PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eugene Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be suprised to see Geno at CB this year, and have Sanders progress at safety. We need to sign one out of the 2, Geno or Assante.

How is Eugene Wilson fragile? He's had a series of MAJOR injuries (like tearing his groin, etc.). It's simply bad luck more than anything else.

As for Wilson being a "shadow of himself," that's complete crap. He looked solid last year before he went down, and there isn't a large enough sample for you to make that judgment.

Meriweather is built the same way as... who? Ed Reed? Oh, that's right.
Cousin Jack,
I respect your opinion. I am not the only NE fan who thinks that EW has been in a slide. He is a sleek, small converted CB, playing a much bigger mans' position of safety. He had two good years and then, call it bad luck or I say wearing down, he has been hurt. I applaud his tenacity and spunk, but it has been written when Rodney went down year prior, Geno was lost.
The Colts exposed our safeties last year and Sanders was one of them, Would Rodney have made a difference? Sure. I wish he could play forever but Jack you surely can't say that a tandem of Sanders and Wilson are even close to the answer at Safety in the future?

COUSINS LETS COMMENT ON THIS. HOW MANY OF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE WILSON AND SANDERS (WHEN #37 RETIRES ONLY)AS OUR TWO STARTING SAFETIES FOR THE NEXT FOUR OR FIVE YEARS, OR CAN WE UPGRADE?

P.S. Merriweather is about 20 lbs. lighter than Ed Reed sir. His intelligence is also in question. He does have the thug factor. A Bengals pick perhaps. Not a Pats fit IMO.
DW Toys

Then why did you just go off on him?

Ok, Alk. How about you stop pretending you know what the hell it is like to go through some of the injuries he has had. They arent exactly bruises. He is going to participate in the Pats offseason program and he gets a post like that for it.

Nice, Alk.

Calm down there, judging by your avatar, you're probably not the most objetive poster when it comes to this subject.

Cousin Jack,
I respect your opinion. I am not the only NE fan who thinks that EW has been in a slide. He is a sleek, small converted CB, playing a much bigger mans' position of safety. He had two good years and then, call it bad luck or I say wearing down, he has been hurt. I applaud his tenacity and spunk, but it has been written when Rodney went down year prior, Geno was lost.
The Colts exposed our safeties last year and Sanders was one of them, Would Rodney have made a difference? Sure. I wish he could play forever but Jack you surely can't say that a tandem of Sanders and Wilson are even close to the answer at Safety in the future?

COUSINS LETS COMMENT ON THIS. HOW MANY OF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE WILSON AND SANDERS (WHEN #37 RETIRES ONLY)AS OUR TWO STARTING SAFETIES FOR THE NEXT FOUR OR FIVE YEARS, OR CAN WE UPGRADE?

P.S. Merriweather is about 20 lbs. lighter than Ed Reed sir. His intelligence is also in question. He does have the thug factor. A Bengals pick perhaps. Not a Pats fit IMO.
DW Toys

Meriweather is like 5-7 pounds lighter than Reed..
Meriweather is around 193-195 while Reed is 200

Meriweather's intelligence was never in question. Hes a smart player. He had 1 bad incident..Harrison could be argued to have been cheap/dirty

hes a Patriots fit. we brought him in. Hes a hard worker, smart player, leader, hits hard, plays pass well and hes a playmaker

. I wish he could play forever but Jack you surely can't say that a tandem of Sanders and Wilson are even close to the answer at Safety in the future?

Absolutely. The Colts picked on Hawkins, Bruschi, and Alexander. I was extremely impressed with Sanders play especially over the second half of the season. I think Sanders is the future starter at SS. The only question is whether Wilson is the starter at FS. Personally, I think Wilson and Sanders would be a fine duo but I wouldn't be opposed to drafting someone like Meriweather.

. P.S. Merriweather is about 20 lbs. lighter than Ed Reed sir. His intelligence is also in question. He does have the thug factor. A Bengals pick perhaps. Not a Pats fit IMO.

Actually, as Remix noted, he's not. His intelligence is not in question.

The Pats may or may not be interested in him, but you cannot say on face that he's not a Pats fit. If it were that clear-cut, why would they work him out. IMO, Meriweather will be a solid player in the NFL and would be a good pick for the Pats at 28.

Cousin Jack,

DW Toys

I don't really care who plays where, but anyone who think we're set at CB and safety is really engaged in wishful thinking.

Injuries caused the worst defense I've seen in the BB era in 2005, we also lost Law and we patched with a journeyman CB playing safety, two mid, (2nd and 4th) round picks and a bunch of UDFA and vet castoffs.

The patches at DB and LB have frayed and It's time to stock the pond, plain and simple. Great coaching and team work can't cover talent erosion forever.

If Wilson and Harrison are healthy this year, with the addition of Thomas and the WR's, and the draft picks, the 2007 Patriots may be their best team yet!

We're short a couple of veteran linebacker signings.

If Wilson and Harrison are healthy this year, with the addition of Thomas and the WR's, and the draft picks, the 2007 Patriots may be their best team yet!

We're short a couple of veteran linebacker signings.
Is Junior coming back? I know he is ancient but he played great last year.

I think Tedy, Vrabel, Colvin and Thomas are good for vets. And we can use some younger guys to back them up, like Alexander.

Youngsters provide development, not necessarily backup. Alexander, Woods and Mays didn't help much at all last year. No one knows whether Junior is coming back. We do need another veteran or two.

Is Junior coming back? I know he is ancient but he played great last year.

I think Tedy, Vrabel, Colvin and Thomas are good for vets. And we can use some younger guys to back them up, like Alexander.

Cousin,
I beg to differ on EW. Wilson was way to slight to be a safety anyway and it proved correct as the position has worn him down. He's a shadow of himself and only really had two good years when Rodney was younger and covered his....rump.
I agree with Merriweather. Nyet! He is built the same way. Nelson perhaps (I just don't trust the Florida players anymore wherever they are rated. I think it's a system thing) as well. I think Griffin is the closest to "Patriot" ready (ah...a new cliche), plus he is a hell of a ST dude with many blocked kicks.

Just asking to you all out there because I can't remember, was EW ever on ST?

Cousin, this draft is terrible but there are a few Safeties that are bigger and big hitters although in the 3rd to 4th rounds. Rather trade down and get one of them and build choice for 2007 or 2008. I think there is little drop off to those 3 and 4's mentioned. Rodney is 6' 1" and 215. Wilson is like 5'10" and 190. I don't want a EW clone. Example; Rouse or Piscatelli (would be a fan favorite). Those guys are both a specimen, 6'3" and 220-225, and under 4.5 speed with great college production and will knock you down. They can play in the box yet are faster perhaps than any of our CB other than Hobb
NE does not have a true FS-SS designation. It's left or right safety so you have to cover and patrol the box. EW is too fragile to do that. I think he could start CB and have Hobbs as the nickel.
DW Toys

P.S. Would like your comments on this. Piscatelli is moving up the charts. He's fast and big and always around the ball. He gains 15 or 20 lbs at 6' 3" he is Urlachers size. They made Teddy an MLB from a DE. They made Urlacher an MLB from a safety. Maybe this kid could be a MLB with some work. He plays in the box terrific and he could be a Urlacher clone. Thoughts?

This is an interesting thought...Piscatelli looks like a Pats type of player...Who would we pick with our 2 #1 picks????Trade down???Or move up for Willis or even Landry???

Cousin Jack,

DW Toys

I would and do. And the depth behind Wilson and Sanders is currently outstanding in Rodney and Hawk, and Chad and Randy, and then Mel and Rashad, and ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back