that I did not understand the favourite tag given to the Germans, and I think a lot more people will be wondering why as well.
Croatia's passing, tackling and skill levels were on a level above the Germans.
Spurs have a great signing in Luka Modric.
The Croatian fans have got to be given a mention here. From start to finish 25,000 of them danced and sung, giving their team fantastic backing. It must have been like having an extra man on the park. Not to messed with either!!
One of the downsides of losing, is that if Germany get the 2nd place, they will have to play Portugal in the qtr finals.
a downside?????? that's good as it means both teams will really be at it, more than they would if they were playing czech republic or croatia

I'm still in shock over that complete debacle trying to pass itself off a German defense. Credit to the Croatian side for playing great football though.

Austria 1-1 Poland.
Vienna.
A shocking decision given by the English ref in the last minute, which resulted in a penalty for Austria, salvages a draw for them. The Pole has his hand on the Austrian's jersey but the Austrian doesn't need to be asked twice to go to ground in the box whilst screaming like a girl, his eyes locked on the refs, imploring him to give the pen. A draw, in actual fact, over the 90min is probably a fair result.
Neither of these 2 teams will probably qualify in any case, which isn't too bad really. Neither will be missed.

shame. I was hoping for poland to cause a bit of a shock in the competition after their superb qualifying campaign which involved them beating portugal

a downside?????? that's good as it means both teams will really be at it, more than they would if they were playing czech republic or croatia
It will indeed be a great game.
What I meant about a downside for Germany was that, if they had won their group, they would either play the Czech Rep or Turkey in the qtr final, both teams I think the Germans would beat. It would also have meant that the Portugese having to play Croatia, which is a dodgy one for them. I think the Germans would rather have had the chance of playing Croatia in the semis.;)

The Dutch are playing such exciting, beautiful football. Clearly, they're the class of the Cup thus far followed closely by Portugal. Still, despite the final score and despite Henry misfiring twice on what should have really been a treble, his one goal was a work of art. Between he and RVN, quality, world class finishers on both sides actually and match that was a joy to watch.

I'm really looking forward to Italy v France.

The Dutch are playing such exciting, beautiful football. Clearly, they're the class of the Cup thus far followed closely by Portugal. Still, despite the final score and despite Henry misfiring twice on what should have really been a treble, his one goal was a work of art. Between he and RVN, quality, world class finishers on both sides actually and match that was a joy to watch.

I'm really looking forward to Italy v France.

I am just so glad that ESPN is broadcasting these games and I am able to witness the best team Netherlands have had in years.. the secret in my opinion... Group Harmony!! no little quibbles and fights etc.. Keep it up Oranje!!

Romania 1-1 Italy.
Vienna.
Great game! The Romanians take the lead only for the Italians to equalise 1min after. Romania then missed a penalty which, probably, would have won them the game. I wanted Italy to win, but as the game went on, my heart went out to the Romanians. Fantastic football played by both teams, a draw probably the best result.

it's always fun to root for the underdogs, and I will be doing so when Romania play Holland!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back