PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN is doing a top 10 Patriots ever thing tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 in the snow game, plus 1 easier one that was the first Super Bowl walkoff FG ever.

I'd add the kick against Tennessee in that Ice Bowl. That might have been his best kick ever. Or a close second to the Snow Bowl winner.

When all is said and done for Gronk.

#1 Brady
#2 Gronk
#3 Hannah
#4 Haynes
#5 Tippet
#6 Law
#7 Buonicont
#8 Armstrong
#9 Adam V.
#10 McGinest

I don't know what people are complaining about; I thought the University of Virginia looked real sharp in those uni's when they won that game Thursday night...

Those who would have trouble coming up with lists like this compared to other NFL franchises have not been watching the Patriots all these years...our guys stack up with anybody since 1960.

Chuck Fairbanks was simply a tremendous drafter; I thing he and Noll are in a class by themselves. He exploded right out of the gate when Billy Sullivan hired him; then, albeit after being kind of responsible for almost getting Jim killed by trying to turn him into a runner, he got a Walker-like booty for Plunkett from SF.

I think you've got to have at least a top fifty, in order not to exclude amazing players like Moss, Welker, Vinatieri, Dillon, Armstrong, Tatupu, Nelson, Martin, Cunningham, Fox, Bruschi, Harrison, Seymour, Clayborn, Law, man, you could make it a hundred.

So, being thusly practically impossible and unfair, here goes:

1. Tom Brady
2. John Hannah
3. Jim Nance
4. Jon Morris
5. Gino Cappelletti
6. Stanley Morgan
7. Jim Lee Hunt
8. Andre Tippett
9. Mike Haynes
10. Houston Antwine

I think it's a testament to the 21st century team, that, although there have been some superstars (some mentioned above), the team largely has remained at or near the top without a star-studded lineup...this in sharp contrast to past NFL dynasties and most in pro sports.

It's also interesting that among modern Stanley Cup winners, the Bruins' 2011 title came with virtually no superstars or league leaders, outside of Chara and Thomas.

It should go without saying, that in addition to some blatant old-timer omissions (Julius Adams, Francis, Neville, Clayborn), the Pats' HOF will have more richly deserving inductees from this era. Nevermind how brief their time was here, they played their butts off.

I'd really like to have a conversation with Robert Kraft before the '17 season, about giving Brady and the team the opportunity to play as Patriots - and the fans the chance to see them - instead of the Cowboys/Raiders helmets and Texans/Vikings/UVA disguises he's stuck them in.

I don't know what people are complaining about; I thought the University of Virginia looked real sharp in those uni's when they won that game Thursday night...

Those who would have trouble coming up with lists like this compared to other NFL franchises have not been watching the Patriots all these years...our guys stack up with anybody since 1960.

Chuck Fairbanks was simply a tremendous drafter; I thing he and Noll are in a class by themselves. He exploded right out of the gate when Billy Sullivan hired him; then, albeit after being kind of responsible for almost getting Jim killed by trying to turn him into a runner, he got a Walker-like booty for Plunkett from SF.

I think you've got to have at least a top fifty, in order not to exclude amazing players like Moss, Welker, Vinatieri, Dillon, Armstrong, Tatupu, Nelson, Martin, Cunningham, Fox, Bruschi, Harrison, Seymour, Clayborn, Law, man, you could make it a hundred.

1. Tom Brady
2. John Hannah
3. Jim Nance
4. Jon Morris
5. Gino Cappelletti
6. Stanley Morgan
7. Jim Lee Hunt
8. Andre Tippett
9. Mike Haynes
10. Houston Antwine

I think it's a testament to the 21st century team, that, although there have been some superstars (some mentioned above), the team largely has remained at or near the top without a star-studded lineup...this in sharp contrast to past NFL dynasties and most in pro sports.

It's also interesting that among modern Stanley Cup winners, the Bruins' 2011 title came with virtually no superstars or league leaders, outside of Chara and Thomas.

It should go without saying, that in addition to some blatant old-timer omissions (Julius Adams, Francis, Neville, Clayborn), the Pats' HOF will have more richly deserving inductees from this era. Nevermind how brief their time was here, they played their butts off.

I'd really like to have a conversation with Robert Kraft before the '17 season, about giving Brady and the team the opportunity to play as Patriots - and the fans the chance to see them - instead of the Cowboys/Raiders helmets and Texans/Vikings/UVA disguises he's stuck them in.
I try to be inclusive of positions, but you'll notice there's no TE. In Gronk's case, like Wes and Randy, we should remember who's throwing to them. Coates of course, was Drew's favorite target. Anybody who saw Francis play knew Cosell wasn't exaggerating. He revolutionized the position; Winslow, Gates, Gronk all came after.

1. Tom Brady
2. John Hannah
3. Jim Nance
4. Jon Morris
5. Gino Cappelletti
6. Stanley Morgan
7. Jim Lee Hunt
8. Andre Tippett
9. Mike Haynes
10. Houston Antwine
I like your list. I would like to add for one of the old timers Nick Buoniconti. He was All AFL like 5 or 6 times with the Pats before being traded. Sam Cunningham is over looked also. He is still the Patriots all time rushing leader.

I saw the show and my big problem with it is no Bruschi, and to a lesser extent, no McGinnest. Those guys were key leaders and shows up huge in big games. While Nelson may have been a better all around middle LB then Bruschi, he is not ahead of him in all-time great Patriots.

I also have an issue with Mike Haynes being ranked so high. In terms of talent of course, but for many he is remembered more as a Raider than a Patriot. For me to be a top 10 Patriot you should be remembered more as a Patriot than a player for another team.

Here's my top 10

10 - Adam Vinatieri
9 - Stanley Morgan
8 - Willie McGinnest
7 - Troy Brown
6 - Ty Law
5 - Rob Gronkowski
4 - Teddy Bruschi
3 - Andre Tippett
2 - John Hannah
1 - Tom Brady

A few more great years from Julian Edelman and he will crack the top 10. Also tough to leave Gino Cappelletti off.

Adam Vinatieri????

Dude isn't even the best kicker in team history let alone top 10 patriots all time!!

Gost is a better kicker and when he adds another ring people's perception will change about his importance. Vinatieri was fortunate that he had the circumstances to be able to kick Super bowl winning FGs. I'm pretty sure Gost would have made the kicks too - just hasn't been in the situation to do it!

I like your list. I would like to add for one of the old timers Nick Buoniconti. He was All AFL like 5 or 6 times with the Pats before being traded. Sam Cunningham is over looked also. He is still the Patriots all time rushing leader.
We couldn't believe it when Nick went to the Dolphins. He was really our best player. It's not his fault his Pats career was abbreviated, and like a LOT of others, he got his rings somewhere else.

Sam "Bam" was great, and so was Corey Dillon...I really liked him when he was with the Bengals; when he broke the single game rushing record there, his humility and emotions showed a man who understood and respected the sport, his predecessors and the honor of being the best. I still can't believe we got him - and Rodney.

Those who saw Jim Nance still consider him the the best RB we ever had. But obviously, it's pretty damned close.

Adam Vinatieri????

Dude isn't even the best kicker in team history let alone top 10 patriots all time!!

Gost is a better kicker and when he adds another ring people's perception will change about his importance. Vinatieri was fortunate that he had the circumstances to be able to kick Super bowl winning FGs. I'm pretty sure Gost would have made the kicks too - just hasn't been in the situation to do it!
Adam is, to a lot of people including me, the greatest clutch kicker in the history of the NFL. Everybody misses, but he figured out how to mentally conquer the distractions and variables that are amplified exponentially when a game is on the line, and focus on mechanics, weather, field conditions without being intimidated.

I disagreed with Belichick's decision to let him go, and it backfired in the worst way in that Adam provided the grateful Colts stability and reliability in their kicking - which they needed - and enormous locker room leadership. All Peyton had to do that year was take care of the ball and get in FG range, and then we all know how we got winded in the 2nd half of the AFCCG. So, Adam got another ring; but Gost has been all you could ask for instead. In the long run, it's worked out for both guys. Again, not Adam's fault his Pats career was cut short. Come on man, what was he gonna do, play for free? He even said he would have accepted being franchised. It was Bill's decision. And things have worked out pretty well for us that way.

I saw the show and my big problem with it is no Bruschi, and to a lesser extent, no McGinnest. Those guys were key leaders and shows up huge in big games. While Nelson may have been a better all around middle LB then Bruschi, he is not ahead of him in all-time great Patriots.

I also have an issue with Mike Haynes being ranked so high. In terms of talent of course, but for many he is remembered more as a Raider than a Patriot. For me to be a top 10 Patriot you should be remembered more as a Patriot than a player for another team.

Here's my top 10

10 - Adam Vinatieri
9 - Stanley Morgan
8 - Willie McGinnest
7 - Troy Brown
6 - Ty Law
5 - Rob Gronkowski
4 - Teddy Bruschi
3 - Andre Tippett
2 - John Hannah
1 - Tom Brady

A few more great years from Julian Edelman and he will crack the top 10. Also tough to leave Gino Cappelletti off.
Tedy Bruschi and Steve Nelson are two guys whose numbers do not convey the importance of their presence and contributions. It was amazing; any time either of them had to come off the field due to an injury, there was an immediate and obvious huge dropoff, which opponents took advantage of. Throw in Buoniconti and you've got three diamonds. I'm going to go make myself a tuna fish sandwich now:)Anyway, they're deservedly in the Pats' HOF.

Adam Vinatieri????

You can't be serious....

Here's my top 10

10 - Adam Vinatieri
9 - Stanley Morgan
8 - Willie McGinnest
7 - Troy Brown
6 - Ty Law
5 - Rob Gronkowski
4 - Teddy Bruschi
3 - Andre Tippett
2 - John Hannah
1 - Tom Brady

Welker is in before JE11

Adam is, to a lot of people including me, the greatest clutch kicker in the history of the NFL. Everybody misses, but he figured out how to mentally conquer the distractions and variables that are amplified exponentially when a game is on the line, and focus on mechanics, weather, field conditions without being intimidated.

I disagreed with Belichick's decision to let him go, and it backfired in the worst way in that Adam provided the grateful Colts stability and reliability in their kicking - which they needed - and enormous locker room leadership. All Peyton had to do that year was take care of the ball and get in FG range, and then we all know how we got winded in the 2nd half of the AFCCG. So, Adam got another ring; but Gost has been all you could ask for instead. In the long run, it's worked out for both guys. Again, not Adam's fault his Pats career was cut short. Come on man, what was he gonna do, play for free? He even said he would have accepted being franchised. It was Bill's decision. And things have worked out pretty well for us that way.

Yea it would have been better if he went somewhere else.

I think Bill was concerned that Adam was losing a little leg strength as he hadn't made a FG over 50 in a few years and in 05 had attempted the fewest # of FGs his career. Plus he was going into his mid 30s and didn't see him improving. Not sure if they made him an offer but clearly the $3.5m signing bonus the Dolts gave him was more.

Sorry guys, I'm late to the party. I only saw the special last night.

I know the top ten is more of an individual thing, but I was expecting more dynasty type players to be on the list such as Bruschi, Vrabel, Seymour, and McGinest. There were more 'old timers' than I was expecting but I'll be the first to admit that I'm biased towards the new players such I'm only old enough to know the Beldsoe and Brady eras.

The list just goes to show that we have had a lot of great players over the years and that the reality is that there was only room for 10.........so naturally you're going to have some controversial cuts.

One of the biggest difficulties is 'what criteria do you use to rank them?'........rings? Pro Bowls? career stats?

The one thing I couldn't help get out of my head though, is if someone were to ask you what players typify what it means to 'be a Patriot' or best represent the Patriots way, theses threee names pop into my head........

Tom Brady
Tedy Bruschi
Troy Brown

They provide the heart and leadership to the teams they've been on. I can see why this played a role but not a high one in this list. I'm ok with that.

The funny thing about Troy Brown is that I'd be surprised if at anytime in his career he was even considered a top 15 receiver in the league.

We've had plenty of receivers that were faster, more TDs, more highlight grabs, but Troy just had that X factor.

Since they are each in the discussion for the greatest ever to play their position, I think Brady then Hannah then Gronk pretty much nailed it as the top 3.

After that I'd go with Tippett, Morgan, Haynes, Law, McGinnest, Seymour, Bruschi

I try to be inclusive of positions, but you'll notice there's no TE. In Gronk's case, like Wes and Randy, we should remember who's throwing to them. Coates of course, was Drew's favorite target. Anybody who saw Francis play knew Cosell wasn't exaggerating. He revolutionized the position; Winslow, Gates, Gronk all came after.

skewed thinking.....Brady's been throwing to plenty of TE's and none of them were ever anything like gronk.....you are completely missing the deep mismatches he has made as well as all the plays with yac

1. Tom Brady
2. John Hannah
3. Jim Nance
4. Jon Morris
5. Gino Cappelletti
6. Stanley Morgan
7. Jim Lee Hunt
8. Andre Tippett
9. Mike Haynes
10. Houston Antwine

I've been watching all these years and I think you're wrong.....

Gronk certainly belongs on the list as the difference between him and all other TE's Brady has thrown to has been massive

Bruschi belongs on the list because of what he brought

Troy Brown belongs on the list because of the opportunities he made good on as well as his versatility in all 3 aspects of the game.

Ty Law certainly belongs on the list

the fact that some people did not see some of these guys play does not diminish the value of the current players or the players of the recent past

Troy Brown is the greatest all around football player that ever played for the Pats. Plus the talent, the leadership, the longevity and the loyalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case